Winter Tires Question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Tires Question within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey All, Super noob here about tires. I'm picking up my friends I believe 07 BBS STI wheels 5x114.3 Wanted ...

Winter Tires Question

Hey All,

Super noob here about tires. I'm picking up my friends I believe 07 BBS STI wheels 5x114.3

Wanted to know what kind of tires would fit on these wheels and also what else is everyone is running?
    I was looking and wondering if these tires (I like meatier tires with a larger sidewall for the winter) would fit these wheels

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Thanks for all your insight, again I'm a noob lol
    Instagram: Chip0tleFein

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

THE Resident Non-shifter JaySin's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If those are 17x8 wheels, then yes those will fit. Also, yes those are good winter tires. I ran them.
    However, let me warn you, they are NOT performance winter tires so don't expect a GREAT dry road performance from them. They do tend to be a little floaty. They're fantastic in rain and snow though.

What is the stock tire size for your WRX? You have to factor in the sidewall size for speedo accuracy.

Tire Size Calculator

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you're in north NJ, I'd question the need for full snow-tires as opposed to performance winter rubber.

235/45/17 will fit well.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

THE Resident Non-shifter JaySin's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If cost is an issue, but you want better dry performance with good winter capability check out the Blizzak LM32 tire as well. I think in your size it should still be around $160-$170 per.

If cost is not as important, you can look at Michelins selection of Pilot Alpin tires. Those are generally very highly rated.

Look at Craigslist. You might want to check this set of Blizzaks in NJ. They are 245/45-17 while stock tires are 235/45-17. I'm sure someone here on the forum will comment as to whether they would fit okay or not. Good price though at $111 each compared to ~$170 each new and IMO would be better tires than the General Altimax Arctic for all around winter use.

snow tires 245/45r17 Bridgestone Blizzac - $111 (Hopatcong,NJ)

Here is another set -- Michelin Michelin Xi3 winter snow tires 235/45R17 for $500... and they are the right size!

4 Michelin Winter Tires - $500 (Paramus)
    Last edited by 15WRBlue; 09-18-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    Ryan
    '15 WRX Premium -- Sunroof, short throw, upgraded lights (SubiSpeed LED DRL boomerang, OLM HID 5000K low-beams, OSRAM 5000K high-beams), TapTurn, STi Wing, 20% Tint
    Other current: '92 Stealth RT/TT, '07 Avalanche LTZ
    Previous: '04 Saab 9-3, '02 WRX, '94 3000GT SL, '91 Eclipse GSX, '82 Porsche 931 (924 turbo), '79 Saab 900T, '81 Mitsubishi Starion, '80 Triumph Spitfire, '74 Saab Sonett III, '72 Opel GT

Literally just bought 07 BBS wheels today. Very good condition. Looking into these tires too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=07+s...79MQ6KpznFM%3A

Thanks everyone for the input. These are the wheels I will be buying.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    If those are 17x8 wheels, then yes those will fit. Also, yes those are good winter tires. I ran them.
    However, let me warn you, they are NOT performance winter tires so don't expect a GREAT dry road performance from them. They do tend to be a little floaty. They're fantastic in rain and snow though.

What is the stock tire size for your WRX? You have to factor in the sidewall size for speedo accuracy.

Tire Size Calculator
    Stock size I believe is 235-40-18

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    If you're in north NJ, I'd question the need for full snow-tires as opposed to performance winter rubber.

235/45/17 will fit well.
    I am in north jersey. Remember all the snow we got 2 and 3 years ago? snowed twice a week, 4+ inches for like 7 weeks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Subie365 View Post
    snowed twice a week, 4+ inches for like 7 weeks!!!!
    Where I'm from... we call that "April"

With all the bats**t insane NY/NJ drivers by you. I wouldn't think twice about getting dedicated winter setup.
    I ran Altimax's back when I lived in MinneSNOWta and they were incredible. But as Jaysin pointed out, the tend to be a bit floaty on try pavement.
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

be careful with General Tires. On my LGT I had Gmax all seasons and they didn't hold up well to potholes in the winter. One I destroyed on a nasty dip in the road doing 45, and another one 2 years later going 15 mph (it was also an extremely cold night) The price is appealing but the quality sure isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffffiooooooooo View Post
    be careful with General Tires. On my LGT I had Gmax all seasons and they didn't hold up well to potholes in the winter. One I destroyed on a nasty dip in the road doing 45, and another one 2 years later going 15 mph (it was also an extremely cold night) The price is appealing but the quality sure isnt.
    If you get new, put road hazard coverage on them. Cost is a lot less than replacing a tire.
    Ryan
    '15 WRX Premium -- Sunroof, short throw, upgraded lights (SubiSpeed LED DRL boomerang, OLM HID 5000K low-beams, OSRAM 5000K high-beams), TapTurn, STi Wing, 20% Tint
    Other current: '92 Stealth RT/TT, '07 Avalanche LTZ
    Previous: '04 Saab 9-3, '02 WRX, '94 3000GT SL, '91 Eclipse GSX, '82 Porsche 931 (924 turbo), '79 Saab 900T, '81 Mitsubishi Starion, '80 Triumph Spitfire, '74 Saab Sonett III, '72 Opel GT

Actually a SuperSpy. Take Care. SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I never buy road coverage. Here's my rationale:

If the tyre is new then I'll only replace one and pay for one. This cost is comparable to road hazard protection for four, that I won't buy.

If the tyre is even a touch older I'll have to buy four. Road hazard would only cover the cost of one.

Therefore I never buy road hazard.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    J’avais été fasciné par le bleu de la mer, le ciel, la fraîcheur intense qui émanait de cet univers voué à la beauté. Yves Saint Laurent
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

When i bought those General tires, I didn't buy them from a tire shop. The garage who did all my service work got them for me but didn't offer a road hazard coverage. Although, I have a wheel and tire road hazard coverage from Subaru good for 5 years/100,000 miles on the stock wheels and tires

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.