UTEC IN, PossumLink OUT
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on UTEC IN, PossumLink OUT within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looks like I may be pulling my problematic PossumLink out this weekend and dropping in a UTEC (and new O2 ...

UTEC IN, PossumLink OUT

Looks like I may be pulling my problematic PossumLink out this weekend and dropping in a UTEC (and new O2 sensor to replace the one the Link fried).

Can anyone offer any insight into tuning gotchas or glitches that have been discovered thus far with the UTEC. Also, has anyone tried manually transposing their Link maps onto the UTEC? i.e. Ignition advance and fueling values etc.

-Pace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Please keep us updated as to the results!! I am very interested in the UTEC with your suite of mods.

TRAITOR!

Let us know how it goes...
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

Calibrating the TPS and the MAP is a little bit of a bear (the process is described in the manual).

Deciding which logs to use is a bit interesting (don't use raw data).

Go to wrxhackers.com and download some logging/dashboard utilities.

Make sure to get a good working copy of hyperterm going.

Double-check the map selection switch - the unit I've been helping with was on the first setting - which is STOCK and does not have an upgraded map...

The UTEC's boost control is currently like the Unichip's - less than what I would describe as STELLAR. It still needs the ABC to blow enough to push you back in the seat.

I'm sure you'll keep your SBC-id set to boil - so you should be fine.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Originally posted by phast
    TRAITOR!

Let us know how it goes...
    I am just sick of dealing with a defective product and appalling manufacturer support.

Don't worry. I have no intention whatsoever of letting the issue lie with regard to Link-USA willfully screwing us.

-Pace

For those of you that were interested, I have decided to wait 'til next month to fit the UTEC. There's a couple of reasons:

- I need a new O2 sensor to replace the one the Link destroyed.
    - The longer I wait, the more likely it is that any UTEC bugs will be addressed, and there should also be more tuning knowledge and maps in the public domain.
    - My source assures me that the base map is extremely conservative compared to my current Link map. I want to see how other local users fair with this unit before jumping onboard.

There's no question that I'm ditching the Link. Any doubt in my mind was quashed on my commute home last night when the car did something *really* strange which could have only have been an ECU-related event IMO. I actually thought I had blown my motor.

-Pace

Pace - spill!!!!!!!!!!!

What was *really* strange????????

Inquiring minds want to know!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Strange like being WOT in 2nd, shifting to 3rd, WOT, full boost, then... splutter... misfire... cough.... complete loss of power.

Of course I immediately got off the gas. After collecting myself and realizing that the car was actually still running and apparently o-k, I gradually got back into the throttle. Over the course of the next 10 miles home I gradually picked up the pace again; just getting into boost a little more each time. Everything appeared 100% normal. There was absolutely no audible knock when this occurred, but as you can imagine I near soiled myself. I thought a head gasket had let go.

A similar thing happened to me one time at the track and the logs indicated a temporary loss of fuel to the injectors. I think this is coincidental with regard to the fuel pump signal problem I have been experiencing. My hardwire has addressed that issue, and that did not manifest itself in a 'temporary' manner and neither was that an abrupt loss of power. It was more like when your car runs out of gas. This on the other hand was very very abrupt. I know the Link has a known 'interference' bug that causes some odd behavior. I got some very strange readings in my logs one time which I showed to Link-USA, but they refused to give me the fix. Phast, on the other hand experienced a similar phenomena in his logs and they offered him a replacement board. I don't know if this particular experience has anything to do with that bug - I did not have my laptop hooked up at the time of the occurrence.

I'm thinking either fuel was cut, or a massive amount of fuel was dumped. I wish it would not have been dark outside so I could have observed if any smoke was present. Anyway, I'm going to be paying very careful attention to the apparent health of my motor over the next few days to try and determine whether any permanent damage has resulted. I may go get a compression test just to put my mind at ease.

FYI: My SBC i-D was set in closed-loop mode at the time with a peak of 18.0 psi. I'm running 93.5 octane gasoline. I recently (a month ago) pulled timing and added fuel into my map to combat some knock. It was about 30 degrees outside when it occurred, and I had been cruising at light throttle for about an hour and then I got onto the gas. It was then that the problem immediately occurred.

-Pace

I'd say it sounds alot like fuel cut.

It's really sad that you guys can't have the bugs/issues sorted as the Link is a REALLY good product.

I've got my car (GC8) running just as well as with the JECS...

One thing that really puzzles me is that I've found Simon at Link Electromotive to be quite helpful and friendly, and I cannot believe that he doesn't want to help you guys out.

I do however remember a few very unpleasant posts regarding Walbro issues with the Link....it all smells like bridges burning.

Good luck tuning that Utec.

/J
    Subaru - The Beauty of All Wheel Drive

12.726@110.73 - no NAWS

Originally posted by SecretAgentMan

I do however remember a few very unpleasant posts regarding Walbro issues with the Link....it all smells like bridges burning.

The unpleasant posts occurred AFTER Link-USA flat out refused to provide us with a fix, asserting that it was not their responsibility. We then demonstrated that it was a hardware bug and not a fuel pump problem, and they have since implemented a fix which they intend to charge end-users for.

If you read that Link thread from the beginning you will notice that we were trying to cooperate and work with them on the problem initially. It is Link-USA that did the bridge burning. Not a good business decision for ANY vendor IMHO. I'm guessing that they have lost a significant number of 44S sales as a direct result of the negligence and beligerance they have shown toward us on that issue. I will be very happy when the 44S is no longer in place on my WRX.

Thanks for the UTEC encouragement. I'll keep you all up to date on how that solution works out for me.

-Pace

Pace,
    Put the UTEC in! You'll have NO problems tuning the thing. It's really quite easy once you understand it. Just take it slow, use log 1 and keep an eye out for places where timing gets pulled just a little bit.

You'll have a good map in about an hour or two of play.

Worse case, you'll throw the UTEC in the car and just have to wait a bit to tune the WOT parts of the map.

Get that o2 sensor replaced though...

-Nathan
    -Nathan
    12.3@110.4
    When in doubt, add more boost!

Originally posted by nmyeti
    Pace,
    Put the UTEC in! You'll have NO problems tuning the thing. It's really quite easy once you understand it. Just take it slow, use log 1 and keep an eye out for places where timing gets pulled just a little bit.

You'll have a good map in about an hour or two of play.

Worse case, you'll throw the UTEC in the car and just have to wait a bit to tune the WOT parts of the map.

Get that o2 sensor replaced though...

-Nathan
    I'm with Nathan. My experiences with the UTEC have been wonderful. Welcome to the fold, James. TurboXS rules!!!!

-Jim

Yah it's really not that bad of a transition Pace. I have had it on my car now for about 3000 miles. One road trip (~1200 miles) and no bugs, unexplainable stalling, etc... to report yet.
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

If you wait long enough, I just might be selling my UTEC.

I am seriously thinking about getting the ECU flashed. After sitting in a WRX with nothing but full exhaust and a flashed OEM ECU, I am almost convinced that it is the way to go. Just waiting to see how much they will be charging for this conversion. I saw the dyno chart for the car, and it is clear that the ECU's adaptive ability will give you the best all around performance and drivability.

Anyway, I have the UTEC and it definitely pulls harder than the Unichip. The torque curve stretches out a little more as the engine approches redline, and the drivability is a 8/10

The only glitch was they sent me the 93 octane map and I live in CA. I have to mix my own 93 to avoid the knock correction, and believe me, running 91 octane with the 93 octane map will make the knock sensor very angry. I am getting it dyno tuned for 91 octane next week so I can save some money on gasoline.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.