Which shop should I go with?

This is a discussion on Which shop should I go with? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; So, I know almost every shop out there at least 1 person will have something bad to say, so I'm ...

Which shop should I go with?

So, I know almost every shop out there at least 1 person will have something bad to say, so I'm not looking for a shop everyone agrees on. Chances are that would be EFI logics though, and they are way out of my price range... so. I have low compression is cyl 4 (most likely cracked piston ring lands, I believe) I want to repair and upgrade my motor to aid in the prevention of this issue again.

I contacted Precision Tuning as they are the closest Subaru shop near by, and I got an estimate, not going to post it, not sure if it's appropriate to post it up here on a forum. Anyone know anything about Precision and have anything to say for them? Never heard anything bad yet so I have my mind in that direction as far as the work goes. Any shops I should get estimates from withtin the 2 hr radius of Bergen County NJ?

Thanks fellow clubdubbers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

John from Akuma is always a pleasure to work with, cant say I have anything bad to say about John or the team over at Akuma.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

I'm pretty sure I will contact them and ask for a written estimate as well. I haven't heard anything bad about Akuma either, and I have heard their name a few times.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Akuma or RT tuning. If you need work on the car check out Flat Four Specialties, only place I fully trust with my car.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Im heading out to Akuma this saturday, ill let you know how it is.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Akuma has a great rep. I know Precision is excellent (few friends who have had full builds done there). I second R/T Tuning like Mark said as well.

Precision being closest is probably the easiest.

Do you want to go built motor? I mean there aren't really "upgrades" so to speak to prevent a cracked ringland. Just good parts, properly assembled really. If you're looking to upgrade, may as well go all out with pistons, rods, bearings, studs, etc....then plan to upgrade the turbo to something nice like a Polka Pickle or a 30R at least.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Of the three offered, my recommendation is Akuma.

John used to tune at Precision, before he was hired by Cobb to be one of their ECU calibrators. After he left Cobb, he went to Akuma.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I see. So far Ive gotten an estimate from Precision, and just emailed to ask for one from flat flour, akuma is next. Also, I plan on upgrading pistons, rods, studs, and a few other things. Not exactly sure til it's all down on paper. Im taking my friend's advice and the tuner's advice. (my friend is the tech I work with, who holds records with supra's, etc. may not know extensive amounts about our motors like the guys at those mentioned shops, but he knows a lot from just being in the industry.

Consider doing a Stroker kit, itll help you with torque which will benefit you more when you run a bigger turbo.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by anpato
    Consider doing a Stroker kit, itll help you with torque which will benefit you more when you run a bigger turbo.
    Meh

UNYSOC

Just got back from Akuma, I was very impressed with the quality of service and craftsmanship. John is wonderful to work with and he gets the job done right and clean. I even got to see him do a couple of dyno tunes and the way he interacts with customers is great. Nothing but praise from me.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by anpato
    Just got back from Akuma, I was very impressed with the quality of service and craftsmanship. John is wonderful to work with and he gets the job done right and clean. I even got to see him do a couple of dyno tunes and the way he interacts with customers is great. Nothing but praise from me.
    While it's a shame we weren't able to work together, I'm glad you were happy with your Akuma experience. John is about the best choice for anyone looking for a tune in NJ, aside from JR (if he tunes out of NJ anymore).

Post up your dyno plot / review in a new thread...
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-24-2013 at 01:55 PM.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    While it's a shame we weren't able to work together, I'm glad you were happy with your Akuma experience. John is about the best choice for anyone looking for a tune in NJ, aside from JR (if he tunes out of NJ anymore).

Post up your dyno plot / review in a new thread...
    I went to get a bung welded on for my wideband sensor
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ