New to forum with question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to forum with question within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hello I joined this forum to ask you all a question. So I found a nice blue 2002 wrx on ...

New to forum with question

Hello I joined this forum to ask you all a question.
    So I found a nice blue 2002 wrx on Craigslist. The seller is asking $7000 for it. Seller says it has 150000 miles and 20000 miles on a rebuilt engine. So my question is, is this car worth $7000. Kbb says around $4000 for one with 150000 miles and 7500 for one with 20000.
    Thanks for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't consider the rebuilt engine an increase to the value of the car.. if anything it should be worth less. If the original engine failed at 130k miles it's probably safe to assume that the car was not well taken care of.

That's what I thought. I've also read about the weak transmissions this year of wrx had. Could that be a huge problem? It's in great condition otherwise and rust free since it was a Texas truck.
    All in all seems way overpriced right?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The early 02 (AA code) transmissions are weaker than all versions that came after.. although that's only a problem if you abuse it. Some people break them at stock power levels, and other people have no problem with nearly twice the factory power.. it's all in how you drive it.

I would want to know how and why the first engine failed, and exactly how it was repaired (and by whom).. if it was replaced with a pre-assembled factory longblock directly from Subaru, then I would feel a lot better about it than if the shortblock was simply "rebuilt" by Joe Bob in his back yard.

02-03 WRX routinely sell for above blue book value, so it really just depends on what's out there and how badly you want it. You could certainly get a different car (like a Civic) for the same cost, that's newer, with less miles, that would be more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

Thanks I'll ask him some questions about it.
    I'm trying to stock to an awd car. So this or an audi are my choices.

I'd be extremely careful with used Audis as well.

Because of the timing belt and water pump issue?

Nothing specific as that. Just general repairs and issues can be extremely costly. My cousin had a 2008 A4 S line. Had some electrical issues under warranty so no biggie. Eventually a computer issue popped up out of warranty and was expensive enough for him to justify trading it in.
    Just keep in mind all cars have their own quirks, always best to go into it with open eyes......and possibly an open wallet.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.