For those who have driven behind me on fun runs.....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on For those who have driven behind me on fun runs..... within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Smell no more! After the last two Victory fun runs, each of the people in the cars behind me commented ...

For those who have driven behind me on fun runs.....

Smell no more!

After the last two Victory fun runs, each of the people in the cars behind me commented on how my car smelled furiously from no cats. I took the hint and put my cat on (when I purchased the car it was off). Took some clips of the before and after.

Sounds clips are in this link.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpo...&postcount=331

Now I feel as though I am doing my part to help the environment, and preserve some brain cells of the people who run behind me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds nice.

You can tell the difference. The catless has a little more raspyness to it(I guess thats what Ill call it) than with the cat. It sounds smoother with the cat in there.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Nice.

So did you have to cut the DP for this? Where did you put the cat?

What brand and type of cat did you use? How much did it cost installed?

Can you tell any difference in boost, performance, or mpg?

How much did it chance the sound from inside the car? Signifigantly?

Thanks, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    Nice.

So did you have to cut the DP for this? Where did you put the cat?

What brand and type of cat did you use? How much did it cost installed?

Can you tell any difference in boost, performance, or mpg?

How much did it chance the sound from inside the car? Signifigantly?

Thanks, T.J.

On the APS system, the cat is the lower half of the downpipe. The previous owner of the car bought the APS cat that matches the exhaust, but never put it on. There was a test pipe on there instead.

I put it on myself. It was a bit of a PITA because I tried to just swap it with the test pipe, but the cat is too wide to mount it on the car. I had to remove the "downpipe" assemble it with the cat out of the car, and then install them as one piece.

I just did this this morning, so my only impressions are from a very short test drive to check for leaks. With the windows down it is considerable quieter. After a few days of driving I will have more impressions on how it aaffects spool, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
    Smell no more! After the last two Victory fun runs, each of the people in the cars behind me commented on how my car smelled furiously from no cats. I took the hint and put my cat on (when I purchased the car it was off). Took some clips of the before and after.
    Cats are good! We all look foraward to the next Victory meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
    Now I feel as though I am doing my part to help the environment, and preserve some brain cells of the people who run behind me
    Preserve brain cells? Some of us need that more than others ... :raisedhand:
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 12-10-2006 at 03:26 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    It wasn't that bad....

She's all happy and running top-notch now?
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

She was always running top notch, just a bit rich and stinky

I got the car already tuned, and it is tuned very conservatively at 292whp at 19psi.

I am taking it to Xotic in about a month to get tuned, which will hopefully be the last thing I do to the car.

I am not neccessarily looking for more power, I want to prioritize effciency (ie lean out the rich spots a bit) and spoolup. This is my daily driver / autoX ride. I want to see more low and mid range rather than have the highets hp car I can get. We shall see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    It wasn't that bad....
    it was for me. i was getting a lttle dizzy and was fairly sick to my stomache after an hour of being behind him. i was not following too close either. i am a smoker, so i had my window cracked some. i had to turn the vents to recirc. when i did that, i was feeling better in less than 5 minutes

glad to hear you took care of it. after smelling that, i decided a high flow cat was the way i was going to go, despite the cost.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

I was giving out free highs. Driving behind me is cheaper than huffing into a paper bag

I never realized it was bad because I was never behind the car while it was on the road. The APS high flow knocks out the smell (so a few people have told me), quiets the car down a bit, and doesn't really affect spool that much at all.

the sound going down is a little bit of a bummer. it def sounded nice without the cats
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

It actually turns out to be an advantage in my case. That car will one day (maybe sooner than later) have to transport little Furious Georges or Georgettes. Making the car a bit more civil sounding convinced my wife to let me keep it rather than turn it in for some pedestrian family hauler.

I am actually investing a little bit of cash into a sound deadening project in the next few months to cut down on some of the road and exhaust noise in the rear of the car.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.