2012 WRX/STI Navigation System

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX/STI Navigation System within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Does anyone local have this? I'm ordering a new 2013 WRX hatch to replace my 2002 WRX Wagon soon and ...

2012 WRX/STI Navigation System

Does anyone local have this? I'm ordering a new 2013 WRX hatch to replace my 2002 WRX Wagon soon and wanted to see if the Nav was worth it or not.

Side question, as anyone added an aftermarket nav and got the steering wheel controls for radio & Bluetooth to work with it?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just get a tomtom, I hear that's what all the kids are using these days.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2012 WRX/STI Navigation System

I have yet to find an OE navigation system that I like when compared to aftermarket solutions. If your main concern is navigation, look at Kenwood units, which uses the Garmin interface, which I've found the most intuitive. For steering wheel controls, you'll need an adapter like Metra. For BT, I'd use the mic included with your new unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phobic
    just get a tomtom, I hear that's what all the kids are using these days.
    Depending on locale and LEO, a window mounted GPS could be grounds for an "obstructed view" citation. Whether it's likely, I doubt it, but it's something to consider.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Pioneer's Nav units are very good. I am a huge fan of them. The maps are simple looking, but I like that. I've had 2 different units in my two different STIs and both were very reliable.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2012 WRX/STI Navigation System

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    Pioneer's Nav units are very good. I am a huge fan of them. The maps are simple looking, but I like that. I've had 2 different units in my two different STIs and both were very reliable.
    I haven't been impressed with them. Grant it, I never played with them outside a store display, but I find Garmin to be more user-friendly. I will say, I run a Pioneer unit in my car (non-navigation) and like it; I use my Droid for navigation.

Moral of the story, anyone considering dropping the kind of coin on an aftermarket H/U should play with the interface and see what works for them.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I had a Pioneer GPS HU in our SUV & I did not like it. It was actually quite terrible compared to our Garmin. I believe Kenwood uses Garmin technology in their HUs.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

That's odd...I've had two lower end Pioneer nav HUs and both work very well...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Reason I ask is because I had the top of the line Pioneer double din headunit before (Z130BT) but the nav let a lot to be desired. everything else worked great. With some research, it seems like the Stock Nav is pioneer based, which is why it is discouraging me from ordering it.

I have a 5" garmin nav which works great so I'll just stick to that. The only reason I wondered about the stock nav was that it included the satellite radio module, so I figured for a little more than what I was going to spend on the XM accessory, I could get nav.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I ordered my 2013 Plasma Blue Pearl WRX Premium Hatch Saturday...so now it's the waiting game.