Anybody willing to take me for a ride come fall in State College?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Anybody willing to take me for a ride come fall in State College? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey all, Last semester up at school, signed my job offer and set my start date late December, and finally ...

I Support ClubWRX

Anybody willing to take me for a ride come fall in State College?

Hey all,

Last semester up at school, signed my job offer and set my start date late December, and finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

That being said, I plan on moving from my 98 Safari van to an STi or comparable car. I have never actually rode in one, just done reading and watched videos really. I don't have much manual experience - I can get around in one, not smoothly. I don't trust myself to get a feel for the car on a test drive, and was wondering if anybody up in State College would take me for a passenger ride while I am up at school this fall. I'd grab a case of beer for you or whatnot while we are out =P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The Impreza is one of the easiest manual trans cars to get the hang of.
    And I'm sure someone here will be able to make you pee a little when the time comes
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, I'd rather just buy my own to risk wearing it down a bit. Learned for about an hour in a slick (light rain, warm day) school campus parking lot with a couple hills. Went well. His first gear is all sorts of screwed up though. Mustang had a lot of work done to it, and he said you really just have to jam 1st gear in pretty hard. I kept pushing it in and not realizing it wasn't "in". I think he got it fixed up finally, but that was really my only issue. I'd just repeat the whole clutch routine.

Also didn't realize after talking to my old swim coach who found us that I should probably put the car in neutral instead of holding down the brake/clutch until my left leg slipped from the clutch =P.

All in all, not bad experience. I'm more looking for the pants peeing part. Need to see if I'm happy with it as a fun but drivable daily. Most of what I drive is 30 minutes of fairly fun back roads every morning, so I think this is right up my alley after driving my caddy and astro. It'll be a nice change to feel road bumps when I go over them.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I'd give you a ride in mine, but it's only a 2005. Oh, and I'm 3000 miles away.

Seriously though, I hope someone takes you up on this. If not, hit up the dealers. You are going to be buying one, it's only fair you get to test drive one. Don't be shy about it. Go test drive a few other used cars with manuals to get warmed up.

you might have a problem getting the dealership to let u test drive one. and if they do let you test drive it, have them order you one. you dont want a car everyone who wanted to was taking for joyrides before it was properly broken in. (im asuming your looking to buy a 2011.)

but yea, i learned how on my subie and only killed it once when i first started. deff really easy trannys to learn on.
    bugeye mafia #232
    World Rally Blue 2002 WRX Stage 2 290 awhp
    my mods

I just have a wrx, but I have two friends with sti's-- an 04 with a protune and EWG, and an 09 at stage 2. Ill mention this to them and see if theres something we would want to do/see in the area while were up there. Im in northern MD so I think were only a few hours away. Ive ridden in both their cars and theyre both very quick, handle great, and Id say theyre both very skilled drivers.

Oh and just for the vote of confidence, I learned stick when I was about 16 but the car I had for two years prior to getting my wrx in march was auto. I was driving smooth again after about a day or two-- its very simple to get the hang of whether its your first time or coming back after a long break. The wrx is the best manual trans car Ive ever owned for sure.
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks all.

I wouldn't want to have anybody drive up here just to give me a joy ride, but I do appreciate the thought. Unless you guys come up to see a game, I wouldn't bother. Games involve excruciating parking costs too just a heads up ($60 a weekend near campus). People are nuts about them - rightfully so I guess

If anybody hears anything let me know.

I honestly don't think I'd have a problem getting around, but I really would still not be able to get a good feel for the car over any other car in a near comparison. I think I'd need a good bit of manual experience to get a real good feel of it. As of now all I have drove is that mustang GT with a XXX clutch and YYY flywheel and ZZZ shifter mods. Yeah, it did put my Safari van to shame

We'll see, I still have until February to find a ride. I can always see if anybody around Pittsburgh would be up for it after school - would just be in the middle of the winter.
    2011 STi Build Log

If your going from a safari van to a wrx or sti it will feel like an awd guided missle to you...lol my last car was a 08 V8 mountianeer and it was a huge change for me... the gearboxes are easy to drive, yet very notchy and sloppy. I learned on a 73 super beetle so I learned my way around the weirdness of it...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Price is right View Post
    but yea, i learned how on my subie and only killed it once when i first started. deff really easy trannys to learn on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    The Impreza is one of the easiest manual trans cars to get the hang of.)

you guys really think so?? I would disagree. The WRXs have heavy long-throw clutches, clunky gearboxes, and visceral, necksnapping driveline lash. I would say compared to the Mazda 626 on which I learned to drive stick, the WRX is a major PITA
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, not worried about really the learning part. I know that I'm not going to be able to compare any cars considered (STi, and uhh, still working) on my manual driving experience. The only thing I will learn about the car is what it looks like and if I messed up while on the test drive.

I really just want to go for a passenger ride in one to see if it is what I want. Not really to learn a manual. Wouldn't be bad to get some more experience so I can get it out of the parking lot without looking like a clown, but really just want a good ride or two.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    you guys really think so?? I would disagree. The WRXs have heavy long-throw clutches, clunky gearboxes, and visceral, necksnapping driveline lash. I would say compared to the Mazda 626 on which I learned to drive stick, the WRX is a major PITA
    +1

The shifting difference between a WRX and my VW or my buddy's Honda is tremendous.

The GTI shifts like butter with a flick of the wrist, while my WRX required work & skill on every gear change. No laziness was accepted.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    y'all need to quitcha bich'n...

try driving this!

1st to 2nd is like 3ft, and the clutch almost takes 2 feet to depress.. (3600lb pressure plate)
    Rogan o_0

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    y'all need to quitcha bich'n...

try driving this!

that must be when your transmission ISN'T blown-up huh Rick
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

that must be when your transmission ISN'T blown-up huh Rick
    true dat!
    oh, I've got it all fixed up now. shifts like buttah, and no more vibrations..
    The vibration issue was a minor oversight on my part
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX
    true dat!
    oh, I've got it all fixed up now. shifts like buttah, and no more vibrations..
    The vibration issue was a minor oversight on my part
    Miss a bolt or something?

Drove one of these w/ manual trans and manual steering for years
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast