NJ Window Tinting
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on NJ Window Tinting within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I've been wondering about the law and rules about window tinting in NJ. I've read, online, that no tinting is ...

NJ Window Tinting

I've been wondering about the law and rules about window tinting in NJ. I've read, online, that no tinting is allowed on the Windshield and Front Side Windows and any darkness can be used on the Back Side Windows and Rear Window. Is this true? I remember seeing multiple cars with all windows tinted before...so I'm a bit confused.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Windshield is 4" top strip maximum from what I recall. Front windows can't have any. The rest can have anything. Reality is who cares just do what you want. It's like a $40 ticket. And I have never once been stopped in 16 years for having tinted windows.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ WRX View Post
    Windshield is 4" top strip maximum from what I recall. Front windows can't have any. The rest can have anything. Reality is who cares just do what you want. It's like a $40 ticket. And I have never once been stopped in 16 years for having tinted windows.
    Gotcha, and lol haha...I'd personally rather not want to deal with the cops unless I really have to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In NY it's $180 per window. I don't like NY as much as I used to.

Can anyone confirm that cars can still pass inspection with front tints? Just bought my first WRX yesterday, 2014 hatch- and want to get tints all around. I've lived in NY my whole life where tints are fine, and want to confirm that the Inspection will still pass since it looks like its emissions only?

Thanks!!

I took my vette through with the sides tinted. They aren't blacked out but they are obviously darker than factory (I don't know the percentage as it was done by the original owner). Nobody even looked at them. I could have gotten lucky, but it felt like they were just doing the obvious, quick check and you were free to go.

All my windows are tinted. My front ones are lighter then the rest . You can see in. I've gotten pulled over twice . $54. It was also the end of the month when I got tickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about NJ but in NY its all illegal except the back windshield. Even the strip on the front windshield is illegal. On my old car I had every window tinted and the second I started driving into the Bronx more often I've gotten harassed, they ticket every window that's tinted. But honestly it shouldn't stop you, like stated above its not that expensive to pay for the ticket and if you show up to court they usually reduce those tickets. I also have a NJ friend whos a Cop and my uncle is an attorney in the Bronx. With that being said here are some pointers... If your windows are tinted and you see a cop ahead just put your windows down or open the sunroof (if you have one) the more light entering the inside of the car the lighter the tint looks. If you get pulled over for tints and you get a ticket the cop may tell you to remove the tints, take pictures and bring the pictures to court. Find someone who has the same car or similar without tints and take pictures of the windows to bring into court (trust me itll work). The judge will barely look to see if its your car all hes looking at is the windows. If you don't want to deal with any of this, well we all know the answer. Plus, its not like you're selling drugs, its just a sticker. Pay to play!!

Just go my tint done at Dynamic Tint in Williamstown. They did a great job. Got 5 windows in 3M Color Stable.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wRX.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	276689

Tint darkness for sedans:
    Windshield: No tint is allowed on the windshield.
    Front Side windows: No tint can be applied legally to this window.
    Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
    Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Tint darkness for SUV and vans:
    Windshield: No tint is allowed on the windshield.
    Front Side windows: No tint can be applied legally to this window.
    Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
    Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Full list by state
    New Jersey 2016/2017 Tint Laws
    See ya on the Parkway
    MODS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.