looking to do some small mods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on looking to do some small mods within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; was looking at cold air intake and maybe cat back exhaust, any recommendations, new to all this. Also does it ...

looking to do some small mods

was looking at cold air intake and maybe cat back exhaust, any recommendations, new to all this. Also does it need to be tuned if I do those mods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1231.jpg   IMG_1232.jpg   IMG_1234.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

definitely dont need one for the catback, and im almost positive you dont need one for the intake. What year/model do you have?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    definitely dont need one for the catback, and im almost positive you dont need one for the intake. What year/model do you have?

I have a 2011 wrx wagon in white, it's my first subaru and i love it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Please take a look at this thread: First Modifications - what to do and not to do

It will answer all your questions...

In short, skip the cold air intake, a nice drop-in air filter will do fine, and adds a bit more turbo noise if you want more of that. The catback by itself won't do much more power-wise than give you that nice boxer burble. A turbo-back (new exhaust all the way from the turbo outlet to the exhaust tip) will make a considerable upgrade in power, but requires a tune (like an Accessport). There are lots of downpipes, mid-sections, and cat backs to choose from, or you can buy the whole shebang, like Cobb.

I recommend just buying an Accessport or Tactrix cable first, then trying a Stage 1 engine map, then go from there. You should easily be able to find one or the other for the price of a CAI and cat back.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thank you for the response. I'm just worried if I do a turbo back it might not pass NY state emissions, is it easy to follow on how to use an accessport and tune the car.

COBB AP is extremely user friendly and the customer support is top-notch. To answer your original questions, cold air intake will require a tune on your car, and as others have said, is really not necessary. Cat-back, no tune and only a sound improvement, you won't see any improvement in power. A turbo back exhaust will fail NY inspection, so that is something to think about. I have an AP and running their stage 1 tune... big difference over stock. I Will be looking for a custom tune for "stage 2" though because the OTS tune leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by trelfaz View Post
    Thank you for the response. I'm just worried if I do a turbo back it might not pass NY state emissions, is it easy to follow on how to use an accessport and tune the car.
    Tried to add to my response but getting errors. I was going to add that a turbo back exhaust will not pass NY inspection because it eliminates a catalytic converter, so that is something to think about.

so if I get an AP and run stage one and put in a drop in filter I will see and improvement in some power over stock. Not looking to go over the top just more noise and power.
    i appreciate all the help, its very helpful.

so if I get an AP and run stage one and put in a drop in filter I will see and improvement in some power over stock. Not looking to go over the top just more noise and power.
    i appreciate all the help.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by trelfaz View Post
    i appreciate all the help.
    Yes, you will hear more turbo noise, your turbo will spool a little bit sooner, and you will feel a significant power increase, but the biggest change I noticed with the stage 1 AP was a much smoother power curve across all RPMs. You lose some of the 3500 rpm turbo punch in stock mode for better power everywhere. I can actually pass people in 5 gear now, lol.

I would try this first and see what you think. You will still pass emissions checks, you won't be out too much money, and you can easily undo everything if you don't like it. Also, you can remove the intake silencer to get more induction and wastegate noise. There are lots of write ups on it, and its easy to do, just search for a guide.

FYI, Cobb does make a catted TBE. It passes emissions in Oregon, but you could call them and see what they say about NY standards.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Yes, you will hear more turbo noise, your turbo will spool a little bit sooner, and you will feel a significant power increase, but the biggest change I noticed with the stage 1 AP was a much smoother power curve across all RPMs. You lose some of the 3500 rpm turbo punch in stock mode for better power everywhere. I can actually pass people in 5 gear now, lol.

I would try this first and see what you think. You will still pass emissions checks, you won't be out too much money, and you can easily undo everything if you don't like it. Also, you can remove the intake silencer to get more induction and wastegate noise. There are lots of write ups on it, and its easy to do, just search for a guide.

FYI, Cobb does make a catted TBE. It passes emissions in Oregon, but you could call them and see what they say about NY standards.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I'm going to try that when the spring comes around, I can't wait thanks again. Gonna look on how to remove intake silencer, does that take away your warranty

Removing the intake silencer will do nothing to your warranty unless somehow they can prove it was the source of the warranty item.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Getting an AccessPort and AEM intake has shown awesome gains. Adding a cat-back on top of that really just changes the exhaust sound (i.e., makes it louder).

I have the Perrin cat-back (well, tbe actually) and every single day I find myself loving it even more. It's the best exhaust I've had on any car ever. I would recommend that over anything else if you want to hear the exhaust more. It's gorgeous sounding.

Go check out Cobb's site and the maps have PDF's with info: cobb . wrx accessport . map listing
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Thank you for all the info can't wait to try the AP stage 1

Just an fyi OP, the '11s don't have the intake silencer, so don't bother looking around for that.

From what I have read recently also too, the new AEM intake was supposedly designed to be like an OE replacement and is the same tubing size so the amount of metered air coming in stays the same and AEM states that you aren't required to get a tune. I read that somewhere on here, but I forget exactly where.

IMO you should just go with a dry drop in filter and a good CBE, no tune required and you'll get great sound out of it. As far as the AP goes, I would hold off for now. You wouldn't want to be denied a warranty claim if something goes wrong.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast