Catless emissions in NJ
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Catless emissions in NJ within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Whats up folks...I grew up in NJ, so inspection is nothing new to me there. However, I haven't had a ...

Catless emissions in NJ

Whats up folks...I grew up in NJ, so inspection is nothing new to me there. However, I haven't had a car inspected in NJ in near 7 years since I bought an STI brand new in 2006, which had a 4+ year inspection sticker. I had free reign to go catless without having to worry about it. Then I moved to PA (kept it registered in NJ for awhile under parents' address) so I still didn't have to get it inspected. Sold it before I had to.

That being said, I'm moving back to NJ in the end of June, and will have to change everything back to NJ, including getting it inspected. I have a catless DP to throw on my STI now, and tune obviously. But will I fail inspection due to emissions with a catless DP? I'd love to put it on soon, but will wait so I don't have to take it back off come June.

I'm gonna try and google for some answers, but just wondering if any of you know. Thanks Tri-staters.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I pass OBDII / Visual (NY requirements) with a catless downpipe and VTA EWG.

Shy of a sniffer test, you can usually get away with passing visual (it may cost you a Jackson to the tech)...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I've heard a lot of people saying that a catless dp won't pass in NJ. Hopefully you can find someone else with a similar set up in NJ and see what they did. I'd probably wait until you move back and get it inspected, just to be safe.

IMO though, waiting another 3 months isn't that bad of a wait, I mean you've waited this long already right? If you find someone who has a catless dp in NJ and can confirm that you'll pass, then go for it.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

i passed NJ in dec, full rotated kit with a single hi-flo cat in the rear. Should be no problem for OP to pass as long as no CELs.

Had a few friends pass with catless DPs with no CELs. So far the success stories have been South Brunswick and Bakers Basin. I suppose its a hit or miss but the two stations mentioned have been just checking OBDII and checking CELs.
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB
    Cobb AP Stage 1 - SPT Exhaust - Bayson R Lip - 30% Tints

2006 Honda CBR600RR
    Jardine RT-1 Exhaust - Fender Eliminator - Integrated Front & Rear Signals

2001 Audi TT - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    As long as you pass the visual, have no cels, and your sensors are in a "ready" status you'll get a sticker.

I also called a couple people who stated the same things: as long as no CELs and sensors were "ready" then I should be good to go.

Thanks for the info all!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I also called a couple people who stated the same things: as long as no CELs and sensors were "ready" then I should be good to go.

Thanks for the info all!
    Depending on the inspection station, you may have to pass a visual if they suspect you are catless.

Just flash em some skin, you'll be good to go.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I am in a similar situation, right now I have a catless TBE. The only cat is the stock upipe that is still in there. My plan right now is to put the exhaust back to stock. Then the weekend after, put on a new upipe and either go fully catless, or maybe get a catted DP just to be a little bit nice to the environment.

As far as I know, since NJ stopped the safety inspection and is only checking emissions they just plug in to the OBDII port and verify that the sensors are working. I don't think there is any visual check of anything now.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    As far as I know, since NJ stopped the safety inspection and is only checking emissions they just plug in to the OBDII port and verify that the sensors are working. I don't think there is any visual check of anything now.
    It's discretionary, but the "inspectors" aren't looking to do extra work...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    It's discretionary, but the "inspectors" aren't looking to do extra work...
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't been through inspection in a car in a while now, since they extended the interval on new cars.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

I had the TT inspected 3 weeks ago and they just rolled my car in, plugged in the OBDII, and rolled my car out. Didn't check anything else. I have 30% tints too and didn't get a comment about it at all. I definitely think its at their own discretion now so who would want to do the extra work?
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB
    Cobb AP Stage 1 - SPT Exhaust - Bayson R Lip - 30% Tints

2006 Honda CBR600RR
    Jardine RT-1 Exhaust - Fender Eliminator - Integrated Front & Rear Signals

2001 Audi TT - Sold

Noodles Aren't My Concern twistedphrame's Avatar
    I split my time btwn Atlantic and Warren County NJ
    I Support ClubWRX
    According to the DOT websites, any newer car (1996+ I believe) that has and OBDII will just be checked for codes and no sniffer tests/visuals will be performed, so if you clear the codes you should be good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.