Well that title sure said alot lol
1) I'm a new member, so howdy ya'll. Long time Wrx admirer, long time lurker of threads and whatnot since i'm the type that likes to learn everything ad nauseum about things i'm interested in.
2) NOW i'm a new Subie owner! Just purchased a 2002 WRX with 103k on it in stock condition with fantastic body and everything running as it should. I've been a long time mitsu owner but have always admired the WRX Lineage. I owned a 93 Eclipse GST, then an 03 Lancer OZ rally that i boosted with a custom kit i built. Moved on to a leased 09 Lancer GTS that i kept stock, before trading up for a 2011 EVO GSR. LOVED that car but gas was killing me, payments were killing me, so i traded in for a 2015 soccer mom Outlander sport. Still have the sport but have been developing the turbo itch for a couple years now and finally decided to set aside some cash and pick up a fun weekend car. Hence the 2002 WRX
3) That being said, its time for Timing belt. I've read that there is a 50/50 opinion on whether to get the water pump done at the same time, with those saying yes just due to preventative maintenance, and those saying no due to it being rare to have a WP die before 150k. So all of that aside, the timing belt still needs to be done. I've done timing belt jobs on my previous lancer and eclipse, but the boxer engine is new to me. I called a few dealerships and got quoted anywhere from $900 up to $1300. I called a recommended local repair shop who said they dont even do the timing jobs on the WRX because its out of their comfort zone since he claimed it needed a few extra tools so as to not damage the sprockets...............Respect him being honest that he's not comfortable enough to do it.
So that leaves me with the following questions
1) Anyone know any reputable shops on Long Island that i should call up for a Timing belt job, and what the jobs tend to cost? I know on my Lancers, even a shop wasnt over $500, so i was surprised to see a $900 price tag.
2) any local long islanders want to make a new WRX friend and help me DIY it in my driveway one day? Cash and Beer will be provided Only experienced please
Aside from all of that. Cheers and i am so already massively addicted to the Subaru rumble