Install in NNJ

This is a discussion on Install in NNJ within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I am looking to get these parts installed. (downpipe, uppipe, catback) I got all new parts including new gaskets. Looking ...

Install in NNJ

I am looking to get these parts installed. (downpipe, uppipe, catback) I got all new parts including new gaskets.

Looking for any recommendations as in shops or private mechanics. I am in North East NJ. Always willing to make a drive if price/quality is worth it.

Also anyone know of good road tunes for less?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i know a good mechanic in greenwood lake ny not too far from bergen county maybe a 30 minute drive. he put my uppipe and turboback on. has his own shop too.

how much did you pay? got info on the shop?

i know the owner personally the name of the shop is greenwood lake automotive. it's just your normal everyday shop. it was $100 for the uppipe $50 for the catback and i think it was between $50 and $80 for the downpipe it was a while ago so i don't remember the exact price. he would probably charge u a little more like i said before he's a friend of mine

Two good Subaru shops I know of just outside the city...

AZP Installs in Kenilworth. They do great work, have excellent customer service, and very reasonable install prices.

http://azpinstalls.com/

There is also Broken Motorsports in Union City. They have lots of happy customers, and are also nicely priced.

http://www.brokenmotorsports.com/
    2000 LGT | 2007 STi

both asking for 300. which would you recommend of the two?

I Support ClubWRX
    What year is your car? If you don't mind driving here and taking part in the install, shoot me a PM. All said and done, it would be well less than $300...
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-29-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I personally use AZP because I track my car with a couple of the guys from there, but I wouldn't hesitate going to either shop for this type of work. Broken has built a lot of Subarus, too.

honestly, the downpipe and catback are really quite easy, depending on how stuck your bolts are. a can of PB blaster will make your life much easier, and you'll want a way to run to a parts store for different bolts if none were supplied or the ones they gave you don't quite work, which is to be expected with many exhausts except the most expensive or the occasional good luck.

if it were me (and I suck as a mechanic), I would install the turboback myself (with the help of another sucky mechanic), and take it somewhere that could do the uppipe and tune.

I can't help you on the tune side of things because I won't entrust my car to a tuning shop without road racing experience, since I track my car a lot. I'm sure there are decent tuners who can do it inexpensively, but I'm not willing to try any to find out if they are good or not.
    2000 LGT | 2007 STi

thing is the TBE would come off anyways to do the up-pipe. seems like a waste to end up doing two installs separately.

i'm still deciding on which route to take. personally i think $300 is steep for something i think will take 2 hours or so on my car.

how difficult is the up-pipe install? i have a mechanic friend but he does mostly general maintenance to light auto work. i have no doubt the TBE would not be much of a problem for him
    Last edited by jxkim; 07-29-2010 at 06:13 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jxkim
    thing is the TBE would come off anyways to do the up-pipe. seems like a waste to end up doing two installs separately.

i'm still deciding on which route to take. personally i think $300 is steep for something i think will take 2 hours or so on my car.

how difficult is the up-pipe install? i have a mechanic friend but he does mostly general maintenance to light auto work. i have no doubt the TBE would not be much of a problem for him
    By no means is an uppipe install difficult, but it is a PITA.

A 7 year old car that has spent its life in the rust belt will not take 2 hours for an uppipe install (not sure the history of your car); sorry, just ain't happening. It normally takes me 4 hours or so (longer with stubborn/rusty hardware) with a bunch of BSing during the install.

Expect to make an afternoon (possibly into the evening) of it, especially if it's your first time.

I'm not sure what the labor rate is in NNJ, but here it's $85+/hr, so a flat-rate $300 install isn't a bad price.

If you've got a mechanic friend in NNJ, just tackle the job yourself. If you have weekends off, do it one weekend with him. Buy the food/beer for the install, and have fun with it.
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-29-2010 at 06:46 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
    oh, I didn't realize that. I agree that would be a waste. told you I was a crappy mechanic

and I can attest that older cars that have spent their life in the rust belt are even worse to work on, especially if the spend most of their time outside. I ended up with a tap and die set just to replace my LGT's plastic undertray with a skidplate because everything was so rusty. I bent two ball joint forks without ever getting my LBJ loose, and it was during that wheel bearing replacement where I broke a bunch of stuff and ended up with a big driveway ornament.

if you've got a mechanic friend, the full install shouldn't be bad, but line up your tune for shortly thereafter if you need to continue driving your car. just be careful not to let the turbo hang by the hard oil feed lines like most joe schmoes do, or you'll end up with a cracked turbo line. that's how i figured out my STi wasn't always on the stock turbo when we were replacing my oil line and there was a compression fitting hiding the original crack...that and they broke one of the bolts and just left it that way. it actually managed to last for almost 40k before finally giving up.
    Last edited by sti27cbrd; 07-29-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    2000 LGT | 2007 STi

following up...

went to AZP. not happy. felt like i was being hustled. after another failed follow up and wasting my money...

i went to the shop CT. cars running great now. mechanic there was upset he had to fix their screwup =/

sorry to hear that. it was with the up-pipe and turboback install? how did they screw it up?
    2000 LGT | 2007 STi

on the way home there was what i thought to be an up-pipe leak. when i brought it back the 2nd time i waited about 3-4 hours before my car got on the lift. then they were too lazy to take off the up-pipe to inspect. instead they made assumptions telling me the flex joint was bad and leaking. they super hulked tightened the up-pipe bolts since one was kind of loose. (which gave the shop ct a ***** of a time taking it off) anyways turned out to be a bad gasket that popped. they used the supplied cheapo gaskets, and as the paid installers i would think they should have at the least offered/recommended to use better gaskets. well after i paid 315 for the first day, they offer to fix the problem for 550 with a new uppipe. i was like woah... thats some f-ed up math. i left and ended up buying a new up-pipe w/o a flex joint (which wasn't the problem), and brought it to the shop ct.

my car hit fuel cut because of overboosting (existing problem). after the 1st day's install and test drive, they took the CEL code it throws which is the wastegate code. and look it online and told me i have a bad wastegate/turbo and that i most likely need to be replace my turbo. another bad assumption. because turned out the shop ct fixed it. was 2 bad/leaking boost line hoses going to the boost control. a fix that cost me $0. first thing the shop ct looked at was the boost control which now even to me as a noob makes sense.

felt like i was being hustled by a bunch of shadetree mechanics
    Last edited by jxkim; 08-23-2010 at 12:06 PM.