so i got pulled over last night

This is a discussion on so i got pulled over last night within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I got pulled over by a ny state trooper because of exhaust and tint and I was just wondering what ...

so i got pulled over last night

I got pulled over by a ny state trooper because of exhaust and tint and I was just wondering what the legal decibal limit was and what a borla catback puts out as well as what the legal limit is for the tint on the windows... thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

NY's tint laws, from what i remember, are simple. nothing on the front windows unless it's factory. i'm not sure what they claim for the backs, but i'm sure it's not too far from that.
    as for the exhaust, anything that isn't specified as DOT-legal (usually meaning ANY aftermarket, non-OEM types) is illegal. it might not even be a decibel issue so much as a EPA/DMV mandate.
    another issue to look into is primary vs. secondary offense. some states don't list tinting or aftermarket equipment as primary offenses, which means they can't pull you over for just those. now if they ticketed you secondarily to something tha they really DID get you for, that's different. i.e. in DE they can't get me for windows alone, but if they get me for speeding they can tack on the windows if they wish.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

I thought he was pulling me over for speeding cause i was going about 5 -10 over in the mall but he said he pulled me over for loud exhaust and then he said tinted windows.

They should be fix-it tickets. Just put a stock exaust back on for a bit and scrape the windows. It sucks, but it is better than a fine.

or just pay the ticket, and screw it.

In the world full of prick cops with nothin better to do....
    You gotta be on your toes... mention that harley davidsons' dont even have mufflers but they never get pulled over. State that you have all three catalytic converters, and a fully functional muffling system.
    Also get a optometrist's note for the tint, saying you get headaches in sunny weather.

This will keep most cops from writing you a ticket, but youll definetly get the moving violation... which id rather not have...
    Last edited by MidnightFLAT4; 03-01-2004 at 04:30 PM.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

I told the cop that i was from nj and that it is legal over here and there were some discrepancies in the percentage of tint in ny. I never got a ticket cause we handed him a pba card after he kept questioning the auxiliary police badge because they never heard of that nor class II specials. I was just wondering what the exhaust decibal limit is in ny but that is a great suggestion to bring up to the cops. Never thought of it that way before...

thanks.

lol

Last week driving up 252 (heading to King of prussia) i got pulled over for a TINT check as he called it. The think was it was mardi Gras. Just a reason to check to see if people are drinking or not. I dont have dark tint but the laws are different from sedans and from SUV. a sedan is not aloud to have tint on any window then the back window. But its a chance you take when you dont want to sun to come in. Ive had tint on all of my cars, and gotten pulled over on all of them. The cop will also change the rules to his speculazation just to see if you know the rules. I had a cop make me scrape alteast some of the windows on SITE.