Alexander Subaru in Williamsport, PA
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Alexander Subaru in Williamsport, PA within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Alexander Subaru 2830 Lycoming Creek Road Williamsport, PA 17701 P: (570) 494-0836 Dealership Review Let me first begin by stating ...

Thumbs down Alexander Subaru in Williamsport, PA

Alexander Subaru
    2830 Lycoming Creek Road
    Williamsport, PA 17701
    P: (570) 494-0836

Dealership Review

Let me first begin by stating that I do not write reviews unless the item/place/location/service in question was exceptionally great or terribly horrible. This happens to be an occasion where the review is the latter of the two. I would just like to share my experiences with this dealership and strong urge everyone and all members to stay away.

As some of you may know I was looking for a good winter vehicle. I have been shopping around for a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition in black w/ black interior in a 5 speed manual. Now on no way shape or form was this my first personal or family Subaru purchase. I did all the negotiations and purchasing of the following Subarus for mostly me and a couple for my family:
    - 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    - 2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
    - 2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5TS
    - 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
    - 2005 Subaru Impreza STi
    - 2005 Subaru Impreza STi (yes, 2 of them)

Now I would not expect any issue purchasing another Subaru from any dealership, especially if they knew my history with Subaru. Currently me and my family still own 3 Subarus, and I was looking to trade in a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder for a smaller sedan that doesn’t guzzle as much gas. After being a loyal customer to Subaru, I figured this was a no brainer to go with a 2007 Legacy model.

To begin with here is the chain of phone calls that I received from the dealership before we could even start talking about me purchasing a vehicle.

[Phone call #1]
    I spoke with a representative on the phone from Alexander Subaru, he was kind. I asked him for a quota on my specific vehicle to which he informed me he has to call me back with an exact price. I agreed to this since it makes sense, he has to find out all the information.

[Phone call #2]
    The representative returns my phone call a couple hours later only to ask if I am trading in a vehicle as in it will affect the price of the new car. This was upholding. I have purchased many vehicles in my day, and at no point and time should my decision to trade in a vehicle or not affect my purchase price of a new one. They are 2 separate transactions. I informed the sales representative that I wasn’t sure if I was trading a vehicle in and asked him nicely to please provide me with a price quote. He was hesitant and actually argued that I have to decide if I want to trade in or not so I can receive the most accurate quote. I informed him once again that I am not sure and if he could please provide me with a price quote. He informed me that he has to call me back again.

[Phone call #3]
    Once again the representative calls me, and once again without a price quote. This time he would like to ask if I am financing the vehicle or paying cash for it. I asked why this would matter at this point of the conversation since I am only trying to get a price quote for the vehicle. He informed me that depending whether I finance or pay cash that also affects the price of the car. Once again I informed the gentleman that I wasn’t sure and I just want a price quote on the vehicle. He almost refused to provide the information to me. He was stating that without knowing concrete information I cannot receive a proper quote for the purchase price. I informed the sales representative that it does not matter whether I pay cash or finance or trade in or not. He told me I was wrong and that the price of the new car purchase is all affected by this. I didn’t know telling the customer they are wrong is a sales technique these days? For the sake of just trying to get a quote at this point I said that there is no trade and I am paying cash. Once again the sales representative was not ready with my information and informed me that he has to call me back.

[Phone call #4]
    I was unable to answer the call since I was in a meeting at the time. The sales representative left me a voicemail asking to call him back, once again without any information on a quote for the vehicle.

[Phone call #5]
    I call the dealership back and my sales agent is with another customer. I was actually speaking with the manager at the moment, and asked if he could have my sales representative call me back as soon as he gets a chance. He informed me that he will do that.

2 Business days pass by and I do not receive any phone calls from the dealership!

[Phone call #6]
    I call the dealership 2 business days later asking my sales representative why he hasn’t called me back yet. He informed me that he tried multiple times over the last couple of days but the phone calls weren’t going through and he wasn’t even able to receive voicemails. These were the only phone calls that I “missed” over those 2 business days. He finally provided me with a quote. It was $200 higher than other dealerships (I have received quotes from about 5 other locations). I informed him of this and asked him to price match. Once again he said he would call me back.

[Phone call #7]
    The sales agent called me back, agreed to my price, and we scheduled an appointment for me to pickup the vehicle 3 business days later.

[Phone call #8]
    I call my sales representative the day of the appointment to inform him that I will be trading in my vehicle and that I will be financing as well. He informed me that’s no problem.

So after 8 phone calls I was finally set to go to the dealership. The dealer was about 100 miles from where I live, and I headed out. As I arrived to the dealership I noticed a lot of black Subaru Legacy models and was looking for mine. It was all ready to go and prepped inside of their garage. I went inside to complete the transaction.

As I walked in I was greeted with the foul smell of hamburgers and fast food as most of the staff was eating lunch in the showroom floor. Yes, that is correct, the sales agents, the secretary, and even the manager were all eating greasy fast food on a table in the middle of the showroom floor. It was specifically between a Silver Legacy and an Outback wagon, and the odor was smelt across the whole showroom. This is not the type of customer service I would expect from a Subaru dealership, nor have I ever seen it another location, ever.

I begin to speak with my sales agent. We greet, shake hands, and sit down at his desk. He starts by providing me with the price quote again, which I already know hence why I was there. Then states that he needs my license, insurance card, and registration for trade in to complete the paperwork. The agent was 100% un-prepared. He had a price quote and not a single form filled out at all. We had a meeting schedule 3 business days in advance and not a single form filled out, at least with minimal information. At least the car was prepped…..

The agent shows me the car, offers a test drive, I turn it down since I know what I want and have driven the vehicle before, as well as many other Subarus. Then he continues to state that he just needs to get everything filled out and we’ll sign all the paperwork. I informed him that we still have 2 other factors in the transaction. His response was “What do you mean? The deal is basically done?” word for word. I am not sure if this was his first car sale, but there was a trade and financing which he was aware of. Both big factors in purchasing a vehicle. I informed him of this, as to which he basically said “oh ok”. After they inspected my vehicle, and I had to wait for about 30 minutes for a response they brought back an insulting offer on my trade. I have received other appraisals of my vehicle, and have actually taken care of the small nit picks the other quotes have had, and theirs was lower by about $1,000. I countered offered with a reasonable amount, that I have already been quoted at other locations, and stated that if they match this I will sign the paperwork and buy from them. I signed a written offer for the manager. The manager came back, handed me the keys, and told me that it’s the best he can do and if I don’t want it I can leave.

The only thought that came to mind was “WOW. This dealership absolutely does not want to sell me a car” at this point. They would not even price match to quotes I have already received.

I left the dealership for 15 minutes and complete a private party sale someone was interested in my vehicle. The buyer was paying cash for my vehicle and I informed him that if I am able to purchase the Legacy straight up I will sell him my car. It was a family friend of mine back home in Chicago. I wanted to make sure I can still buy the vehicle, since this dealership has been nothing but trouble so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I return about 15 minutes later and wait about another 10 for someone to find my sales person. Once found I informed him that I would like to purchase the vehicle at the discussed sale price and just finance it without a trade. The gentleman had me fill out a credit application for Chase Subaru (where all 3 of my families Subaru loans reside). After the application was filled out I waited for 30 minutes till my sales representative returned. He only came back to inform me that they just started to input all my information. In that case, what where they doing for 30 minutes? Then an hour, actual 60 minutes later, they finally came back to me with the information. They stated that since I still have a loan on my previous vehicle they cannot provide me with financing until the bank states it is paid off, or they can offer me 15.99% APR! 15.9%APR! I was insulted at this point, personally! You can acquire credit cards with better rates these days! My other Subaru is financed at 4.9%, and my parents Subarus are financed at 2.9% and 3.9% through Subaru. And they said it’s either a bank letter of 15.99% APR! After the experience I had I couldn’t even believe they were serious.

I informed them that I can sign a voucher stating the loan will be paid off in full and they can go ahead with the new loan at an acceptable APR. They stated this is not possible. I did the same thing when purchasing my 2005 STi, and the dealership didn’t even blink when this was the steps followed. I signed a voucher, and they provided me with financing without any issues. This dealership stated that is not possible. Not only did they tell me I was wrong before, now they are calling me a liar. I had the same exact situation with loans in the past, and a signed vouching agreement was plenty to provide financing for me.

I honestly feel this dealership did not want to sell me a car. I have never, ever been treated this poorly and with such terrible customer service in my life. I would never expect this at a Subaru dealership, especially to a customer as loyal as me and my family. I am disgusted with the whole incident.

I feel this review is very accurate of the way this dealership has treated me and its just plain unbelievable. I am currently in the process of looking into selling my 2005 STi. My father was going to upgrade his 2003 Impreza 2.5TS to a new model, most likely a new 2008 with the new body style. At the moment I told him to start looking into other vehicle. I do not believe I will be purchasing a 2007 Legacy as a replacement for my winter SUV. I was also planning on trading in my 2005 STi for a 2009 STi with the new body style. This is also not an option for me anymore. The way I was treated at this location was uncalled for, and disgusting.

I strongly urge anyone and everyone who loves their Subarus to stay away from this dealership. They will single-handedly steer you away from ever purchasing a Subaru again. I am very disappointed with my trip and that I am not the proud owner of another new Subaru. I hope that enough people see this and read this that one day things will change and dealerships like this will learn to treat customers the right way!

Have you tried wnl subaru in northumberland? They are awesome.
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

'05 2.0l WRX, 245awhp, 243awtq. Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by lonedw86
    Have you tried wnl subaru in northumberland? They are awesome.
    Thank you, just sent them am e-mail. They look great, and mod friendly!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- 2005 Subaru STi
    - 340AWHP 380AWTQ 93 Octane w/ Stock Turbo - FOR SALE!!!
    -- 2006 Yamaha GP1300R -- 175HP on H2O
    -- 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe SE AWD (planned purchase)
    -- 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 **SOLD**

that really sucks. my Subaru dealership wasnt "all that" either but I just could not resist this car. ill still buy subarus, no doubt, but probably not from there again.
    Jeff
    All In Automotive
    http://www.allinautomotive.com
    Car and automotive related news.

2006 WRX TR, Cobb Stage 2, Invidia DP, SPT Intake, KB shifter and bushings, Tanabe GF210s.

dont put up with it come see steve morgan at annapolis subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyInc
    Thank you, just sent them am e-mail. They look great, and mod friendly!
    anytime.
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

What are you, some kind of abused girlfriend? Why did you keep going back to them after all that crap? Terrible, I am sad to hear you had to go through all that garbage.

Good luck selling the STi.
    2006 WRX TR

Just because WnL is mod friendly, doesnt mean they are a good dealership. I have a a couple issues with them when I bought my 02 WRX. They may be nice to your face or over the phone but when it comes to everything else...well just ask Subaru of America...(rather not get into the lengthy details)

Quote Originally Posted by DeezNutz1833 View Post
    Just because WnL is mod friendly, doesnt mean they are a good dealership. I have a a couple issues with them when I bought my 02 WRX. They may be nice to your face or over the phone but when it comes to everything else...well just ask Subaru of America...(rather not get into the lengthy details)
    sorry that you had trouble. I think they are an awesome dealership.
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

Peachypumpkincheeks

Wow, crazy story! Thanks for sharing (in great detail). If I ever move to PA, I will not be buying from there!

Good luck on your future Subaru purchases!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.