Albany

This is a discussion on Albany within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Over the last few days I have been in discussions with a company that is trying to recruit me. If ...

Albany

Over the last few days I have been in discussions with a company that is trying to recruit me. If I accept a position, I would have to relocate from Rochester to Albany. Are there any Albany residents on here that can offer some insight on what its like living in Albany, the good, the bad and anything else that you would like to share. In the end, going to make the decision that is best for me but I wanted to try and find out all I can from people who live/lived there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I know a little about the area...

At one point, there was a very good Subaru community. It's kinda died off a bit, but there are still some solid members, some of whom I would consider my closest friends now:
    UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club - Index

I'm not a fan of city life, so I don't have any experience with the good/bad places in the city and surrounding ones, but as a general rule, west of Albany is nice (Guilderland is a nice mix). If you move north, there is a lot of stuff in Clifton Park (~15mi north of Albany), but I87 (the Northway) traffic is a royal PITA around the rush hours. Not all that familiar with East and South of Albany.

Before I moved, I was considering Regency Park:
    Guilderland NY Apartments for rent in the Albany, New York area - Regency Park Apartments

~15 min from downtown, ~10 min from Airport. Hadn't gotten a chance to tour one of the units before I got relocated.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I know a little about the area...

At one point, there was a very good Subaru community. It's kinda died off a bit, but there are still some solid members, some of whom I would consider my closest friends now:
    UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club - Index

I'm not a fan of city life, so I don't have any experience with the good/bad places in the city and surrounding ones, but as a general rule, west of Albany is nice (Guilderland is a nice mix). If you move north, there is a lot of stuff in Clifton Park (~15mi north of Albany), but I87 (the Northway) traffic is a royal PITA around the rush hours. Not all that familiar with East and South of Albany.

Before I moved, I was considering Regency Park:
    Guilderland NY Apartments for rent in the Albany, New York area - Regency Park Apartments

~15 min from downtown, ~10 min from Airport. Hadn't gotten a chance to tour one of the units before I got relocated.
    Thank you for the info. Regency Park apartments look reasonable. This will help out when I need to apply to an apartment. Hopefully I can get the company to help pay for some of my moving expenses.

Albany area isn't bad at all just stay away from the cities if at all possible Albany, Watervliet, Cohoes, Troy. Being where I work (911 dispatcher) I hear all the bad stuff that goes on in those areas. Guilderland, Latham, Colonie (where I'm from) and Loudonville are very nice places in the area. Good luck and let us know where you end up.