PA Emissions inspection and stage 2 cobb?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on PA Emissions inspection and stage 2 cobb? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; does anybody in PA pass state inspection with cobb stage 2? If so how? Gotta "buy" a sticker or what? ...

PA Emissions inspection and stage 2 cobb?

does anybody in PA pass state inspection with cobb stage 2? If so how?

Gotta "buy" a sticker or what?

I want to go stage 2, but I need to know how to keep it on the road.
    04 platinum silver metallic WRX 4EAT, 04/05 STi coming soon as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-Rated View Post
    does anybody in PA pass state inspection with cobb stage 2? If so how?

Gotta "buy" a sticker or what?

I want to go stage 2, but I need to know how to keep it on the road.
    Yeah, all PA does is use the diagnostic port. There is no sniffer. If you don't have a CEL, you pass. The reflash suppresses it. AP=pass inspection. What county you looking to have it done? I know a great shop in Lower Bucks.

Well, we live in the allentown area, not sure what county this is, or what inspection stations are close to us, but we have a little time left to go still. I just cant spend the $1,800 on the stage 2 package, unless It's going to keep the car street legal. If it does, then I would be very happy to purchase it in the spring so next summer can be a blast.

If PA ONLY uses OBD-II then you will pass as long as:

1) AP is properly installed
    2) AP has cleared all codes - it should, just make sure the lights off
    3) You wait at least a month after flashing to get inspected because it takes a certain number of duty cycles for all of your sensors to be in the "ready" position. if they are not "ready" you will not pass. It is just a matter of time.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Don't spend $1800! just get an uppipe,downpipe, and catback then run open source ECU maps. Check out http://www.plasmatize.com/osecuroms/

Buy a $90 OBDII --> USB cable and hook it up to a laptop and you can supress all of the CEL's you want. It takes a lot of reading and learning but I think the savings of $500 are worth it.

Banned
    Well, we live in the allentown area, not sure what county this is, or what inspection stations are close to us, but we have a little time left to go still. I just cant spend the $1,800 on the stage 2 package, unless It's going to keep the car street legal. If it does, then I would be very happy to purchase it in the spring so next summer can be a blast.
    There are probably a ton of them. You are in Lehigh County, BTW.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    If PA ONLY uses OBD-II then you will pass as long as:

1) AP is properly installed
    2) AP has cleared all codes - it should, just make sure the lights off
    3) You wait at least a month after flashing to get inspected because it takes a certain number of duty cycles for all of your sensors to be in the "ready" position. if they are not "ready" you will not pass. It is just a matter of time.
    I also found it helpful to be up front with the shop doing the test. If you have an aftermarket cat, let them know.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

The cobb stage 2 kit, will be ordered catless, I belive thats an option anyway. It looks like their downpipe can come with, or without cats. If I purchase the system from them catless, will PA inspection look under the car and fail me for catless? (I assume yes if they knew this setup was on the car?)

Thanks so far for all the replies, much appreciated!

I Support ClubWRX
    The cobb stage 2 kit, will be ordered catless, I belive thats an option anyway. It looks like their downpipe can come with, or without cats. If I purchase the system from them catless, will PA inspection look under the car and fail me for catless? (I assume yes if they knew this setup was on the car?)

Thanks so far for all the replies, much appreciated!
    I have passed twice. The last shop I used was concerned with the aftermarket cat. I pointed them to Cobb's website and showed them what was installed. They semi-reluctantly passed it. I will be going elsewhere this year (soon, within the next 90 days).

There is supposed to be no visual, but who knows? Removing a cat is verboten. Again, check with the shop and tell them what is going on underneath before committing to the test.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    Yeah, the guy that did my inspection was I guy who I got baked/worked with at a Pizza Hut in high school with so I didn't have to really worry about it.

I also live in Lehigh County. I have Cobb Stage 2 and am catless.

As previously stated, as long as there are no trouble codes, the computer test will pass. I have a Godspeed DP which does not trigger any codes.

As far as visual inspection goes, I'd be willing to bet most garages never look. If they do, though, it could be a hassle.

I've used US Automotive (Hanover Ave, Allentown), Star Automotive (RTE 873, Neffs) and Peters (RTE 863, New Tripoli) and have had no problems.
    Last edited by copracer288; 12-12-2006 at 06:10 PM.
    Rob

'07 Dodge Charger SRT8, black

Gone but not forgotten: '04 STi, '01 Camaro SS

Life Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars

Emissions testing varies from county to county within PA. Some counties only do a visual, Luzerne County (where I am) does a visual and gas cap test, others do an OBDII scan and so on. And from "understand" you are exempt from emissions testing if you drive under 5000 miles a year.
    Tom ~ 06 WRX Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.