Stock STI not sand capable?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock STI not sand capable? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; so last night around 11 me and 2 other friends were in my 2011 STI sedan, we are in NJ ...

Stock STI not sand capable?

so last night around 11 me and 2 other friends were in my 2011 STI sedan, we are in NJ going down 35 in lavalette, we find a sandy road that runs parallel to the beach, and is the road all the beachfront houses are on. as we drive along, we find a vacant beach-front lot, my idiot friends of course challenge me to drive across the lot, and right up onto the beach. we all expected the car to whip rite across the sand, and sure enough, it did, first time ripped across the vacant lot, down the beach, looped around and back onto the road, went for round 2, and about halfway through, my car gets beached on sand lmao, all 4 tires spinning freely, took us 5 hours (we were stuck until about 4 am) and my friends ford F-150 raptor almost dug itself into a hole getting me out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pics or it didn't happen. Also, pics of said Ford Raptor!?!

sand is tough stuff, especially our beach sand. Particularly because it flows so well against itself, it's pretty easy to dig yourself in ruts and high-center yourself. You say that a raptor, a truck actually built for off-roading was having trouble. Your car is built for the street and light-duty track (and don't say that it's anything at all like those rally cars). The fact that you did that well is a testament to the AWD system.

Curious: what tires were you on?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    Lesson learned: don't listen to your friends.

You're young with a very powerful car. Listening to your friends is an easy way to become another statistic. If that's the case (which I don't wish upon you), hopefully you're one who's able to walk away with everyone unharmed.

/lecture
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-26-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    jeez

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Lesson learned: don't listen to your friends.
    Listen to this & your clutch will thank you.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by djclue8713 View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen. Also, pics of said Ford Raptor!?!
    was too frantic to take pictures, remember im on a private beach that closes at 9, its was 11, and my car was going nowhere, i was too scared a cop was gunna rolll up and screw me over, actually one did come, he luckily let me go with nothing. and yea my 2 closest friends are real into quading and off-roading, ones got an F-150 Raptor, and the other has a 2500 dodge Power Wagon. to be honest power wagon would've been best because of the winch, but the raptor did almost get stuck because of the simple reason that no one has driven on that sand before, its a private beach so only people walk on it

i learned my lesson, as shoved my hand under the side of my car trying to scrape the sand that was holding it in the air out from under it, i burned myself on the exhaust about 20-35 times, my hand is completely raw.

I drove my 05 Frontier with BFG A/T's and a rear locker on the beach in NC. It was a very different experience and I agree you can get into trouble pretty easily. I wouldn't dare take my car on the beach with the summer tire's and low ground clearance.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Driving on sand takes experience. Obviously you nor your friends knows how to do it. Or get somebody out. I would have had that car out in 15 minutes at most by myself. It's all about experience...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

daytona beach is the only beach i would drive on. here is my redline when i was down there.

2011 WRX Limited - Dark Grey Metallic
    [Cobb stage 2 93+ SF Intake] [Invidia Catted DP] [SMY Gauge Cluster w/Boost and Volt Gauges] [Monkeybone Racing Heater Vent Gauge Panel w/Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges]
    [Cobb Heatshield] [Kartboy SS] [Weathertech Floorliners] [Hardwired V1 w/Remote Display] [Complete Aftermarket Audio System] [Lighted WRX fender badges]

The only part of this that's REALLY getting me....is I'd hate to bring a brand new STi Limited, Which it must be if it's the sedan, onto a beach. Sand cannot be good for paint, and I seem to recall something about 2011 subaru's paint being pathetically easy to take off...

Wrangler with some nice fat floaty tires+side tread...that's the way on the beach. Top down, doesn't matter if sand gets inside the thing or on it...Seems like a good time to me

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Driving on sand takes experience. Obviously you nor your friends knows how to do it. Or get somebody out. I would have had that car out in 15 minutes at most by myself. It's all about experience...
    how exactly would you have done that

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by G8toWRXDave View Post
    daytona beach is the only beach i would drive on. here is my redline when i was down there.
    i prefer new smyrna :] more of a challenge. lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    how exactly would you have done that
    First of all, it sounds like you buried it instead of stopping as soon as you started to lose grip. That would have been my first step.

My next step would've been to dig the sand out from in back of all 4 wheels, take out my floor mats and put them behind the wheels, locked the diff, put it in 1st and barely engaged the clutch, then slammed it into reverse really fast and rolled it right out of there.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast