PA State Emissions and the WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on PA State Emissions and the WRX within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I have somes questions about PA-specific emissions testing... and I haven't seen any other threads in this section on PA ...

gfx

PA State Emissions and the WRX

I have somes questions about PA-specific emissions testing... and I haven't seen any other threads in this section on PA emissions so maybe some others can get some benefit from this too.

I've heard that basically any car will pass the sniffer test, so would going TOTALLY cat-less on the WRX still pass emissions in PA? Can someone running cat-less or at least 1 or 2 cats-free on their car comment on this?

I was thinking about an autospeed up-pipe and turboxs super-huge DP w/ cat-connector, and trying to give it a shot passing emissions.

Any comments?
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gfxwrx

My car shots taken with my Canon 300D dSLR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cars in Pa. need to pass a "visual" test. The inspection mechanic must see the cat(s) are still in place. But if you have a friend in the inspection business you can always get around this .
    '04 STi
    '70 Buick GSX
    '87 Buick GN

tan
    PlatinumWRX aka a while back posted his emissions results with one cat (uppipe and downpipe cat removed).

Also, since since things changed a bit...if you have a check engine light, you will fail automatically.

My inspection guy likes my car, so i do OK. But he told me would have passed catless.

Now all you need to pass is an OBDII scanner, or at least thats what he indirectly told me.
    I created my avatar.

I passed with a catless uppipe and 3" APS turbo back with 1 high flow cat. I live in Chester County but had it inspected in DE County. It passed the visual and two speed idle test. But she was good and hot before testing.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

craig - where'd you go? I don't think i'll be taking it to the dealer this year (they gave me free emissions) b/c of the fresh JDM STi UP and ScoobySport DP. I do have provisions to take out/leave in my 3rd cat...but I'll need a place that won't check tooo thoroughly.

JD - how are the new brakes holding up????

thnx,
    wYlie
    Last edited by Roamin'Coyote; 01-17-2004 at 09:52 AM.

Originally posted by Roamin'Coyote
    craig - where'd you go?
    The place is pretty generically named 'West Chester Tire', or somthing to that effect. Its the tire place right up the street (towards town) from the WestTown Automall. Going towards town from the automall its on the left just before a traffic light.
    I created my avatar.

I found out that in my area there is a visual test. Do you think I'm going to get away with my catless up-pipe?
    ^..^

Beware of people who dislike cats. -Irish Proverb

most ppl don't know that cat is up there....I guess if you don't take it to a suby dealer for inspection. What about the 2nd and 3rd, still there?

Or you coulda been sneaky like me...JDM STi catless uppipe - it's got all the heat shields on it and even says subaru...lol.

-wYlie

I know exactly which shop you are talking about. I think i took a car there a while back for an inspection or something. Anyway, I know where ill be taking my car for inspection now. You said that he woulda passed you catless? Not that its hard to put the third cat back in, its teh principle.

If you have the cat in the downpipe and the third cat still in there, unless you take it to the dealer, I dont see how they could possibly know there is a cat in the up pipe, let alone fail you for not having it. I have heard of plenty of people passing with just a high flow third cat

I do still have the 2nd and 3rd. I won't be going to the dealer for this inspection - hopefully there won't be a problem.

I started searching for an up-pipe with Cat just in case. All I've found is this:

http://www.airbornemotorsports.com/s...st.htm#Uppipes

I don't know if it is worth it or not...
    ^..^

Beware of people who dislike cats. -Irish Proverb

leave it catless. you'll be fine.

Thumbs up

I love having Florida plates - no inspections at all!
    "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden." - Ron Reagan Jr.

I live in Chester County and passed with 1 CAT also. Looking at the printout with the readings there is A LOT of room left. So it probably would still pass catless as far as the sniffer goes. But the visual would catch that. Guess the WRX is a pretty clean car What they don't know won't hurt em

Originally posted by Roamin'Coyote
    JD - how are the new brakes holding up????

thnx,
    wYlie
    Great!

And just in time for new snow, I took off my Blizzaks and replaced the S-03's with Michelin PS2's. I'll bet they're lighter. They're supposed to offer better performance. And they're much quieter on the highway. I like my new summer tires a lot.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.