Where can I get my short shifter/bushings installed around Pittsburgh?

This is a discussion on Where can I get my short shifter/bushings installed around Pittsburgh? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I know..I know... I should do it myself. But it's cold outside, I have no garage and no way to ...

Where can I get my short shifter/bushings installed around Pittsburgh?

I know..I know... I should do it myself. But it's cold outside, I have no garage and no way to lift my car up.

So.......when my '11 WRX arrives next week, I want to get my MODE Short Shifter and Kartboy bushings (front/rear) installed. Where around Pittsburgh is a good place to get that done? What should I expect to pay for someone to do something that I'm too lazy to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Try to find a local member with a heated garage. I would expect to pay a case of moderately priced beer.

I Support ClubWRX
    The shifter is done completely from inside the cabin. The weather shouldn't be a factor.

Bushings, on the other hand, do require getting under the car. If it were me, I'd install the lever in the dealership parking lot, and then find a local owner to install the bushings with you. It'll be cheap (a 6-/12-pack of good microbrew would be a sufficient exchange), and you might gain a friend or cruising buddy out of it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'd do it but no heated garage. the shifter isnt that hard only thing thats annoying is the C clip removal, but I just pulled out some ****ty plyers and a die grinder and made my own tool.

bushings arent that hard, little of a ***** to get the stock front bushing out but after that it's a breeze
    1998 Neon R/T - 178whp all motor
    2010 Impreza WRX - Torqued Performance Stage 2

I installed the short shifter day two...the effing C clip is why i have a scratch on the plastic by my shifter . Still haven't done anything with the bushings yet... by the time it's warm, I'll probably just attempt to install it myself.

scratch on the plastic? I cant see how you did that when you completely remove the shifter surround to get it out.

Yes...scratch on the plastic. It either happened when I followed the guide that told me how to take the surround off was wrong... or after 30 minutes of fighting with the C-clip and being tired and angry and not very careful putting it back in. Either way, it's really small but definitely there

that blows.

I keep telling myself Im going to open a shop that does installs for customers that bring their own parts. brakes, aftermarket, etc etc. along with renting bays and tools for people to do their own work and bays with no lifts so people can wash their cars in the winter because touchless washes still suck

Quote Originally Posted by The1SloR/T View Post
    .....along with renting bays and tools for people to do their own work and bays with no lifts so people can wash their cars in the winter because touchless washes still suck
    DO IT! I think ALL THE TIME how nice it would be to have an indoor place that I could hand wash my car in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonlp View Post
    DO IT! I think ALL THE TIME how nice it would be to have an indoor place that I could hand wash my car in the winter.
    Insurance is ridiculous on something like that.
    $10/hr for a bay with a hose, I'd pay that all day long in the winter to bucket wash

Quote Originally Posted by The1SloR/T View Post
    that blows.

I keep telling myself Im going to open a shop that does installs for customers that bring their own parts. brakes, aftermarket, etc etc. along with renting bays and tools for people to do their own work and bays with no lifts so people can wash their cars in the winter because touchless washes still suck
    great idea in principle, but you will never be able to get insurance on a place like that with random customers using the lifts, jacking up their cars, and using rented tools.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonlp View Post
    Yes...scratch on the plastic. It either happened when I followed the guide that told me how to take the surround off was wrong... or after 30 minutes of fighting with the C-clip and being tired and angry and not very careful putting it back in. Either way, it's really small but definitely there
    if you are extremely concered about the scratch, and i would be on a brand new car, you can purchase a new shift lever bezel for $56.62 according to my parts database. its part #92122FG050. dont do the bushings until it gets warmer. if you lived closer to me, we could install them on both of our cars in my driveway and then share a 12 pack! oh well
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    great idea in principle, but you will never be able to get insurance on a place like that with random customers using the lifts, jacking up their cars, and using rented tools.
    theres a huge shop down in virginia that does this and makes a killing from what I seen.
    you can get insurance, but damn would it be expensive. obviously there would be a ASE mechanic on duty to lift the car for you or do inspections/emissions

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    if you are extremely concered about the scratch, and i would be on a brand new car, you can purchase a new shift lever bezel for $56.62 according to my parts database. its part #92122FG050.
    Wow. I figured it would cost more than that, so I just tried to make myself accept it and not be bothered by it. For $60, the peace of mind is worth it.

i think the price i quoted you was the right part. the pictures i my parts database sucks, but you were talking about the plastic bezel that runs along the ouside of the shifter area, that holds the boot in place right? i would call a parts dept at a dealership just to confirm.

interior plastic is usually pretty cheap on our cars. its the high end cars that are really expensive. i had to replace a center console bin on a lexus LS430 because of a vandalism, and it was over $2000. i guess thats what happens when you cover a center console bin with wood veneer and leather.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now