Purchasing a WRX ... 2013 or 2015?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Purchasing a WRX ... 2013 or 2015? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum, but I'm sure I found the right forum to ask questions. I am ...

Talking Purchasing a WRX ... 2013 or 2015?

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to this forum, but I'm sure I found the right forum to ask questions.

I am in the market for a Subaru WRX (coming from a Jetta). I live in upstate, NY (where AWD/4x4 is NEEDED) I looked at a 2013 WRX Sedan for 23,999 for 18k miles.
    I also looked at a 2015 WRX Limited MT 26,999 w/ 7,000 miles.

Which is the best one out of the two? I don't have a preference, but is the few extra grand worth it?

* Note I do plan on doing light modifications (exhaust,tune,CAI) etc.

Thank you!
    I hope to hear your opinions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

IMO the 13 would be more mod friendly right now. Although, the price seems a bit high. Really comes down to which exterior styling you prefer(13 to me is more aggressive while the 15 is less so) and the 2.5 engine of the 13 vs. the more efficient 2.0 of the 15. Also, the 13 has the distinctive Subie unequal length header rumble while the 15 does not. As long as both were properly cared for and not abused, can't go wrong with either. Good Luck
    -JB

For those prices I'd be looking at a new 16 or for a hatch.

I'm not sold on the new wrx.
    Pros:
    Better handling
    Better mileage
    New FA seems to love to make lower

Cons:
    Sedan only
    Looks like a camery
    FA is unproven in reliability
    Equal length headers

It seems that subaru has made strides on correcting the issues that plagued the early FA engines, but I for one am glad I got my 14 hatch.

For reference, I have a 14 FXT with 22k miles and after two years it has been back to the dealer for issues more than any of my other Subarus combined.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubieROC View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm new to this forum, but I'm sure I found the right forum to ask questions.

I am in the market for a Subaru WRX (coming from a Jetta). I live in upstate, NY (where AWD/4x4 is NEEDED) I looked at a 2013 WRX Sedan for 23,999 for 18k miles.
    I also looked at a 2015 WRX Limited MT 26,999 w/ 7,000 miles.

Which is the best one out of the two? I don't have a preference, but is the few extra grand worth it?

* Note I do plan on doing light modifications (exhaust,tune,CAI) etc.

Thank you!
    I hope to hear your opinions!

Welcome!
    For the price of those 2 cars, look into new.
    You can get a better sale price then anything used.
    We have our own Club dealer in North NJ.
    I would go test drive both cars to get a feel for them.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Hands down, new.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
    For those prices I'd be looking at a new 16 or for a hatch.

I'm not sold on the new wrx.
    Pros:
    Better handling
    Better mileage
    New FA seems to love to make lower

Cons:
    Sedan only
    Looks like a camery
    FA is unproven in reliability
    Equal length headers

It seems that subaru has made strides on correcting the issues that plagued the early FA engines, but I for one am glad I got my 14 hatch.

For reference, I have a 14 FXT with 22k miles and after two years it has been back to the dealer for issues more than any of my other Subarus combined.
    I wouldn't call ELH a 'con'. No more rumble, but improved efficiency. I'd also argue the Camry comment.
    Keep in mind a new hatch IS coming out if you feel like waiting a year or so.
    An accomplished Systems Administrator - often burdened by his competence!

Current Garage:
    2013 G37x Coupe
    2015 Forester XT Touring

They both perform very well. I think it's going to come down to looks and price. If you want one that just looks weird then get the 2013, and if you want one that looks like an aborted fetus then get the 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I wouldn't call ELH a 'con'. No more rumble, but improved efficiency. I'd also argue the Camry comment.
    Keep in mind a new hatch IS coming out if you feel like waiting a year or so.
    I'll give you the increased efficiency, and ELH is necessary for the twinscroll turbo. The new setup sounds good, but not great IMHO.

I did see a road map that shows a hatch in 2017 as a 2018 model meaning it will be awhile. I doubt many in the market today will be willing to hold out for the new hatch.

The new wrx lost some of its raw and aggressive styling. I'm hoping that subaru gives it a nice refresh next year and maybe a wide body. The 15+ reminds me of the 08-10 wrx. I hated how those years looked so pedestrian.

I can't tell you which way to go... but I'll tell you which way I wen't. I just left a deposit on a new 16 WRX Base Manual. I don't need nor care for bells and whistles cause I usually mod and install aftermarket. I too loved the design of a 14 Hatch, but there are so many upgrades to the Chassis, suspension and the way the car feels. My exact words after driving it were, "I don't even need to drive the STI, this is overkill" It truly is, plus I personally love the new Motor. If you aren't considering the STI at all, just get a new WRX.

P.S. I'll likely trade for the Hatch when it comes out, I also saw the Roadmap and I might get an STI hatch when they release the new motor.

I Support ClubWRX
    I say buy new and if you dont mind a drive to get it you may want to contact Clayton
    Tri-State

When you say update NY not sure if you mean Albany area or higher or western NY
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.