Anyone rocking a Southbend Clutch near by?

This is a discussion on Anyone rocking a Southbend Clutch near by? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hi all. Just wondering if anyone in the area has a southbend clutch on their 5mt. Wondering how you like ...

Anyone rocking a Southbend Clutch near by?

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone in the area has a southbend clutch on their 5mt. Wondering how you like it.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I had one for a time. It was alright.. a little rough on engagement though. Out of the four different clutches I've ran (Excedy, Southbend Clutch, Spec, ACT) I highly prefer the ACT. Engagement is perfect and smoother than stock while holding considerably more torque.

Good to know. Do you have an 02 - 05? Which one did you go w/?

I'll be going to a SB clutch on a 06+ 5mt trans from an ACT HD Street clutch.

The ACT was a ton heavier than stock. Not good for DD. I felt as though engagement was very smooth.

I'm expecting smooth engagement from the SB w/far less pedal pressure.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

2002 5MT with cryo treated JDM STi gearset and dual cone first gear syncro. I believe it was their stage two clutch that I had. As far as the pressure of the pedal I never noticed much difference in any of them, the main differences were where they would engage and how smooth it was.

If I remember correctly the SB clutch I had did not have much travel. If you call on the floor 100% and foot off the clutch 0% I would say the SB clutch started to grab at 80% and was fully engaged by 90%. Anywhere between there was rough enough to shake the car. My ACT HDSS starts to grab around 40% and is fully engaged around 90% and there is no roughness what so ever. I feel that it gives me more control and it's certainly more predictable, plus the rough chatter of the SB clutch (and the Spec clutch) got annoying almost immediately.

Like I said, I noticed no difference in how "heavy" the pedal felt.. although it's been a long time since I've driven a WRX with a stock clutch. But if you're just wanting to lighten the feel of the pedal maybe look into a helper spring or something instead of switching it out completely.

I usually don't mind the heaviness of the pedal, but I know if I'm stuck in stop and go traffic for a while my knee will start killing me and fill with fluid.. my car just does not like to drive under 20mph.

Been rocking my Southbend stage 2 Endurance (organic feramic) since last summer. It's freaking awesome.
    - compared to an OE 06 WRX Clutch it requires less effort to keep it fully disengaged while sitting at a light. Driving in excess of an hour in stop and go traffic is no longer an issue.
    - compared to the ACT HD, engagement is more immediate and positive. I don't need to move the clutch pedal to go from disengaged to engaged as far. This makes the process of moving from a standstill w/out launching less prone to letting the motor get too far away from the trans before full pressure is applied to the flywheel. 1-2 shift feels more positive too.
    - compared to the ACT HD, there is less clutch shudder.
    - I haven't done many mega autoX launches (since I haven't AutoX'd it since installing the new trans), so this last comparo is still up in the air, but generally speaking, launching seems to be much easier and I have yet to cook the clutch from either letting it slip too much or not engaging too fast. This might change in the future.
    - The clutch will get a little rough when I drive the streets of philly or in other congestion. This is no different than the ACT clutch from what I remember. After driving around more open streets where I can get some smoother, harder engagements, It cleans right up and is smooth once again.

note: I have a franken-trans of sorts. It's been put into an 06 trans case which utilizes a push style clutch instead of the pull style that the 02-05 WRX's used. I did this because I thought the 06+ trans's had lighter clutch pedals than my 02 w/it's stock clutch. If you look at the clutch range for 02-05 on their site, the equivalent stage 2 OFE clutch holds 445 ft-lb vs the 350 ft-lb that my clutch holds. I don't see this as being an issue w/my mildly tuned EJ207, but looking back on my decision, it probably wasn't worth the money to switch trans cases. Plenty of SouthBend customers have commented that their clutch is no firmer than stock and I didn't have issue until I went to the ACT clutch which was brutally heavy. A pull style Stage 2 Endurance could very well be just as light feeling as my stage 2 yet hold significantly more torque.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

Hmm... I guess I could sell mine to someone else then. It doesn't have many miles on it, I just didn't like it because it was harsh on engagement and shuddered all the time.. I figured no one would want to buy it.