NEED OPINIONS Pro Build back to the shop

This is a discussion on NEED OPINIONS Pro Build back to the shop within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Well didnt want to have to do it but.... Three months ago my sister daily driver 2007 subaru WRX all ...

NEED OPINIONS Pro Build back to the shop

Well didnt want to have to do it but....
    Three months ago my sister daily driver 2007 subaru WRX all stock spun 2 rod bearings the middle 2 so after adding up all the parts and cost we figured the local tuner and build shop (semi close to western pa there aint many) came up with an ok price at least they knew what there doing (i think)(2 months prior we just did a new clutch)

So we had the shop build it up bottom end supposedly good for 600hp new short block the shop did all the work killer bee pick up and baffle manely H beams and bearings new crank forged piston arp bolts and studs all around. And they were supposed to rebuild the turbo

We set it up so if down the road we ever wanted to bump it up to do turbo and injectors we could figured it would handle it. I did always have a slight knock from first build.
    the car has always stored inside not a race car by no means she get on it sometimes but nothing major.
    The subaru put down 285HP on there dyno which aint bad but nothing should ever go wrong with it at that HP

So anyways now 3 months down the road 6k miles its spins number 2 rod after driving 30 miles home from work the less than 2 miles form home it started knocking so it turned out to be the rod bearing went out. The car had tons of boost prior to this. the car just had an oil change with what they recommended with brad penn oil 6 days prior to the second failure.

After fighting with the shop saying its our fault and giving us lame excuses like low oil (i just put 5 qts in it we got 5 qt out)
    And if the car is launched to hard it will suck oil..... so your telling me that on a low hp car that its that powerful.
    So we get to today they calls and say turbo went out and that and cause 1 bearing to go out-so why would that cause a rod bearign to go out when it had all the power in the world and why wouldnt the shaving in the oil not ruin the turbo. Also why is it if a turbo goes out in a big truck train or what not that the bottom end dont go out in them??
    And if it was an oil problem why would only 1 rod go out of it?

Im just tired that such a well known shop is beating us up so bad

ill post pictures of the build sheet and dyno chart its cost nearly $8500 for and engine that lasted 3 months of non race miles
    They ended up blaming it on the turbo and want $5000 to put it back to gather, I can get a 2010 engine with 4k for $4000 but thats not the point

Im just curious on what all of you guys and gals opinions is on the situation. And sorry for the long post but had to get it out
    i want to make sure the people see this to ensure that noone else gets in this situation.
    I dont want to mention the shop untill i get your opinions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	160241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1788.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	160249
    Last edited by neverstopwheelie; 08-06-2014 at 05:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not a happy history but I'm curious about how it all started: the car is a 2007 and was all stock but two bearings failed.

Why?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

well the first time it spun 2 rods because of doing doughnuts and starved of oil but the second time noone know

I Support ClubWRX
    It is still possible then that oil starvation caused the second failure.

Your photobucket links don't work.

In any case consider:
    IMPORTANT:filters in banjo bolts - NASIOC
    and
    Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus
    because it could be something like that. Such an issue would not necessarily be addressed when rebuilding since the mechanic would focus on big ends etc. rather than the above.

Also consider if there was a use pattern or an individual incident that could have caused the failure. The failure happened during your calm drive but what caused it could have been a previous incident.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

well the first time she was doing doughnuts in a wal mart parking lot it sucked oil and bang locked up btu then everything was replaced excepst the turbo that the shop never touched

You didn't want to mention the shop, and yet it's on both pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by joeypants View Post
    You didn't want to mention the shop, and yet it's on both pictures...
    Thanks for pointing it out. i edited it on my phone but it dosent take the raw version on to the computer. So there you go if you wanna know i wouldnt recommenced them