2002 wrx, dont know what to do
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx, dont know what to do within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; i have a 2002 wrx, i have a cat back, cold air and a manual boost controller on it, i ...

2002 wrx, dont know what to do

i have a 2002 wrx, i have a cat back, cold air and a manual boost controller on it, i am wondering where i should go next for horsepower, i am looking for mods on the cheaper side.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    do you have a tune for your boost controller?

1) get rid of your catted uppipe asap & replace it w/ a catless one.
    2) turboback exhaust
    3) tune

First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

happy reading.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

You have a CAI - do you have a tune? If not, take it off now and wait until you can get a tune (might make sense to do at the same time as stage 2?)

The MBC - why do you have it? If it was on the suggestion of your tuner, go ahead - otherwise, why do you have it? It's not like it will make more boost for you.

First thing is to replace the uppipe and take off that CAI if it's not tuned. Then do stage2+cai+tune in the second step. From then, it makes much more sense to do things like brakes and suspension.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

no my car is not tuned, i took off the mbc a week ago, it kept over boosting so i decided to take it off, and its really that bad to have a cai, i have an air to fuel mixture gauge and ts running ideal.

recommend a cobb acess port?

I Support ClubWRX
    Some cai need a custom tune because they throw off your af ratio. Which one do you have?

The Ap is a good tool but it's not the best choice. A custom tune from someone in your area would be a better idea

desiree

Quote Originally Posted by coreymarch44 View Post
    i have a 2002 wrx, i have a cat back, cold air and a manual boost controller on it, i am wondering where i should go next for horsepower, i am looking for mods on the cheaper side.
    sorry but cheap is not going to work. you dont have power mods for under $200. anyways...

1. CAI is for sound. your stock box can handle 300hp easy. buy an elbow delete or just remove the snorkel.
    2. down-pipe and up-pipe replacement will cost you roughly $500-600 for cheap combo. i have a ERZ/CNT catted DP, and an invidia UP. $330+$140+about $50-100 in gaskets you'll spend.
    3. these mods will require you to get a tune. road tunes range from $100-250 depending on tuner. protunes on a dyno will go $300+ although only places i know are like $400.

after that you are looking at $$. bigger turbo for the 2.0, along with injectors and intercooler... you can pump out 275-300hp at the wheels.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
    3. these mods will require you to get a tune. road tunes range from $100-250 depending on tuner. protunes on a dyno will go $300+ although only places i know are like $400.
    not true. you can run a TBE on a bugeye without a tune, however it's HIGHLY highly recommended if you want to see the most gains possible.

desiree

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    not true. you can run a TBE on a bugeye without a tune, however it's HIGHLY highly recommended if you want to see the most gains possible.
    sorry. i should have not used the word required. i think i was tired. but the bugeyes can run untune but 1. you wont harness the power of the mods, so waste of money really 2. as wrxtreme said it is highly recommended as you are changing major flow characteristics of your turbo

thanks for all of the help guys, well now i am waiting to see if my car gets totaled or not because i hit a deer on a back road the other day.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post

The MBC - why do you have it? If it was on the suggestion of your tuner, go ahead - otherwise, why do you have it? It's not like it will make more boost for you.
    Umm....that's exactly what it does.

Back in the day here, you could gut your uppipe, buy a cheap Ebay TBE and MBC, set the boost at 16psi and run all day long with a bugeye. For a few hundred dollars you were looking at about a 50bhp gain.

The problem with a MBC is that with higher boost, all it takes is a bad tank of gas to ruin your motor and your day. It is best to leave the ECU in the loop so the knock sensors can do their thing and take out timing if it starts to detonate.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is"

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HampsterW View Post
    The problem with a MBC is that with higher boost, all it takes is a bad tank of gas to ruin your motor and your day. It is best to leave the ECU in the loop so the knock sensors can do their thing and take out timing if it starts to detonate.
    The ECU can still pull timing with an MBC.

cars getting fixed , going to buy an up and down pipe and then go get it tuned at a place called r/t tunning, any recommendations on a type of down/ up pipe or does it not matter?

Quote Originally Posted by coreymarch44 View Post
    cars getting fixed , going to buy an up and down pipe and then go get it tuned at a place called r/t tunning, any recommendations on a type of down/ up pipe or does it not matter?
    i went with ERZ/CNT catted DP and invidia UP
    whatever works for you really

never heard of this r/t tuning but be careful because there are bad tuners out there. EFI logics is one of the best in the country and its not too far. (in CT)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast