Thinking about a relocation to Philly....please be honest!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Thinking about a relocation to Philly....please be honest!! within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I have to be honest with you all....I live in Denver and have for all my life, I have for ...

Thinking about a relocation to Philly....please be honest!!

I have to be honest with you all....I live in Denver and have for all my life, I have for my tuning career always been.......fly by night as a vendor selling products to support my toys without the trouble of explaining to the wife why I got a boost controller instead of new shoes for the kids

I have an opportunity at www.sig.com to expand what I do by "day" as a desktop engineer( I was laid off...and it sucks!!) .

Looking for feedback from you all for the life in Philly area and what my family can expect (areas to live near Bala Cynwyd) as far as schools and general life. (race tracks, crime, people, etc......)

I currenty live in a 2400 sq ft house kinda rural.....in a golf course community with a house value of about $355,000, have an STI and an Evo........want to keep it about the same, so I am looking into options. My daughter really wants a horse, I really want my Evo...and my wife really wants her STI (we all have toys!!)

I have been a memeber here forever and really value your opinoins...

I have really spoiled myself with a fun job, and a fun "business" on the forums. Cheers to anybody that replies....hell 5% off anything in the world via PM

thank you in advance,

Nate
    (business closed)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well if you do make the move, we'd love to have you!

Bala Cynwyd is very close to the City of Philadelphia. It is in part of what most would consider the "Main Line" area. This is very wealthy section of the suburbs. I have lived in nearby Bryn Mawr, I currently live in Conshohocken and I work further out in Malvern. Philadelphia really is quite a nice city. It does have its problems like most others, but there isn't much that the city and the surrounding area can't offer. I have lived a few other places around the East Coast and this about the best it gets as far I'm concerned.

PM me with more questions.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

thanks for teh reply...sent you a PM to keep it offline
    (business closed)

Banned
    Philly rocks! You get a wolrd class city with a ton of culture. The burbs are nice, you can be at the beach in an hour or in the mountains in an hour 1/2. Our traffic is kinda weak and the large increase in murder in the certain areas of the city sux. The area your lookin is a great one tho.

I lived in University City for 4 years during college and it sucked hard. But if you aren't actually living in the city itself you'll probably be fine.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

dont rule out south jersey. I currently commute into philly everyday from south jersey and it is breeze. If you plan on buying a house in that price range jersey might be a good spot for you.

I live in malvern one of the last stops on the main line, i love it out here, great people, tons of things to do, the shore, mountains, and a pretty cool city. Good luck

I live in the burbs north of Philly so my experience in Philly proper is limited. Here's what I can tell you.

Culture: surprisingly good. Art museum is great. Lots of great historical sites. Zoo is supposed to be great if your daughter is into animals.

Entertainment: Definitely take advantage of "restaurant week" which is held 2x/year. All the high-end restaurants offer meals for a flat $30 rate (you pick from a limited menu). You can eat at some crazy good places w/out going broke. If you can stomach the sports fans, the new ballparks are great. I can't speak for clubs or bars but I've heard good things. Fairmount park is one of the largest city parks in the world and is a great place to bike / jog / whatever.

Traffic: terrible. Learn the back roads.

People: every town has great people and every town has its jerks. Philly's no exception.

Suburbs: Just like Denver, the sprawl is terrible. You'll pass 5 stores in a strip mall and see the same 5 stores in the next strip mall 2 miles down the road.

Scenery: When people say "I'm heading to the mountains this weekend" they actually mean the poconos which, although quite lovely, don't exactly qualify as mountains. Being from Denver, just smile politely and try not to laugh. From Philly, you're only about an hour away from beautiful rolling countryside in Lancaster county or central Jersey. You'll find lots of horse farms / stables in Bucks county and central Jersey. Philly itself doesn't feel as clean and well layed-out as Denver but it's not too bad.

That's all I got. If my job wasn't keeping me here, I'd choose Denver over Philly but as East coast cities go, you could do a whole lot worse. Hope it helps.

Philly - Your new home?

Philly is a great place to live if your thinking about relocating to the East Coast. It is a great city, not too expensive and centrally located to other great cities on the East Coast (Boston, NY, Baltimore & D.C).

My wife and I have lived in center city for the past six years and we love it. Crime will not be an issue in the areas and price range you are looking at. You may even find room for your daughter's horse.

I'll PM you with my wife's contact info who is a realtor in the city. She doesn't handle the area you're looking in but will be able to give you a thorough description of the city and life in surrounding areas. She can also help you find a good realtor in that area if you decide to move.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.