Albany Dealer trying to screw me???

This is a discussion on Albany Dealer trying to screw me??? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hello all. First post here, kind of a noob to Subaru-- all my previous automotive experience has been in restoring ...

Albany Dealer trying to screw me???

Hello all.

First post here, kind of a noob to Subaru-- all my previous automotive experience has been in restoring a 1968 Camaro.

I have an 2008 STi, but it's stock and I've never had time nor funds to do much work on it. Currently 48k miles, never had any problems. Regular maintenance.

So here's the issue: I'm a busy medical student here in Albany NY, and I don't have any local friends with knowledge of reliable Subaru repair shops. I don't have much time or work space to do maintenance myself, so when my power steering belt and alternator belt started wearing thin I had to succumb to a dealer maintenance for the job at Goldstein Subaru on Wolf Rd. I was in and out pretty quickly, and the squealing belt was taken care of (for $130...), BUT when I got a few miles away from the lot, I turned on my A/C and was surprised to hear a loud *clunk*, *rattle,* *rattle,* and of course... no cool air on a nice 95F day.

I immediately called Goldstein, concerned that they had busted my A/C during the repair, which had been performed not 15 minutes before this incident. They agreed to look at it, but couldn't get me in for 2 WEEKS. I left my A/C off and untouched the entire time. I go in to Goldstein... They say the bearing blew in the clutch that controls the A/C compressor. They say it was a COMPLETE coincidence. They deny it having anything at all to do with the replacement of nearby belts not 15 minutes before it happened. They would like to charge me close to $1000 to replace the entire clutch and compressor assembly. I calmly walk out and drive away.

1.) Is this dealer maintenance shop reliable?
    2.) Does their story hold water?
    3.) Does anyone recommend a better local Subaru repair shop in Albany, NY?
    4.) The compressor is right up front, is this a fairly simple job for someone experienced in advanced labor on a classic car? (Seems easy enough on inspection, but I don't have a manual or schematics.)
    5.) Does anyone recommend a place for cheap parts to fix this? (...as I'm already about $200k in debt from school.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site

You're local, so I can shed some insight. First, check out the UNYSOC link in my signature...

Goldstein is notorious for being a somewhat crappy dealership. Capitaland (link) has, in the past, been much better to local owners. It's a bit further of a drive if you live actually in Albany, but it's worth the gas/toll money.

I don't know what you can do about the work that was done and getting it covered, but if you provide receipts for the work done, Capitaland may work with you.

As I said before, check out UNYSOC. It's a pretty tight-knit bunch of members, and there's bound to be someone who may be able to help with a DIY if you're going to be SOL on any kind of remedy through Subaru.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC