summer tires or winter tires?

This is a discussion on summer tires or winter tires? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; My stock summer tires are almost to the point where I need new ones, but with the temperature kinda sitting ...

summer tires or winter tires?

My stock summer tires are almost to the point where I need new ones, but with the temperature kinda sitting in the 50s(40s for my morning commute) I'm not sure whether to buy new summers or just get winters and wait. I've read about the 45 degree range to switch over, but the way the weather is, you never know.

Which tires would you buy if you lived north of philly?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you plan to have summer/winter setups, then get winter tires now. If you plan to only have one set, you'll need an A/S tire.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you plan to have summer/winter setups, then get winter tires now. If you plan to only have one set, you'll need an A/S tire.
    This.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the confirm
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)

switching around 45F is because most summers become noticeably more slippery when it is 40F out, even after the tires are warm. winters are usually pretty good up to about 60F, especially performance winters, which are plenty of winter tire in our area.
    2000 LGT | 2007 STi

I've had winters (nokian hakkapelliita 5) on my car since I bought it in september (they came with the car) - and I can tell you, that was a bad idea while it was still summery.

It was to the point where, when it was still hot out, my car had better traction when it started to rain (because the rain cooled the tires down a little). Now that it's getting colder, my tires are in good shape. Around here, I would think that mid-late october is a good switchoff point.

From there until spring, you should run exclusively winter or a/s tires. The rest of the year, you should run exclusively summer or a/s tires. If you have summers, switch to winters now. If you have winters, you can hold off (but if they need replacing, replace them), and if you have a/s, you have a choice to make.

Basically, either buy winters now and buy summers before next spring, or buy a/s now and keep them.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I bought winters from tire rack yesterday, should be here tomorrow or thursday
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    I bought winters from tire rack yesterday, should be here tomorrow or thursday
    What'd you pick up?

Now you can save up splurge on a good set of summers when the spring is coming
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

i got dunlop winter sports...they worked really well for me last year (minus clipping my curb coming through small break in the ice wall in front of my driveway) hence only selling 2 tires for 17s lol
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

I see you've already made a decision, but just wanted to add my $.02.

The stock 09 summer tires are great in the summer time, but abysmal in anything more than a bit of slush below 40įF.

I'm running Hankook W300's on the stock wheels for winter, and the stock summer SP Sport01's on Rota G-Force 17x8's for the rest of the year.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Good decision on the Dunlops. I've used those on many cars now and will never buy a different brand as long as I'm alive and they keep making em.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading