Passing New York State Visual Inspection
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Passing New York State Visual Inspection within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I am planning on getting up and down pipes with high flow cats for my WRX. My question is if ...

Passing New York State Visual Inspection

I am planning on getting up and down pipes with high flow cats for my WRX. My question is if any of you guys living in New York State have these parts and pass visual inspection with ease. Your response is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a downpipe and high flow cat....I dont know what a "visual inspection" is, though.

Details?
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Well the beauty of all that god forsaken piping that wraps all over our engine bays is with those heat sheilds on you really don't know what you are looking at or seeing. I would think unless they know what to look for on a wrx they will not see a aftermarket dp. Just figure a way to use the heat sheilds.

I dont know what a "visual inspection" is, though.
    In New York State they check take a look at your car to see if you have cats. Since the WRX has 3 would inspectors know to look for all three? or would they see one and be happy because they don't know that there's supposed to be more?

I passed New York inspection with only an up-pipe cat, and no marker lights.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

By the way, what is my second year inspection going to be like? I know that they test emissions at that point, but how? The inspection place that I went to had a two wheel dyno lookin' thing, but that wouldn't do much for me.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

By the way, what is my second year inspection going to be like? I know that they test emissions at that point, but how?

Well first off New York City and Upstate New York inspections are different. I believe that in most counties of Upstate NY one only gets a visual inspection to see if he has the correct emissions equipment. In New York City, Westchester, and Long Island, I think they inspect what is actually coming out of the tail pipes with some sort of carbon detectors and the such.

Getting back to my original question, would inspectors think my high flow cats were the original? Because it is against federal law to replace a cat unless your car has 50,000 mi or something is wrong with it.

Originally posted by j-man
    Getting back to my original question, would inspectors think my high flow cats were the original?
    It's pretty obvious that it really depends on the experience, intelligence, perceptiveness, tolerance, and straight up kindness of the particular inspector.

I would bet money that they'd have no idea, and if they did, they'd let you get away with a high-flow cat (at least it's a cat).
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.