Planning a Route through PA...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Planning a Route through PA... within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hello everyone. I am going to Washington D.C. from Toronto. We are trying to plan a route through PA...the quickest ...

Planning a Route through PA...

Hello everyone.

I am going to Washington D.C. from Toronto. We are trying to plan a route through PA...the quickest route possible.

So I tried Mapquest, and it turns out they have a all Interstate Route, but, alot of it is toll roads (I76) for about 133 miles. That blows. Interstate is nice, with all the Rest Areas and what not, but 133 miles of tolls in PA + 93 miles of tolls in NY is too much $$$.

So I turned on "Avoid tolls" and it said a route which I don't want to take, due to the smaller roads (can't drive as fast). A Friend suggested Highway 15 South, through Williamsport, Harrisburg, etc.

Which route is good?

Thanks in advance.
    -Bruce

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ly_br25 View Post
    Hello everyone.

I am going to Washington D.C. from Toronto. We are trying to plan a route through PA...the quickest route possible.

So I tried Mapquest, and it turns out they have a all Interstate Route, but, alot of it is toll roads (I76) for about 133 miles. That blows. Interstate is nice, with all the Rest Areas and what not, but 133 miles of tolls in PA + 93 miles of tolls in NY is too much $$$.

So I turned on "Avoid tolls" and it said a route which I don't want to take, due to the smaller roads (can't drive as fast). A Friend suggested Highway 15 South, through Williamsport, Harrisburg, etc.

Which route is good?

Thanks in advance.
    15 south may work it can just be real slow sometimes and you get on 11/15 south towards harrisburg its 55 but everyone does like 70.....I drive I drive 40 miles of it twice a week
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

I'm not too familiar with the highways in the center of the state, but I-76 to I-79 is not a bad drive - you'll pass right by me. I just checked the tolls on the PA turnpike website, and I think that leg of 76 is only $8 each way. I'm guessing it will be the fastest/easiest route, but I don't know the alternatives too well.

Hey there...coincidently I just went up to Toronto this past weekend and the roadtrip took me 8 hrs. Total spent in tolls were $1.95 USD.

Any way, I used Route 11/15 (the road is mostly 15). 15-south will take you through Williamsport and into the Harrisburg area, but if you're going to DC...you may not need to drive all the way to Harrisburg and can find another route that will be more direct to Washington DC...

My route was:
    QEW
    I-190
    I-290
    I-90 (to Batavia RT-98)
    SR-63 (to I-390 / Genesee)
    Then US-15 South (and then I pretty much stayed on 15 till I got to where I needed to go)

8 hrs from Toronto to my destination (425 miles or so)
    Maybe there is a better route..but I found my drive scenic (most of it at least)

I Support ClubWRX
    95N to 695 just north of Baltimore
    695 to 83N
    83N to 11N
    11N to 11/15N
    15N to 390N
    390N to 90W
    90W to 407 (Canada hwy if I remember correctly).

Ive done this route a few times. You can get stuck behind slow traffic on 11/15 but it isn't a bad route, and it is by far the straightes shot. Taking I76 seams a bit out of the way to me.

You really can't avoid tolls totally, but you can minimize them.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    95N to 695 just north of Baltimore
    695 to 83N
    83N to 11N
    11N to 11/15N
    15N to 390N
    390N to 90W
    90W to 407 (Canada hwy if I remember correctly).

Ive done this route a few times. You can get stuck behind slow traffic on 11/15 but it isn't a bad route, and it is by far the straightes shot. Taking I76 seams a bit out of the way to me.

You really can't avoid tolls totally, but you can minimize them.
    Thanks for the info. Oddly, I76 + I79 is the quickest way shown on my GPS system, MapQuest, GoogleMaps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Business810 View Post
    I'm not too familiar with the highways in the center of the state, but I-76 to I-79 is not a bad drive - you'll pass right by me. I just checked the tolls on the PA turnpike website, and I think that leg of 76 is only $8 each way. I'm guessing it will be the fastest/easiest route, but I don't know the alternatives too well.
    I would think so too, its straight forward, and you can drive quickly, easily (75 MPH). And your right, its $8 each way, according to the calculator they have. Thanks!! I wonder how much it is for the I90 leg in NY; they dont got a site.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnoobie02 View Post
    Hey there...coincidently I just went up to Toronto this past weekend and the roadtrip took me 8 hrs. Total spent in tolls were $1.95 USD.

Any way, I used Route 11/15 (the road is mostly 15). 15-south will take you through Williamsport and into the Harrisburg area, but if you're going to DC...you may not need to drive all the way to Harrisburg and can find another route that will be more direct to Washington DC...

My route was:
    QEW
    I-190
    I-290
    I-90 (to Batavia RT-98)
    SR-63 (to I-390 / Genesee)
    Then US-15 South (and then I pretty much stayed on 15 till I got to where I needed to go)

8 hrs from Toronto to my destination (425 miles or so)
    Maybe there is a better route..but I found my drive scenic (most of it at least)
    Hmm that sounds pretty good, but how much of US-15 is divided? Next thing you know it, I will be behind a truck on those twisties in those mountains/hills.

BigB007, thanks for the info about 15. We might consider it.
    -Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by ly_br25 View Post

Hmm that sounds pretty good, but how much of US-15 is divided? Next thing you know it, I will be behind a truck on those twisties in those mountains/hills.

BigB007, thanks for the info about 15. We might consider it.
    US-15 can be annoying most of it is two lanes so you won't have to worry about the trucks too much but also could slow down when going through towns and what not that's always a downside to those kind of roads.

No problem anytime
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

I was doing about 70mph on 15 the whole time...I did get stuck in certain areas where traffic built up...but on my way up there (I left around 10pm) and no one was on the road so I flew by...on my way back I was in the area around 2-3pm so daytime traffic.

All in all, it wasn't a bad drive..there are passing zones too if I remember.

Thanks for the replies. It seems like 15/11 is good. We might just take 15/11 on the way there, and interstate on the way back. or the other way around.
    -Bruce

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.