NJ cell phone ban
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on NJ cell phone ban within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; McGreevy signed the bill. NJ joins NY with the driving with cell phone ban....

tan

NJ cell phone ban

McGreevy signed the bill.

NJ joins NY with the driving with cell phone ban.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yep, starting July 1 you better hide your phone when the fuzz goes by.

However I heard that you can't get pulled over for the phone, but they can ticket you for the phone if you get nabbed for something else.

tan
    Probably a good alternative for a speed ticket, if the cop is in a good mood

The sooner the better this goes nationwide. People talking on the phone are the most inattentive drivers. I hate them!!
    Make the fine huge for this.
    that SUV that wanders over the lane markings will be someone on the phone a lot of the time.

Australia banned cell phones 3 years ago - it is great.

The fine is $250, not nearly enough, IMHO.

Thats fine and dandy. It is sad that we need laws for common sense. Here are a few more:
    1 Do not read newspaper while driving
    2 Do not put on make up while driving
    3 Do not eat soup or anything else while driving

Thats just the first few that poped up in my head.
    See ya on the Parkway
    MODS

Originally posted by Shiju
    Thats fine and dandy. It is sad that we need laws for common sense. Here are a few more:
    1 Do not read newspaper while driving
    2 Do not put on make up while driving
    3 Do not eat soup or anything else while driving

Thats just the first few that poped up in my head.
    agreed
    IMHO a vanity mirror has no place on the drivers side of the vehicle.

My parents are in way North Jersey (River Edge) and there are a few towns in the area, including River Edge where it has been illegal for months to drive on the phone.

Now they have to bring this to Mass.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Originally posted by aussieinstlouis
    agreed
    IMHO a vanity mirror has no place on the drivers side of the vehicle.
    ...who needs one? Most of the time they're using the rear view mirror anyway.
    Chris
    1999 Impreza RS - 12.096 @ 114.63
    2002 WRX - 12.602 @ 111.08
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 11 second scrap pile - SOLD

Originally posted by aussieinstlouis
    a vanity mirror has no place on the drivers side of the vehicle.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I just hope like hell it is enforced!!!!

Cell phone talkin' SUV drivin' people make my blood boil!!!!

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

My wife was rear ended while waiting to take a left turn to see her dad in the hospital, It crumpled the back of her Taurus SHO but no injuries. The girl that hit her cut someone else off a block earlier and the witness saw the girl on a cel phone. she stopped and stayed to tell the cops what she saw, and the cel phone was found on the floor of the car, after going through the phone they verified the girl was on the phone and ticketed her for reckless driving which is a 5 point ticket in NJ.... I dont even like to use one while driving cause I do stupid S**T when using it.
    Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

Thumbs down BS Law

This law is bull*h!t!! Why? Well, for one, if you are looking away from the road to dial, it is perfectly legal! Not good. It doesn't ticket you if you are using a handsfree set. It has already been proven in numerous studies that holding a phone to your head and talking on it, is the same as using a handsfree kit. The distraction is the conversation itself, not the phone to your head. I am curious as to the legality of using a Nextel's direct connect feature. "Officer, I wasn't on the phone, I was using the two-way feature. It is the same as using a CB." It WON'T reduce the number of accidents, and even studies in New York have concluded that after a couple years with their law in place. There should be an all-inclusive "distracted driving law." If you are caught applying makeup, reading a newspaper/magazine/book/map, talking on a cell phone (with and without a handsfree device), placing a CD into the stereo, fiddling with your GPS system, paying attention to the burger in your mouth, turning around to admonish your kid, and anything else that may be distracting. Another reason this law doesn't go far enough. It is a secondary offense. Meaning, a cop can only pull you over for it if you are caught committing another infraction like speeding or running a red light, or any other arbitrary thing they can make up. So, this bill is ca-ca from my point of view. And yes, I was hit in the rear of my old '88 RX-7 a couple years ago by a dimwit on her handsfree cell phone! New Jersey, if you are going to enact a law like this, make it have shark's teeth, not baby's teeth. To me, it seems like another attempt to bring in more revenue into the state, while making it look like a good law to everyone in the state. The wool is covering everyone's eyes in Jersey this winter.
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

AND the law requires you to be pulled over for another violation before they can ticket you for the cell phone use at $250 a pop. Look for the cops to be pulling you over for some dumb reason so they can fine you for cell phone use, as you said photog72,, its all about the money.
    Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

bah. you're all old ladies. i drive with my phone 95% of the time i'm in the car. should it be used against me if i'm in an accident? sure! but should i be fined for it if i did nothing wrong?

no way.

dR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast