Well, Just when I Think tings can't get any worse!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Well, Just when I Think tings can't get any worse!!! within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I ALMOST HIT A DEER!!!!!! Most would say almost is good but in this sitaution it was bad. Because I ...

Well, Just when I Think things can't get any worse!!!

I ALMOST HIT A DEER!!!!!! Most would say almost is good but in this sitaution it was bad. Because I was doing about 45-50 mph on a two lane back road without shoulders. A deer ran out from the left side of the road, swerved and hit the brakes. While swerving, the passenger side tires went into the grass. Another car was coming down the road coming the other way, so that narrowed this tiny a$$ road even more for me. The rear of the car was sliding out right as I held this massive drift until I hit the brake again to try to slow down some more. The entire car launched around in a 180 and slid into a small ditch but not before bouncing the driveside front wheel and fender off of a tree. Damage at first did not appear too extensive; smashed quarter panel, ding in the hood, scraped up bumper and wheel. But upon further investigation I found that the driveside front wheel was bent in making the front wheels look like this with the steering wheel straight l l I wish I would have mangled that furry bastard now!!!! Worst part was the other car seen the whole thing but never stopped!

The subframe is a little bent and I guess you would call it the steering control arm is mangled, which would mean my ALK is probably beat also. I haven't got under there too good yet (I've been doing everything in my power not to go on a deer killing spree or to drink myself into a coma) but thats the what I've seen so far. I just can't believe how much damage happened from such a little impact. I mean I couldn't have been doing more the 15-20 mph at the point of impact! I've seen people hit curbs going fast and get less damage!!

Is this gonna be an expensive fix? Will my car ever be the same again? I'll post pictures when I go to see it again, she's locked up tight in my friends garage until she goes to the shop. Now I'm praying my insurance company doesn't drop me since I had the drunk b!tch incident 6 months ago!! I'm beginning to think I'm damned or God hates me
    Last edited by 04silver bullet; 09-07-2004 at 06:52 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

God doesn't hate you, he just doesn't have time for you. J/K A head on dear impact would have been worse. Maybe even life threatening. Good luck fixing her, now you have to buy more mods to feel better.
    Used to have stg4 wrx. stuck w/ stg0 srt4
    L.I.S.C #6

damm jay that sucks!!! This is why i am a hunter....lol

I have hit 3 deer in various cars, and totaled 1 car in a similiar manner that you experienced. I was going 20 mph faster on similar road and next thing we knew, we were upside down.
    Take some of the extra $ from insurance company, and put it towards a bigger turbo. You'll forget all about the incident. Well, close to " ALL". Starting to get alittle cool at night. I see deer all over those roads I take home @ night. I don't worry about the Mazda, though. For you, I spill alittle beer on the ground.

Late
    still stock

Originally posted by I Rock A Rex
    damm jay that sucks!!! This is why i am a hunter....lol
    Yeah, I'm an avid hunter and this has just made my urge for killing stronger. I would have killed that furry bastard with my bare hands if I could have caught it!!

Mods, I don't know how you drive them roads everyday! With those odds and my luck, I wouldn't make it a week. I think the damage may be a little less then I building it up to be but I won't know until it is in the shop. Don't get me wrong, it's bad for the minor impact there was but I think she'll survive. However, I think I may fall victim to the same situation you were in with your Rex and insurance. Hell, that's is they keep me. I actually think they are planning on taking me out State Farm Hitman!! As for the bigger turbo, we'll see what happens with the car in the long run but that is a damn good way to forget this all happened. I'll post pics in a day or so, I'm going to see her tonight. I'll update.

Well, I got a good look at her last night with a clear and stable frame of mind and things aren't nearly as bad as I thought they were. It doesn't look like any of the suspension/frame/unibody components are bent or damaged, just the steering control arm is tweaked. The subframe is intact and straight as an arrow from what I can tell. The strut tower has no stress marks around the nuts on the top and the control arm only appeared bent because the car was jacked up D'oh Everything was on angled so stuff looked bent. All I have to say for myself is that I was in shock so I freaked if it looked even the littlest bit wrong.

I took a bunch of pictures, I'll post them tonight. The hood is just a kick in the nuts though. I still can't believe that .

Well, here are the pics. Like I said, the damage wasn't as extensive as I had thought, which is a good thing. This first one is just of the body damage. Note the way the wheel is turned in. The steering wheel is straight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00654.jpg  

Now here is pics of the undamaged passenger side wheel with the steering wheel position unchanged Ouch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00661.jpg  

Another angle of the driverside wheel angle. This is because the steering control arm is bent bad. The wheel was turned when it bounced off the tree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00689.jpg  

passenger side again at this angle for comparison
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00690.jpg  

Shot of the bumper. Other than the STI splitter being damaged, the bumper just has a few deep scratches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00659.jpg  

Another look at the fender God This KILLS MEE!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00660.jpg  

First pic with the wheel off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00672.jpg  

Picture of the bent steering control arm (I still don't even know if that is it's official name but it sounds good). Notice it just above the sway bar, it's supposed to be straight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00665.jpg  

closer shot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00671.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast