Turbo blanket / DP wrap synopsis
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo blanket / DP wrap synopsis within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I was talking with some people at the Victory meet about my heat control efforts that involved wrapping my turbo ...

Turbo blanket / DP wrap synopsis

I was talking with some people at the Victory meet about my heat control efforts that involved wrapping my turbo , wrapping / painting my DP, and wrapping my FMIC charge pipe. At the time I couldn't remember the exact #'s so I figured I would post up here so everyone could see for themselves.

Thanks to Justin at jscspeed I was able to pick up the Turbo blanket kit and the lace up cool tube at a local autoX event. Yay for no shipping! I figured since I was so happy with the results of the wrap I would post results here.

the products:

Thermotec turbo wrap kit and cool tube charge pipe insulator, as well as a can of high temp paint I picked up at the local parts store.

Install: not too bad. I pulled the downpipe for wrapping / painting, which took a bit of time. The sewing of the wire into the blanket as well as the lacing up of the cool tube was done mostly by my wife. Overall I would say the cool tube took ~30 min., and the wrapping / painting was accomplished in a few hours (not including overnight dry time on the paint).

Results: I was lucky enough to have access to a very accurate temp probe from work. I took before and after measurements so that I could convince myself this was a worthwhile expenditure. These temps were taken at the end of my 30 min. commute from work, hopping out and measuring temps as soon as the car stopped (engine continued running)

Temp at turbo (touching the top of the hot side with probe): Before = 451F, After = 380F,
    Temp at DP (Again, touching DP with probe) Before = 350F, After = 230F
    Air temp 2 inches above turbo Before = 228F, After = 121F
    Temp of charge pipe (touching the underside of the pipe above turbo) Before = 163F, After = 103F.

To recap: wrapping turbo, and wrapping / painting DP =

71F drop in temps at turbo, 120F drop at DP, 108F drop in air temps within turbo area, and 60F drop at charge pipe.

Not too shabby if I say so myself.

Driving impressions:
    I don't think I notice a significant decrease in spool per se, but the car feels a bit smoother, a bit tighter, with a perceived increase in tq as the turbo comes on.

Overall, a worthwhile expenditure.Even if it turns ut to not have an actual effect on power, the piece of mind of running so much lower underhood temps makes it worthwhile for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Having never done a turbo blanket - would it be easier to remove the downpipe to wrap the turbo?
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon
    mod list http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2188188-post359.html - hopefully.

It's good to see quantitative data supporting the heat control efforts.

When I did my uppipe and downpipe, I coated both of them with VHT Flameproof, and I coated my turbo heatshield too. I'm sure my temp drops weren't nearly as significant as yours, but seeing your data makes me a bit more confident that my efforts might have had some effect.

Thanks, I am happy that I was able to borrow the probe from work so that I was able to take the measurements.

The wrap is paintable. I ended up wrapping my DP with the 1 inch wrap included in the kit and then hit it with some VHT. I think that is why I see greater drops there.

I took the DP off and I think it saves time in the long run. You need to push the blanket into all the "nooks and crannies" around the turbo, and it was just easier to do that with the DP off.

As I mentioned, the final wrapping was done with my wife topside and me underneath (one of my favorite positions ) and that helped a lot too. This allows you to get the wrap tucked up top while you pull on the wires underneath. Cleans up the install a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
    As I mentioned, the final wrapping was done with my wife topside and me underneath (one of my favorite positions ) and that helped a lot too. This allows you to get the wrap tucked up top while you pull on the wires underneath. Cleans up the install a bit.
    Yikes - I'm not going to knock my wife up am I? Is that how your current newborn came around?!
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon

The actual business part of the baby making process is quite impeded by the smell of PB blaster and exhaust dust.

I dunno the wife think's it is manly...

Soooo... a smaller 'hot side' makes for quicker 'spool up', right? hehehe
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon

By chance could you get readings on the intercooler and intake?
    I would imagine it would be hard to do before and after now...but just wondering.

I wasn't able to get those readings. My main concern was engine bay heat, so that is where I was focusing the efforts. Plus, there was no way to monitor the temps while I was driving the car.

That being said, having a charge pipe that is 60 degrees cooler should contribute nicely to a drop in charge temps at the TB.

Does the stock (or aftermarket) turbo heatshield fit back on after installing the turbo blanket?
    I would imagine you may not need it, but every little bit helps...

I am not sure. I am running an non stock turbo (installed be previous owner) and there was no heat shield on it. I chose this setup as an alternative to a heat shield. I figured if I was going to spend ~80 on a heat shield for my non stock setup that may require me to bend, cut, etc., I might as well just spend a bit more and get the extra material to allow for a DP wrap

Banned
    Do you have a link to the turbo blanket you used. I have a hemp wraped downpipe and love it.

I got mine at jscspeed, it

http://www.jscspeed.com/

Go to universal parts / thermotec products. They have a bunch of stuff for heat control listed there.

Wrinklechops
    Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but seeing as some time has elapsed now... any reports on longevity of the wrap/blanket? I mean, I imagine they hold up quite well, I was just curious how well exactly... and also if the turbo/downpipe life was decreased/increased/noticed at all? I want to do this, but some say that wrapping your pipes and stuff leads to premature wear because it traps all the heat... I guess it's a trade off.

Everything appears to be holding up fine. I have not unwrapped anything to check for problems. The blanket and the wrap is all in fine shape (no peeling off of the metalized layers, no fraying or unraveling of the wrap). There is not even any discoloration. I would say they work beautifully.

I also want to take the chance to plug jscspeed again. I have dealt with them for almost all my parts since my first purchase from them (which was the wrap mentioned here), and they are top notch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.