FEDERAL window tint law???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on FEDERAL window tint law??? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Ok, so I got my first EVER speeding ticket today in the 7 years that I have been driving. They ...

FEDERAL window tint law???

Ok, so I got my first EVER speeding ticket today in the 7 years that I have been driving. They said I was going 44 in a 25, reduced it to 30 in a 25 no points..fine.. Then the guy asks me to roll my window up a little and walks to his car and gets a little light meter device. The meter shows my drivers side window is at 22% tint. He tells me that it is a FEDERAL law that front/side windows can not be tinted more that 75%. So he issued me a fix-it warning along with my speeding ticket. Has anyone ever heard of this? I had no idea there was a federal law for window tint %. Does anyone know where I can find what the actual window tint laws are in PA? When I got my tint done, the shop told me I was 100% legal. I am really pissed that window tinting laws are so vague and it seems like every cop and tint shop has a different idea of what it legal and what isnt. And this is definitely the first I have ever heard of a nation wide federal law about tint. I thought places like florida could have any tint they want.

Almost 3 years ago I got 5% (limo tint) in the rear passenger and rear window and what I thought was 35% on the driver and passenger windows. Keep in mind I am in Pennsylvania.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Look in the exterior section.... Eh... Heres the link. Its a sticky thread.

Window Tint Laws (please add to this)

Heres the good link in there.

Window Tint Laws (please add to this)

Basic answer is NO, there is not any federal law regarding window tinting. What state did this happen in anyway? I would take this one to court probably...

There is no such thing as federal law tint regulations. And when the cop told you to put your windows up, you should have told him "No." You don't have to incriminate yourself like that.
    2006 WRX TR

Banned
    The law in the PA books simply states that the officer must be able to see inside you car through the tint. Tint can only be black.

There is no federal law on tint.

PA tint laws

some more interesting reading

yeah, window tint laws are goverened by the state not federal.
    2006 OBP WRX

HAWK-EYE Alliance#072

Registered User cstruzyna 2.5rs's Avatar
    As far a Washington goes, you can have as low as 35% and be ok. Below that is "illegal".

Java Black 05 2.5rs "Sport Wagon"

I realize this is a really old post but I thought I would add my .02 cents. As a cop I agree they can be vague and poorly written and most cops don't understand tint laws like they should. I stop tint guys that install it and write them and they contest and always lose cause they are basing their knowledge off unofficial websites.

To answer Ur question, there are some regulation exemptions but no actual fed law. Read the law state by state at mitchie.com to find out what PA law is.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacticalterry View Post
    I realize this is a really old post but I thought I would add my .02 cents. As a cop I agree they can be vague and poorly written and most cops don't understand tint laws like they should. I stop tint guys that install it and write them and they contest and always lose cause they are basing their knowledge off unofficial websites.

To answer Ur question, there are some regulation exemptions but no actual fed law. Read the law state by state at mitchie.com to find out what PA law is.
    That site only lists 8 states and 2 territories... And PA isn't even one of them. wtf?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Read the law state by state at mitchie.com to find out what PA law is.
    that site is an Art Gallery specializing in African and African American art.

Ok thts crazy it used to have more states on it.

Try this Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General - Protecting Pennsylvanians and search tint. The only fed EEG I can find states manufacturers can't make winshield and front two sides darker than %70 but state can allow for additional tint to be applied.

What's crazy is PA appears to have said ok well that's good enough for us. Unless I'm reading it wrong...... What a crock

Oh and it was (Michie.com) FUautocorrect lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok thts crazy it used to have more states on it.

Try this Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General - Protecting Pennsylvanians and search tint. The only fed EEG I can find states manufacturers can't make winshield and front two sides darker than %70 but state can allow for additional tint to be applied.

What's crazy is PA appears to have said ok well that's good enough for us. Unless I'm reading it wrong...... What a crock

Oh and it was (Michie.com) FUautocorrect lol
    Lol autocorrect on my iPad messes me up all the time.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

To further expand on an earlier point, there are NO federal traffic laws. There are only guidelines. The feds can penalize states that don't follow their guidelines, such as when the first states went to 65 and the federal guideline for interstates was 55. Those states lost federal funding until the guidelines was changed.

One guideline that is followed pretty much without exception is the MUTCD.

If you've never heard of this before, there are some really interesting signs in there none of us have ever seen. Link to signs page.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

make sure you dont peel anything but the front sides off.

everything else is legal, you can spray paint your back windows if you wanted to

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.