Tint shops in Philly?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tint shops in Philly? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Does anyone know of any reputable shops in philly that do good tint work? I just bought a 15 wrx ...

Tint shops in Philly?

Does anyone know of any reputable shops in philly that do good tint work? I just bought a 15 wrx and want to get a nice tint.

Any help is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nope I'm new to the area but I'm outside of philly let me know if you find one

Quote Originally Posted by Bcon1234 View Post
    Does anyone know of any reputable shops in philly that do good tint work? I just bought a 15 wrx and want to get a nice tint.

Any help is appreciated
    I got my 2006 Scion tC tinted by Ryan Neas at ShadesOfGrayTint.com (located in Feasterville PA) almost 7 years ago. This week, on Monday, I took my '15 WRX to them to get that same love again. They're fast (under an hour) and amazing, backed by a lifetime warranty. You won't be disappointed, and if you stop in, mention my name.

15%

Nice what was the cost.

I Support ClubWRX
    Tint = more police traffic stops.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

It does but it looks so much cleaner. I actually had a cop pull me over and give me a ticket for tint with my 02

I Support ClubWRX
    Do what you will with your cars ...

Put yourself in the place of the cop - imagine approaching a car with tint not being able to see what is going on inside. I'd opt for making their job easier over a cleaner look every time.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Do what you will with your cars ...

Put yourself in the place of the cop - imagine approaching a car with tint not being able to see what is going on inside. I'd opt for making their job easier over a cleaner look every time.
    Love your car! Out of curiosity, have you never tinted the windows since owning it?
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    Love your car! Out of curiosity, have you never tinted the windows since owning it?
    Thank you! I love my 2004 WRX too.

I've never added tint to any car I've owned / driven since 1978. Why?

The plastic film is prone to surface scratches.
    I consider it a sign of vanity (self-absorbed).
    It is an attention magnet to law enforcement.
    I want to keep police off of my tail.
    I do not want to make police nervous if they should approach my car.
    Mods & Pics

I've never added tint to any car I've owned / driven since 1978. Why.
    Simply curious.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

I've never added tint to any car I've owned / driven since 1978. Why?

The plastic film is prone to surface scratches.
    I consider it a sign of vanity (self-absorbed).
    It is an attention magnet to law enforcement.
    I want to keep police off of my tail.
    I do not want to make police nervous if they should approach my car.

I'm withe you Bill.
    In 20 years of driving I've never added tint.
    It just attracts attention, 90% of my friends have been ticketed at least once.
    Periodically a cop will follow me and run my plates.
    When they see the clean record and my age, they back off.
    There a small group of WRX ricers near my house. I call the regulars, regular because the get stopped regularly.
    Every time I see one I laugh.
    But hey they take the attention away from me.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Car Optics at Bustleton and Grant are great. They've done all of my cars.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglegreen View Post
    Nice what was the cost.
    My cost was $180 after taxes, which I would say is fair considering that was the price for my 2dr coupe 2006 tC. I was quoted $200 over the phone but I'm a returning customer.

To me it's worth it since I often park in the city. My understanding is that thieves are more likely to attempt to break in a car if they can easily see the contents without drawing too much attention to themselves. The tint hinders that, the film helps protect the glass from shattering. The tint also protects driver and passengers from harmful UV rays + sun + heat. Also, it's just really attractive. I've driven tinted cars since 2004 ('93 Nissan 300ZX, '06 Scion tC and '15 WRX) and in 10 years I've been ticketed for my tint only once. I've been pulled over for things unrelated to tint and the tint hasn't even come up. Again, Philly cops don't care and many of them have tinted cars as well. I've received compliments on my tint from a cop once on 10th & Arch.

The one ticket I received specifically for my tint came after the cop tried to tag me with every other charge simply for being black and training out of a shopping center parking lot with a bunch of people at 1am. First he tried saying I ran a stop sign in a shopping center, I denied and he moved on to breathalyzer. I beat that and then he ran me for warrants. I have none, so he came back and used a light meter on my 15% tint. Gave me a $126 ticket which I paid when I got home and moved on with my life. In the time since then, I've only been pulled over one time specifically for my tint and in that case the cop was merely curious what my tint level was. He guessed 20% used the light meter and it was 15% and let me go (no warning, no fix-it and no citation). Unrelated to tint, I also got waved passed a DUI checkpoint in Montco while in a tinted vehicle (I have a Police & Fire Federal Credit Union bag I keep in the front seat and I think that's how I avoided that).

This is just anecdotal evidence. My point is, window tint doesn't make you public enemy #1. It's a personal preference, that in some states is legal and other states it's up to interpretation. It's enforcement in PA is wishy washy. Tint is legal if you can see into the cabin with your naked eye (is one statute). PA State Police on their website say anything darker than 70% is illegal. But again, not a misdemeanor or felony, just a citeable code violation. The risk of getting dark tint is obvious and assumed by the owner. Which is why as soon as their red and blues go on, I lower all my windows, turn on cabin lights and turn off my engine once I've pulled over. I live an otherwise legal existence so the occasional (twice in 10.5 year) police stop isn't going to kill me.

Comparison

www.shadesofgraytint.com/
    (267) 984-4845
    Specializing In Window Tinting For Over 20 Years. Feasterville, PA.
    145 B Philmont Ave, Feasterville, PA‎
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 12-21-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: clean up

I Support ClubWRX
    I generally go with 5% below whatever the state law is. I've tinted every vehicle I've owned in the past 10 years using this guidance and never had any issues with the police.
    “Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.” - David Rains Wallace

2015 WRX - Crystal White Pearl
    2014 Forester 2.5i Premium - Dark Grey Metallic

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    PA State Police on their website say anything darker than 70% is illegal.
    70%?!?! That's ridiculous. MD is 35%, so I go 30%.
    “Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.” - David Rains Wallace

2015 WRX - Crystal White Pearl
    2014 Forester 2.5i Premium - Dark Grey Metallic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.