The future of the Victory Meet thread

View Poll Results: How should future Victory Meets be held? Only one vote permitted

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make the meet invitation only

2 8.33%
  • Find at least one more lead fun run driver and break up the runs based on turnout

14 58.33%
  • Forego the runs altogether and drive straight to Victory after Marsh Creek

1 4.17%
  • Bouncing C-cup bewbs!

7 29.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on The future of the Victory Meet thread within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; As many of you know the fun runs have gotten too large to safely manage. When the run has more ...

I Support ClubWRX

Post The future of the Victory Meet thread

As many of you know the fun runs have gotten too large to safely manage. When the run has more than ~10 cars, those in the back are forced to drive much too fast to keep up with the train. After every stop sign, I accelerate painfully slow to try to allow the back of the train to keep up. At a certain point this is no longer effective. Devilfluff has traditionally brought up the rear he has told me on several occasions what happens as the runs get longer.

Longtime attendees that drive responsibly are forced to drive too fast. There have been newcomers who choose not to even try using the runs as an exercise in asshattery. There was video of the last (or previous to the last?) fun run posted online that all too clearly demonstrated this.

I have discussed this with fellow members and moderators, as well as the chief of security where I work. He used to be a police chief with a nearby township. I told him the history of the meets and how the fun runs have become a potential liability. I have been advised that as the organizer I could possibly be held responsible. In this lawsuit happy world we find ourselves in, I can no longer take that risk.

When the fun runs were small, Id improvise and try to use different roads each time as there is a lot of great lightly traveled tarmac in this region. Good times Id like to get back to that, but how?

I see three choices - vote for your preference (no multiple choice):

Make the meet invitation only.

Not a great choice as we need new attendees to keep it fresh and relevant. How are we to determine who is worthy, without leaving some desirable longtime attendees out in the cold so to speak?

Find at least one more lead fun run driver and break up the runs based on turnout.

A few of you will need to step up to the plate. Those of you who have been with us since the early days probably know much of the core route already. Routes 401, 282, 345, 23 & 82 makes up much of it.

Forego the runs altogether and drive straight to Victory after Marsh Creek.

This is a nice drive in itself, albeit a short one. Not what I'd prefer - I love hosting the runs.

If I have left other options out, speak up and sound off.

7 years this May we need to keep it going!
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 01-24-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've organized quite a few cruises, and have come to the same conclusion you have. Too many cars ruins the experience, and creates issues. I no longer have public invites to a cruise I organize. While this limits the exposure to new members, and can cause me to miss out on developing a new friendship, I have found that I feel much more comfortable going on cruises with people I know can be responsible. Typically, this number tends to be in the 3-10 car total, range. The list of people I include has exceeded that, so I typically will mix it up on the invite, based on location (there's a wide area that I typically cruise in, and can easily get a group of 5+ people together within an hour).

My advice is to keep your list of attendees small. Limit it to a group of people who will appreciate it, and will act in a responsible manner. If other people choose to make their own up, let them be the responsible party. However, with keeping the same spot, people will show up there expecting to just be "let in" since they're already there. If you go the invite-only route, you'll have to change the meeting venue.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I like the idea of having multiple leaders. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to figure out a decent route, share with the drivers and have them learn it pretty well beforehand...and if they get lost, just set the GPS to victory!
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I'm torn. The jaded pessimist in me says that if it stays as big as it was, there are going to be asshats no matter what we do. Then another voice says, well...maybe.

I dunno, maybe give it another shot as an open meet, this time with several lead drivers, and if there are still problems then consider making it invite only.

That said, even with other lead drivers, what your LE friend said about you as the organizer potentially being liable for anything bad that happens...that is kinda scary.

So to sum up...I have nothing truly constructive, novel, or helpful to add. Carry on.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Id always like to see the community grow but it seems to be growing from enthusiasts to flat brimmed wearing asshats with stanced cars.. im sure that they could be responsible and tag along on the fun run but last year they failed to responsibly follow (as you saw in the video)

I think going from here we should give it one more shot at being a public event and trying to get a big group together and enjoy some brews, scoobs and bewbs. Bring up the asshattery problem at the morning drivers meeting and state that if its anything like it last year this will be a private event. Even private event we still have just as much fun. During this fun run we could have various leaders in the pack, perhaps with radios-or just leaders that know how to get there and the designated route. I believe that will slow the group down and make street crossing situations safer so the leader can drive slow until he sees most cross then the leader behind him cross to accelerate harder.

On another note, Sasquatch im holding a Sly Fox meet, the info has already been posted, but hope to gain more of a view from the leaders perspective to see how to make these runs safer and work better. Hoping for a good turnout but not too big since this is my first meet im holding.

I think if we can get another group leader or two, breaking up the groups is the best option. But that relies on being able to get that regularly. If that is not possible, perhaps you could make just the cruise invitation only, and have an open meet at Victory.
    2000 LGT | 2007 STi

Quote Originally Posted by sti27cbrd View Post
    I think if we can get another group leader or two, breaking up the groups is the best option. But that relies on being able to get that regularly. If that is not possible, perhaps you could make just the cruise invitation only, and have an open meet at Victory.
    thats an idea.. change the meeting location though from marsh creek

Well, there's enough of us forum junkies who go to these meets, I'm sure we can get enough volunteers from the ol' "regulars" to be drive leaders.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    187 views, 5 votes? ??

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Well, there's enough of us forum junkies who go to these meets, I'm sure we can get enough volunteers from the ol' "regulars" to be drive leaders.
    I'd think so, but no volunteers yet?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    Hoping for a good turnout but not too big since this is my first meat im holding.
    really? no one jumped on that?

I volunteer...I kind of did it once already, that time you made a quick left/right. I didn't notice and led the group to victory.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    really? no one jumped on that?

I volunteer...I kind of did it once already, that time you made a quick left/right. I didn't notice and led the group to victory.
    OK then.

Any others?
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    OK then.

Any others?
    I'm down.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I'm down.
    Mods & Pics

Noodles Aren't My Concern twistedphrame's Avatar
    I split my time btwn Atlantic and Warren County NJ
    I Support ClubWRX
    I live a bit too far out of the way for learning the route and being a leader. Of course if mutli-leader meets works out and the route doesn't really change I'd be willing to help out, and if it doesn't work out I could definitely see invite-only being a very viable solution for those of us that play nice.

Well, we have 3 leaders thusfar.

Perhaps we should start the usual date poll thread and see how many people jump on board? We can then judge whether we have enough fun run leaders or not based on that.
    - Will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast