Trasnplant
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Trasnplant within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Talk to me about upstate New York, Malta in particular. I have a new job, and I'm going to be ...

Trasnplant

Talk to me about upstate New York, Malta in particular. I have a new job, and I'm going to be moving to Malta from Vancouver Washington. It's contract work, so it's not going to be a permanent thing, but I will be there anywhere from 3 to 12 months.

The plan is for me to arrive around March 8th. What are the roads going to be like? I've currently got the stock Dunlop tires on my car, but I'm considering changing them to some all season tires. If I'm still there when winter rolls around next year, I'll spring for some studded snow tires.

What is there to do around there? Any places I should go? Do you guys have any Subie meets?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't think you will find many people local in this area. You will be a lot closer to the folks in New England. New England States
    '14 SWP STI

I'm not from there, but i go there 2 times a year to visit my mother. they get lots of snow, so your dunlops won't do very well till about May.
    Not sure what there is to do there, but check out Saratoga.. Plenty of action going on there during race season.
    There is also a speedway in malta with racing every weekend. I think its a dirt oval track. I think there's a few guys on here from that area.

Good grief. This is the 3rd time I'v replied to this thread, the previous 2 didnt show up. WTF?

Anyway, I'll check out the New England forum, but it doesnt look like it gets much love.

The snow sticks around until May? I found a set of Perelli all season tires on Tirerack, they should get me through the remnants of winter, and handle spring/summer driving well enough.

I know Malta is a pretty small town. What about Albany? There's got to be something worth doing in the state capitol.

So jump start them and get it going. I don't know about albany but it has to be a happenin place.
    '14 SWP STI

I Support ClubWRX
    I lived most of my life there. You'll want to check out the UNYSOC link in my signature. Summer tires usually went on around April break (based on grammar school timeframe).

What do you like to do for fun? Give us some ideas, and I can point you in the right direction.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

From what I've heard, Albany turns into a ghost town on weekends after all the government types go back home.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD514
    From what I've heard, Albany turns into a ghost town on weekends after all the government types go back home.
    Certain areas, yes. Others, not so much.

UNYSOC

I'm mostly interested in seeing the sights. Exploring the back roads. Doing some camping maybe. And of course, it would be nice to meet some fellow subie owners.

Speaking of roads, what is the terrain like over there? In my area we've got Mt. St. Hellens, Mt. Hood and the Columbia Gorge. Not to mention, the Pacific is only 70 miles away. It all adds up to a lot of great roads and some amazing scenery.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Adirondacks has a lot of great roads and scenery!

Jalopnik actually featured a road in your soon-to-be backyard as one of the "Ten Great Driving Roads You've Never Heard Of":
    Ten Great Driving Roads You've Never Heard Of

Camping, there are a lot of state campgrounds which are good. I'd recommend checking out what the state land has to offer in the Adirondacks (slight drive, but worth it):
    DEC Campgrounds - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

To meet locals, as I mentioned earlier, check out the UNYSOC link in my signature.

UNYSOC

Just drove 9N from Saratoga to Ticonderoga. The first leg, to Lake George was ok. I saw a lot of stuff I'm going to have to go back and check out once it warms up. From Lake George to Ticonderoga was more fun even though the road is in crappy condition.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.