Stage 2 Boost using Accesport as Boost Guage

This is a discussion on Stage 2 Boost using Accesport as Boost Guage within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am usually getting 15.3psi (in the upper gears) under full throttle using the accesport as a boost guage. It ...

Stage 2 Boost using Accesport as Boost Guage

I am usually getting 15.3psi (in the upper gears) under full throttle using the accesport as a boost guage. It will sometimes hit 15.6-15.7psi, but not often. I have turned the wastegate a 1/2 turn and it helped, but is it normal for the vaccum pressure to decrease? Before the 1/2 turn at idle the wastgate pressure on the accesport guage was 10psi, now it is 8psi. What is everyones stage 2 boost using the accesport as a boost gauge? Does it make sense to give the wastegate one more turn?

I have tried resetting the ecu and I am running the newest stage 2 map. Mods: helix downpipe, gutted uppipe, spt catback, samco I/C hoses.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Try using the HWG duty cylce map instead of the standard map. I wouldn't mess with the wastegate acuator arm anymore. If you try the latest HWG map and you're still not reaching target boost, give Cobb a call. Make sure you use the base map and not just the realtime.

BTW, if you look at the map notes here:
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/access...2093%20oct.txt

the target boost pressure is 15.8psi +/- 0.5 psi. You're within the range now. If you still want to go higher, try using the HWG map like I said, but watch for boost spike and creep.

Is it bad to adjust the wastegate acuator? After I adjusted it boost comes much easier (before I had to put the put the throttle down 75% to get the same amount of boost that I now get with 50%).

Also should I put the wastegate back to stock and try the HWG map? I only adjusted the wastegate by 180 degrees which is a half a turn.
    Last edited by Need BB; 05-01-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Need BB
    Is it bad to adjust the wastegate acuator? After I adjusted it boost comes much easier (before I had to put the put the throttle down 75% to get the same amount of boost that I now get with 50%).

Also should I put the wastegate back to stock and try the HWG map? I only adjusted the wastegate by 180 degrees which is a half a turn.
    If it was my car, I'd put the actuator arm back to where it was and try the HWG map. It's not bad to adjust it, just as long as you don't over-do it. Adjusting the arm + the HWG map would yield higher boost, but you might see some boost spike and/or creep. You really don't want to see anything over 16psi on the stock turbo, with Cobb stage 2.

BTW, which dp are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by SubyPsycho

BTW, which dp are you using?
    Nevermind. I just read the original post. Duh!

No problem with adjusting the wastage arm if your not spiking...I'm running with it 2 turns shorter! and it's perfect boost come faster and I'm hitting 15.8psi in the upper gears as well and my vacuum is also running a little bit lower than before...

PS: The wastegate mod was actually suggested to me by Trey at COBB because I was running low boost (14.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Need BB

strange. I flashed stg 2 last week and hit target boost first time out. no problems. accessports generally don't like it when you mess with the boost control. I never had to touch mine. Dyno had me at just under 215 WHP, which is exactly what it should be.

what you're getting WAS "normal" to begin with. You're well within 15.7 +/- .5 you also have to take into account your altitude, air temp, etc. I wouldn't mess with it.

First ProTuner just got up and running so I'd maybe wait until they're in your area and go for a custom tune.

shortening the WG arm makes it open less, so it makes sense that you're getting boost faster, problem is, the WG keeps you from getting TOO much boost and spiking your EGT's. Too much boost in the lower gears = high egt = roasted #3 cyl.
    Last edited by blarg; 05-13-2005 at 08:21 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

bah...mine seems to run good...I hit about 12 or 13psi in first ad 13-14 in second.....on hit over 15 in 4th and it's not spiking...I have the waastegate arm plus I'm using the HWG map...but the map did not give me anymore boost it just feels like it's kicking in quicker....

Altho I had to do this because I was running low boost stock...and low boost at stage 1....so it was clear that it was something physical....

Quote Originally Posted by WRexxer
    bah...mine seems to run good...I hit about 12 or 13psi in first ad 13-14 in second.....on hit over 15 in 4th and it's not spiking...I have the waastegate arm plus I'm using the HWG map...but the map did not give me anymore boost it just feels like it's kicking in quicker....

Altho I had to do this because I was running low boost stock...and low boost at stage 1....so it was clear that it was something physical....

how do those AP #'s compare to stock Boost levels per gear ????

Right now using my EBC im getting about the same boost levels as you with the AP...
    2003 ASPEN WHITE WRX
    ------------------------
    Stage 2 !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxhunter
    how do those AP #'s compare to stock Boost levels per gear ????

Right now using my EBC im getting about the same boost levels as you with the AP...
    its higher with AP. not sure what it is when you get a VF34...but i think you get up to 2 PSI over stock. yes, you can get more, but you shouldn't
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Wrinklechops
    I'm not sure how much more "back from the dead" I could bring this, and I'm sorry I just have to ask...

I've been having this same low boost issue (only Stage 1 Cobb map) and my peak boost won't even break 13. I thought it was 13.5 STOCK! I don't know what the problem is. Cobb suggested to me that I test for leaks and then run their HWG map. I just get a little cautious when I see the "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" warnings on the HWG maps though.

Cobb also said if you're using the stock turbo you shouldn't have to adjust wastegate stuff, but I guess that's my question: which is a better method to try first, or is a combination of the two the best? And to those of you who have used HWG maps, any problems? Why does Cobb give those warnings?