Need some help with 2011 WRX

This is a discussion on Need some help with 2011 WRX within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Im looking to buy a 2011 WRX sedan. Me and my friend went to Subaru yesterday and test drove one. ...

Need some help with 2011 WRX

Im looking to buy a 2011 WRX sedan. Me and my friend went to Subaru yesterday and test drove one. I have a few questions about it. It was the first turbo car i have driven and for some reason the turbo didn't sound rite. It whined like a supercharger would. I have herd turbo cars before and it didn't sound like it should and also the clutch was very gummy you could not feel were it catches of anything. Is this normal? every car i owned is a manual and i never had a clutch feel like a brake pedal that needs to be bled. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Its a big turbocharger and its right up against the firewall. Normal. As far as the clutch feeling "gummy" I dont quite no what you mean. Either way, why would you assume that a brand new 2011 wrx has something wrong with it? Dont you think the dealer knows how its supposed to sound and drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    Its a big turbocharger and its right up against the firewall. Normal. As far as the clutch feeling "gummy" I dont quite no what you mean. Either way, why would you assume that a brand new 2011 wrx has something wrong with it? Dont you think the dealer knows how its supposed to sound and drive?
    idk the clutch was weird you couldnt feel a friction point. i ordered a sedan the one i drove was a hatch so hopefully it's going to be better.

KHP
    Turbo sound is normal.

Clutch has a very narrow point of engagement which you'll get used to the more you drive it.

About the feel of depressing the clutch pedal. Maybe you mean its a little stiffer than normal? I've driven quite a bit of manual cars and my pedal feels like all the other cars (maybe a little stiffer) with the exception of the very narrow and high engagement zone.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

The turbo "whine" is normal. My friend keeps telling me that my car sounds like it has a Kenne Bell on it. It's all normal though. I can feel where my clutch engages, it's not like a real strong feeling, but I know it's there.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

The clutch is "soft" which translates to "easy to drive". Normal.

I have to disagree with the above...the turbos in these cars are very small. They don't need to be as big as in some other cars (like the Evo) because of the 2.5L of displacement (vs 2L in the Evo). The sound you probably heard was the transmission. AWD isn't known for being quiet. Also normal. You can hear the turbo but stock I heard the tranny more than the turbo.

Subarus have their nuances so if you drove a brand new one, it's all normal.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Ohh ok thanks guys!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marks631 View Post
    idk the clutch was weird you couldnt feel a friction point. i ordered a sedan the one i drove was a hatch so hopefully it's going to be better.
    Uh...they are mechanically the same so it shouldnt feel any different. What color did you get?

Uh...they are mechanically the same so it shouldnt feel any different. What color did you get?
    I got it in wrb!

Banned
    Thank goodness. Its the fastest color. Trim/options?

Thank goodness. Its the fastest color. Trim/options?
    its a base but it has a short throw shifter, rubber mats. i get it in 2 weeks

Banned
    Wow seriously? Did you order it or just have them find one from another dealership. 2 week sounds express esp considering the situation in Japan.

Wow seriously? Did you order it or just have them find one from another dealership. 2 week sounds express esp considering the situation in Japan.
    They had a WRB hatch there but i wanted a sedan he said its in transit to the dealership and that its going to be there in 2 weeks! so works for me lol

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Thank goodness. Its the fastest color.
    ROFL! Darn right!
    Clark Tuned | Cobb SRI, DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | STi Group-N Engine Mounts | Plate Relocation | KB F+R Endlinks, Pitch Stop, Shift Knob, F+R Shift Bushings | Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear, Gearbox +Shift | PST Carbon Driveshaft | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Yakima Roof Rack + Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview