I took a trip over to Koeppel Mitsubishi in Queens today, and had the fortune of seeing a few Evo VIII's. Here are my observations and thoughts, but note that they wouldn't give me a test drive without a deposit...
1. They were not marked up even one penny above MSRP. A blue one with every option, including sunroof, was 30k.
2. The body looks amazing in person, especially when compared to a Lancer or Lancer OZ Racing edition. The fender flares are sharp, and the carbon fiber spoiler looks great too.
3. The dealers pitch the intercooler sprayer as the next big thing, especially since it's automatic or manual. Big deal! This guy didn't even know how to adjust the differential, even though he thought it was adjustable.
4. The HIDs are fly as hell.
5. The Momo wheel is significantly smaller that a WRX one, and rubberized instead of leather. The feel of it is incredible.
6. The tach is in the middle, like the STI.
7. The Recaro seats blow. They don't have side impact airbags. The shoulder bolsters are annoying. There is barely any hip support.
8. The tires are 235 all around, but are not Z rated, and have no rubber rim to protect the wheels. Surely better than the WRX Potenzas though.
9. The Brembo brakes are
10. The body is most likely stiffer because of the included strut tower brace.
That's all! It's an impressive machine, but nothing more than a modified WRX with sharper body lines. It won't hold a candle to the WRX STI.