Mid-Atlantic Evolution VIII Discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mid-Atlantic Evolution VIII Discussion within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I took a trip over to Koeppel Mitsubishi in Queens today, and had the fortune of seeing a few Evo ...

Mid-Atlantic Evolution VIII Discussion

I took a trip over to Koeppel Mitsubishi in Queens today, and had the fortune of seeing a few Evo VIII's. Here are my observations and thoughts, but note that they wouldn't give me a test drive without a deposit...

1. They were not marked up even one penny above MSRP. A blue one with every option, including sunroof, was 30k.

2. The body looks amazing in person, especially when compared to a Lancer or Lancer OZ Racing edition. The fender flares are sharp, and the carbon fiber spoiler looks great too.

3. The dealers pitch the intercooler sprayer as the next big thing, especially since it's automatic or manual. Big deal! This guy didn't even know how to adjust the differential, even though he thought it was adjustable.

4. The HIDs are fly as hell.

5. The Momo wheel is significantly smaller that a WRX one, and rubberized instead of leather. The feel of it is incredible.

6. The tach is in the middle, like the STI.

7. The Recaro seats blow. They don't have side impact airbags. The shoulder bolsters are annoying. There is barely any hip support.

8. The tires are 235 all around, but are not Z rated, and have no rubber rim to protect the wheels. Surely better than the WRX Potenzas though.

9. The Brembo brakes are

10. The body is most likely stiffer because of the included strut tower brace.

That's all! It's an impressive machine, but nothing more than a modified WRX with sharper body lines. It won't hold a candle to the WRX STI.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What I heard

My brother in law works at Jiffy Lube. He recommended that I do not buy a Mitsubishi Lancer because they leak oil everywhere with only a few thousand miles on them. Told me he has seen a couple come in leaking from the oil pan and valve cover on there first oil change, with only 5k. This is the Lancer without the EVO, but they are basically the same motor I would assume.
    A friend of mine works at Carmax where they are a Mitsubishi dealer. He told me that Mitsubishi in general has screwed so many people on warrantee work that he would not recommend buying a Mitsubishi. He is a mechanic there and for many years. I asked him because I wanted to know if he would get a kickback when I told them he referred me. Carmax had one on there lot for $29,950 with a sunroof. Gone now!
    Last edited by Faster_WRX; 04-05-2003 at 01:13 AM.

Screw it

Screw what others are telling me. I was at Capital Raceway tonight and a totally stock EVO 8 was there with 2,000 miles on it. He ran 13.3 1/4 every time. Best I ran on my WRX with stage 2 Turbo XS was 13.6 and tonight I couldn't do better then 14.2 because my clutch was slipping so bad.

Re: What I heard

Originally posted by Faster_WRX
    My brother in law works at Jiffy Lube. He recommended that I do not buy a Mitsubishi Lancer because they leak oil everywhere with only a few thousand miles on them. Told me he has seen a couple come in leaking from the oil pan and valve cover on there first oil change, with only 5k. This is the Lancer without the EVO, but they are basically the same motor I would assume.
    A friend of mine works at Carmax where they are a Mitsubishi dealer. He told me that Mitsubishi in general has screwed so many people on warrantee work that he would not recommend buying a Mitsubishi. He is a mechanic there and for many years. I asked him because I wanted to know if he would get a kickback when I told them he referred me. Carmax had one on there lot for $29,950 with a sunroof. Gone now!
    LOL I'm sorry but that whole post is invalid. You think that the regular Lancer is in any close relation to the Evolution 8?? Basically the same motor?? wow...

Do they really share the same motor? I mean, the regular Imprezas have at least a 2.5l. Then again, a regular Lancer doesn't deserve much more than a 2l non-turbo engine.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    Do they really share the same motor? I mean, the regular Imprezas have at least a 2.5l. Then again, a regular Lancer doesn't deserve much more than a 2l non-turbo engine.
    They aren't EVEN CLOSE to the same engine.

-Jim

Re: Re: What I heard

Originally posted by InfamousDX
    LOL I'm sorry but that whole post is invalid. You think that the regular Lancer is in any close relation to the Evolution 8?? Basically the same motor?? wow...
    Yeah its the POS USDM Lancer that has the crappy engine...

The EVO im pretty sure has a 4G63 in there.....
    2003 Subaru WRX- Midnight Black Pearl
    2007 Subaru Legacy Limited- Brilliant Silver Metallic

Yup, the USDM "Lancer" is merely a rebadged/restyled Mirage. The Evolution uses an updated 4G63, and I'm pretty sure it shares nothing with the "OZ Rally Lancer."
    Chris
    1999 Impreza RS - 12.096 @ 114.63
    2002 WRX - 12.602 @ 111.08
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 11 second scrap pile - SOLD

I find it funny when people think they are buying the infamous EVO or buying something close to it, but are getting the piece of junk lancer. OZ Rally, yeah right, it doesn't even have AWD. If you don't have the money for a EVO you are better off buying a 2.5 rs, its probably closer to the EVO then a Lancer is (atleast they both have AWD)

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Hahaha, the regular Lancer is such a piece of sh*t car. They just throw the Lancer name on it so they have some sort of selling point for it.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

I have the unfortunate dilemma of owning a Lancer OZ Rally and wanting a MBP WRX. Let me first say this, my Lancer is most definately NOT what you would call a performance car. It came with a 120 horse/130 lb./ft 4G94 2.0 liter. We all know what a 2.0 liter is capable of, both the WRX and the Evolution run them(EJ20 and 4G63 respectively). This however is NOT a quick car.
    That said, it is a fun little car, and will smoke most Honda B16A cars. It handles fairly well for a front driver(can lift one rear on freeway onramps, or what Jersey people call "jughandles"), will smoke them clean through first, and even chirp 2nd.
    Would I have gotten this car had I known Evo's would run between $32,000 and $42, 000 in South Jersey? NO.
    I would have gone WRX and saved myself the trouble. This car has been hit by a hit-and-run driver and suffered massive hail damage. It's cursed.
    Anyway, point being... Evo's kick ass. WRX's kick ass. My car doesn't kick the ass.
    $.02
    mike
    Last edited by the mike; 04-10-2003 at 03:08 PM.
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

Ive talked about the EVO for YEARS, then they came out w/that stupid lancer (lancer cedia in jpn) and all my stupid tool friends came to me about how i dont know anything and the evolution is a crap car...morons. Im glad to see the almost-real-deal EVO here.

My next wish is that we could go back in time and get R34 GT-Rs.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

0.02 worth

since the US EVO 8 ...is a stripped down evo compared to the one the R.O.W. gets i think they shoulda priced it in the stock rex range....and then brought in the European FQ300 version by Ralliart to go against the STi

as for pricing 30k stripped EVO 8

40k STi (pricing based on dealer markup coz they know its hot ...

buy stock rex spend 5k on the right mods and you can eat both the STi and EVO 8 for "Breakfast"
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I dont think the STi will be 40K. PPL will pay over sticker casue of the 'hotness' but just b/c they are new doesnet make everyone lose their mind and go completly insane, totally ignoring the price. (in most cases) I bet you find it w/minimal mark up after the 1st few weeks. Of couse i could be horribly wrong.

STi's are going for $31k here in Honolulu... $33k out the door (tax, license, tags, etc.) IIRC.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.