Is the ticking noise normal?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Is the ticking noise normal? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Ok, so I just got this 02 WRX and I know nothing about turbochargers nor subaru cars...so I'm paranoid about ...

Is the ticking noise normal?

Ok, so I just got this 02 WRX and I know nothing about turbochargers nor subaru cars...so I'm paranoid about every new thing I hear in the car.

When I turn off my engine/car, there's a ticking noise under the hood. The ticking noise is there for a couple minutes and then it's gone. I only notice the noise after I shut the engine off. Is the ticking noise normal?

Does it have to do with the turbo cooling down?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnoobie02 View Post
    Ok, so I just got this 02 WRX and I know nothing about turbochargers nor subaru cars...so I'm paranoid about every new thing I hear in the car.

When I turn off my engine/car, there's a ticking noise under the hood. The ticking noise is there for a couple minutes and then it's gone. I only notice the noise after I shut the engine off. Is the ticking noise normal?

Does it have to do with the turbo cooling down?
    that noise is the hot internal metal components contracting because they are cooling down. it is 100% and completely normal.
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

great! thanks for the quick response. i was getting worried too. i love this car, it gets better and better every day...hah

great! thanks for the quick response. i was getting worried too. i love this car, it gets better and better every day...hah
    haha no prob - any more questions about upgrading or anything, let me know.

and yeah, my car when i just shut it off, you will see heat come out of the hoodscoop. haha.

What kind of car did you have before??

i still have my old baby....
    it's a 98 honda prelude...everything's stock, got about 155k miles and still going strong
    i also had a 94 prelude si that had a 96 si engine in it cuz the original engine blew...that had about 262k miles on it and i traded it in for the 02 wrx.

funny story on that. i bought it from the honda dealer the day after the previous owner traded it in. i always wanted a turbocharged AWD car and the wrx was it. i couldn't afford a brand new one, but this one was a deal i couldn't pass up. it's 02 blue wrx and had 44k miles on it. very clean exterior and interior...one owner

i still have my old baby....
    it's a 98 honda prelude...everything's stock, got about 155k miles and still going strong
    i also had a 94 prelude si that had a 96 si engine in it cuz the original engine blew...that had about 262k miles on it and i traded it in for the 02 wrx.

funny story on that. i bought it from the honda dealer the day after the previous owner traded it in. i always wanted a turbocharged AWD car and the wrx was it. i couldn't afford a brand new one, but this one was a deal i couldn't pass up. it's 02 blue wrx and had 44k miles on it. very clean exterior and interior...one owner
    awesome. how much was it? and how old are you?

i think it was $13750 before tax, title, etc. ....personally i thought it was a good deal and i didn't really care if i had to pay a little more...i just wanted the damn car

it's a stock wrx, but i think it has the sti short shifter, sti titanium shift knob, and turbo gauge ...nothing else special about it

i'm 25.

what about you? what mods you got on your car??
    thats not a bad deal at all. especially with only 44k...that will go another 100k if you take good care of it. these things like to have regular oil changes - if you dont know the history of it, change the oil now and put synthetic in

I have an 07 WRX - just have the SPT intake and exhaust for now - gonna get the cobb tuning accessport 2.0 when i can afford it, and a downpipe to go with it. Then i'll be pushing 260 to the wheels :-D

i need it to last me another 150K i like to drive my cars till it hits 200k before i change to a new one.

i did just change the oil this past weekend. i didn't realize how "small" the oem subaru filters were. i am using that and use mobile 1 5w-30 oil. since i drive long distances (in both cars) i end up changing oil too frequently and mobil 1 oil is expensive....i was thinking of making the intervals 5,000 miles between changes...ya think that's too extreme?

eh...since you're online...got another dumb question. what is this "COBB" thing everyone refers to? what is it? what does it do? how much does it cost? and do i need one?

look at cobb's parts Here.

and don't go more than 3700 miles even with synth - i would just bite the bullet and keep using M1 for oil - make sure when you change the oil you buy a new crush ring for the drain. if you reuse the same one they tend to break.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.