Help with winter set up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help with winter set up within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I'm looking into a possible winter suspension/tire set up. I know it's July but I'm looking into this early. I ...

Help with winter set up

I'm looking into a possible winter suspension/tire set up. I know it's July but I'm looking into this early. I have a 2012 wrx hatch and want to be able to raise the car at least an inch from stock if it snows. Are there struts or suspension set ups ? Right now the only struts I've seen that I can get a raise out of is the tanabe's. I know it might sound like a silly idea but I'd really not mind having the car raised an inch or two this winter lol.

Tires : bigger legacy wheel/tires or stock steelies w/Pirelli zero's.. Any other ideas let me know!

If anyone could throw some set up ideas at me please reply.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can't confirm this, but I've heard that forrester suspension will fit under the WRX and raise it some. I don't know what years or anything, but it would be something to look into.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Why on earth would you want to raise the car?

I've driven MUCH lower cars than a WRX during winters as daily drivers, including going through a lot of deep snow, and I've never had a single problem with the ride height other than losing or breaking a few plastic aero pieces under the car.

For wheels and tires, I'd go with a cheap set of alloys from Tirerack. They also offer steelies if you're on a tight budget.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Raising a car above stock height is very unnecessary for snow in south jersey. I hope you realize that you will also need a new alignment twice a year to raise and lower the car. If you wanted to lift it full-time, there are a few ways to achieve that, and I'd recommend checking out dirtyimpreza.com, since a lot of those guys have lifted imprezas for off-roading (if you were doing this to play in the Pine Barrens, it would make a lot more sense to me). I don't know much about lifting a GR other than the spacers that go on your strut tops. Forester suspension is a very common way to lift a GD, but I don't know if that works on a GR.

Taller tires is a reasonable way to get a little extra clearance for just one of your setups, but you'll only be able to go one, maybe two steps before you start to rub the fender liner at full compression.

If you are worried about damage underneath the car, you can also look into a light-duty skid plate setup.

I'll tell you, though, that my underpowered Legacy had zero issues moving from a dead stop in snow that was above the top of my front bumper, and I was on all-seasons. With winter tires, you shouldn't have problems getting anywhere during a South Jersey winter. Your toughest obstacle will be ice, and raising the car will not help.
    2000 LGT | 2007 STi

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    In the past, OBS springs could be used for a mild lift on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Why on earth would you want to raise the car?

I've driven MUCH lower cars than a WRX during winters as daily drivers, including going through a lot of deep snow, and I've never had a single problem with the ride height other than losing or breaking a few plastic aero pieces under the car.

For wheels and tires, I'd go with a cheap set of alloys from Tirerack. They also offer steelies if you're on a tight budget.
    Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean others don't, Scott. I've actually considered putting some OBS springs on my car for a lift.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd second the alignment issue. Just be aware that changing ride height in these cars will change your toe (a decent amount as well I believe). I know in mine just having the new tires in the back caused my toe on both sides to be off by I think .1 or so.

Otherwise, I'd recommend checking out some sites for more information. That dirty impreza site sounds appropriate.

Are there coilovers that raise/lower the car? You may be able to get away with coil overs with adjustable ride height and marking your toe arms to go back and forth between the settings. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Thanks for the replies guys. Lifting the car was just something I wanted to be able to have as an option at all times just encase I wanted/needed to lift. Zax can you tell me more about the OGS springs? I'm not looking to be a monster truck, I just want a bit more ground clearance. I'm the last person that will ever lower my car, it can look nice but I don't see the point especially since you have to use even more caution. If I can find a spring that can give me a little up that would be great . Would prefer something adjustable though. What is the max size tire before I start rubbing fender? Right now I've checked out the general altimax and continentals for snow. And the pirelli and michelins for performance snow

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean others don't, Scott. I've actually considered putting some OBS springs on my car for a lift.
    I'm not questioning whether somebody wants to do it because that's entirely their choice. I'm questioning the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by BigpjiWRX View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Lifting the car was just something I wanted to be able to have as an option at all times just encase I wanted/needed to lift. Zax can you tell me more about the OGS springs? I'm not looking to be a monster truck, I just want a bit more ground clearance. I'm the last person that will ever lower my car, it can look nice but I don't see the point especially since you have to use even more caution. If I can find a spring that can give me a little up that would be great . Would prefer something adjustable though. What is the max size tire before I start rubbing fender? Right now I've checked out the general altimax and continentals for snow. And the pirelli and michelins for performance snow
    I still don't understand why you want to do this. The only thing you've mentioned is snow, and there's absolutely zero reason the car needs to be lifted for traveling in snow. Zero nada none unless you lived in Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Maine, or somewhere like that and were off of main roads on roads that are not plowed much for a large proportion of your driving. In Jersey or anywhere within hundreds of miles there's nowhere that requires or justifies it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    requires or justifies it.
    Im sure most of the mods done by members here and not required or justifiable, especially regarding location, that doesn't stop people from doing them.

There was that one guy, who seemed to have neg rep all the time, who suggested King(?) springs, i think they were. I believe they lifted an inch or so.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Maybe I will just get a skid plate, good snow tires and I heard that a front lip will stiffen the front bumper flex. What tires would you guys recommend ?

front lips tend to be easy to lose/crack in the winter, so you would need to be extra careful. what bumper flex? any flex you get from pushing into it while parking in a snow bank is a good thing to avoid cracking.

in jersey, I would use performance winters. they hold up and perform better on all the dry days. they will be almost as good as full winters in the worst weather, far better than all-seasons.
    2000 LGT | 2007 STi

I'm in South Jersey too...gotta wonder why you want to lift it though? It's a waste of time if you ask me. Winters can get bad in some years here, but I've survived two STIs at their stock ride height and never had a problem. Just a good winter tire setup, and you're good.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Lots of people like blizzaks, ive used dunlop wintersport 3Ds since ive gotten the car and I was going through Snowpacolypse like the ground was dry. Even when the snow was well above my bumper I literally had zero issues.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Has anyone tried the Pirelli sottozeros or the Michelin performance snow tire?

Also, just forget that Im from south jersey. I just wanted to know what subaru owners in Colorado , Montana, alaska modify to there cars for the weather they endure. Do they do coilovers? Lifted springs? Or just snow tires ?

I understand if anyone wants to question why I wanted to do it lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast