WTF..failed emissions in PA w/ cats and no CELS

This is a discussion on WTF..failed emissions in PA w/ cats and no CELS within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; yesterday i spent the day swapping out my bellmouth downpipe back to stock and then reflashing my ECU to stage ...

WTF..failed emissions in PA w/ cats and no CELS

yesterday i spent the day swapping out my bellmouth downpipe back to stock and then reflashing my ECU to stage 1. I took my car to get inspected today and the guy told me it didnt pass emissions. Apparently the ECU hasnt been reset for a long enough period for all of the sensors to be reading correctly...does this sound right to anyone. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing me to fail?
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Had the same thing happen in my audi S4 last year. Took three attempts (about 4 weeks) to pass.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

You probably would have passed with your downpipe on anyway. Pa does OBD2 testing. When you reset your ecu you have to put a certain number of miles on your car before your sensors become ready.

It happened to me also.... there is a test cycle that the car has to go through. It is around 50 miles with varying speed and other stuff, you can ask the place to give you the instructions.
    - Jim

A general rule of thumb for OBDII is to allow two weeks after resetting your ECU to allow it time to "learn" that everything is as it should be.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

I Support ClubWRX
    From what I can tell, you need to put about 50 miles on it, and cycle the car at least 30 times (on/off with driving in between) after resetting the ECU before going to inspection. You car didn't technicaly fail...it's just the OBDII emissions sees it as a recent CEL reset (amongst other things) and thus, won't provide a passing grade.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Just happened to me last week. I had reset my ECU due to a cel a few days before, and they told me the car was reading "not ready". They charged me an extra $75 to "perform sensor readiness procedures". Which meant driving it around for a while until the car was ready. As far as I am concerned, still better than having to explain a CEL for misfire on all 4 cylinders.