Owning a WRX in New York_ Please advise - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Owning a WRX in New York_ Please advise within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I'm at the Borough Hall stop on the 4/5, or the Bergen Street stop on the F. Red Hook is ...

I'm at the Borough Hall stop on the 4/5, or the Bergen Street stop on the F. Red Hook is up and coming with lots of friendly people. Williamsburg is ghetto. I got jumped by ten guys in Williamsburg, because one of them didn't like that I stood up for my friends when he was talking sh*t. I recommend Cobble Hill, near Smith and Court streets, over anything.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds good...thanks bud.
    These are the kind of tips I need.

Well I can tell you that if you do park in Manhattan it's difficult to do the simple things. I can let you in on some of the laws you've mentioned.

As far as emmissions, they are the same smog checks as Kali. Is this move permanent? If not, don't change your reg, and keep up what you are doing. That way they don't inspect your car every year through NYS DMV. In the 5 Boroughs and the lower NY counties, they do smog checks with dyno. Outside this area, they don't. Thus, eliminating Cats will be an issue.

Moving on...

Did you know that it is technically illegal to do any repair or maintenance work on your car at the road/curbside in NYC? Well, the law isn't there to make your life difficult, but to clamp down on folks who illegially strip cars (saying they are fixing it) at the roadside. Also combats repair shops who spill out of their garages and into the streets (sometimes taking over entire blocks) messing up traffic flow and leaving the waste out at the curb. Suffice to day, you get some over zealous ticket writers out there who will not use their better judgement.

Just about any parking violation ticket issued below 96th. Street is $105, base charge.

Most folks who have a car in NYC just use it to get away on the weekends. Many other folks just rent a car for the weekend and forgo the aggro.

That 11th Ave. outdoor field lot is in the 50's and charged $158.00/month back in early 2003. I don't think their rates have gone up much.

Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, some of Prospect Park anr all good spots, although Prospect Park is a bit further out.

I know it's blasphemous to say as a loyal NY'er, but I hear good things about Hoboken, NJ...especially if you are 20-30's, single, and looking for a better deal. It's just on the opposite shore of the Hudson River, has better views then we get here in NY, and has PATH subway train and Ferry options.

Me, I just moved from the Upper West Side to buy a house. I miss the City, but after living there for 12 years, I could stand to just work there.

Did I miss something?

-B4.
    Last edited by B4gery; 07-16-2004 at 09:32 PM.

hoboken sucks the big big one if you have a car , very limited parking.by a couple of weeks of parking if thay dont steal your wrx first you wont even have bumpers left from other cars parking on your bumpers because of lack of parking . n.j. has the highest hits of wrx's in the whole east cost . dont say i didn't warn you.

Hmmmm. I guess vishnu stage 1 should wait. I have had a buddy pass here in Kali with it, but I do not know how aggressive they are in NY, although it sounds fairly aggressive.
    I am not single ( may be after the move, but I will deal with that later) and am scared now of the hoboken information. Will most likely stay away from that. I will definalty check out some of the other Brookly sites, but will try and get myself into the city.
    It sounds like a bummer, but sounds like I cannot do any work on it myself, unless I can hang out with some of you where you can?
    I may get some help with parking in the city, this will help alot it sounds like...

I know it is stupid to bring it with me...I should use the money else where...But man I love that car...

I really appreciate all of your folks suggestions, and am still confused as to what I am gonna do.

Thanks again fellas...

Christopher

ok if you want to live in brooklyn the best place to live in my opinion is bensonhurst great great area i use to live there, rents is very fair.parking sucks but its mostly private homes around ,and owners are always looking to rent there garages. I was paying $120 a month . subway trains are right there , easy trip to the city . lots of eatery's, good clubs ,and if you were single lots of women . remember one thing parking sucks all over n.y.c good luck make sure when you get to ny you take your car strait to azp for a good good security upgrade. trust me that rex is not safe on the streets at all if you do nothing about the security of the car. i wont get into the type of security upgrade thay do because the thiefs read the threads for information.

Bensonhurst makes no sense for any non-New Yorker that is moving here. It's quite far from Manhattan, and almost everyone who lives there has also grown up there. Hence, outsiders are not exactly welcome. There's a lot more that I could say about the place, but I don't want to do to much to deter you from checking out a place that someone else has recommended.

Regarding the whole inspection thing, c'mon, this is New York. A certain person that shall remain unnamed, but I am what you would say "more than close to", just purchased a passing inspection for $150 flat. The money was paid, and the sticker was received a week later. Cats, or lackthereof, don't have to be a concern here.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

I would prefer being closer to the city, and or in the city, then not. I know the closer I get to the city the less space I get and the higher my rent. I have been looking around Brooklyn; dumbo, brooklyn heights, coble hill, and Willamsburg. I am a little nervous about the willamsburg comments earlier however. I have also been directed towards the upper westside; sutton, down into hells kitchen, chelsea.

Man, I have to tell you all I am confused. I am not sure it is a smart choice to bring my car, but I love it. And I bet that it is great to get out of the city when ever you want. Not to mention I have a built in group here that I could join on event days and fix it days.

I was all ready to put the hold on a used but well taken care of vishnu turbo back because of the east coast inspections, however Matt seems to know a guy, who knows a guy, who is related to somebody, who says it may only be a matter of a little green pursuasion. Thanks Matt, not only do I have to make the bring the car to New York decsion...the TB is back on the table!

What is the AZP? Just an alarm, or a whole security thing? Is the a large problem of WRX theft on the east coast? I do not live in the greatest part of Los Angles, but I don't really worry about theft of my car at all. I do not leave anything in it, if you do they bust the window and take the goods, but if nothing is in it...the bad guys are not interested. And I left the stock system in it as well, I'd rather hear that vishnu turbo back!

thanks everyone.

well good luck finding the apt's in the areas you listed cause all those areas are very very pricey. http://azpinstalls.com/ link for your alarm system info. people can say what thay want about bensonhurst . I still say its a great area .

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    Williamsburg is ghetto. I got jumped by ten guys in Williamsburg, because one of them didn't like that I stood up for my friends when he was talking sh*t.
    and how many moons ago was that?... 10 20 years ago?

-Dave
    '03 WRX Wagon
    '99 Outback Sport
    '96 Impreza "Franken" L <- CoDriver
    http://TeamIAC.com
    http://race-sport.net
    http://racingbrake.com

Originally posted by Balthus
    I am a little nervous about the willamsburg comments earlier however.
    It's no where close to what Bask Oner described.
    I believe your friends you've spoke of are residing in the Northside Williamsburg section, which is where I'd been the last 20+ years... a ghetto it USED to be.

-Dave
    '03 WRX Wagon
    '99 Outback Sport

Originally posted by hypov
    and how many moons ago was that?... 10 20 years ago?

-Dave
    It was about 2 years ago, and the area hasn't changed.

Bensonhurst has it's benefits, but it really isn't the way to experience 'the city'.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

I do want to experience the city, so maybe something like bensonhurst isn't the answer, however I will definalty check it out.
    I will have my girl friend with me as well, I guess I will have to let her drive my car

I hope to hang with some of you at a meet...Even if in the end I do not bring my car, I will take the bus to the meet.

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    It was about 2 years ago, and the area hasn't changed.

Bensonhurst has it's benefits, but it really isn't the way to experience 'the city'.
    Hmmm... sure has changed tremendously for the better through my eyes.
    Boarded up storefronts and abundant houses , not to mention blood splatted sidewalks, were plenty when I first moved into the nabe 20+ years ago, and if you had bought a house or two here then you would be a millionaire today
    Up to ~10 years ago, the area has revitalised and has improved 10 fold. You should pay the area around Northside section a visit, for dinner maybe.

-Dave
    '03 WRX Wagon
    '99 Outback Sport

I shall. Actually, one of my boys lives on Berry and N. 9th and I pay him a visit every once in a while. For the time being though, I'm quite content with exploring my new found paradise near the Heights.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.