Tires?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tires? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; So I read through the Tires section looking for threads about winter tires in the Tri-State area, but there weren't ...

Tires?

So I read through the Tires section looking for threads about winter tires in the Tri-State area, but there weren't too many threads, so:

South Jersey, South Eastern PA, DE - what kind of tires do you guys run in the winter? Full winter, all seasons?

This summer was pretty mild, so I'm thinking we might get another winter like we had 2-3 years ago.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

high-performance winters is what i use. all-seasons suck in the icy slush that we usually get, but continental conti-extremes have one of the better patterns for snow out there from what I tried. full winters are too soft for every day driving in the warmer parts of winter. the high-performance winters are nice, since they hold up better on dry pavement (and handle better), but still have plenty of sipes for very low traction surfaces.
    2000 LGT | 2007 STi

I Support ClubWRX
    I use M&S(mud & snow) rated all-season tires.

I used Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S on my bugeye for winter
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    M & S all season for the winter here - Falken Ziex ZE912.

This would not work well for deeper snow and ice. My employer does not have us come in if the weather is that bad.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I have General Altimax Artic's on my stockers for the winter time.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    I use M&S(mud & snow) rated all-season tires.

I used Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S on my bugeye for winter
    Same here, but I think they have discontinued P-Zero Nero in 16". Check Tirerack.com for more choices.
    An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an ‘Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order’ sign, just ‘Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.’ - Mitch Hedberg

i just got new set of shoes put on my baby yesterday (Falken ZIEX ZE502) and they are pretty sweet. they are rated great M&S, im totally going to put that into use up here in NEPA. nice comfi ride though.
    MANNY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #134

https://www.facebook.com/L1G3R

2007 WRB WRX TR, Stage 2.5, SPT Intake, Full Invidia 3" Exhaust w/ N1, ISC Coilovers, 17x8 RPF1 w/ Hankook VENTUS V4, DIY Engine Grounding.

Dunlop Wintersport 3D.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Bridgestone RE-01r for deep snow and ice....
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

^^^ just kidding, lol

I use Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 Winter Performance tires in 225/45/17 on my stock rims (but soon to be on a set of dark bronze 17x8 (48 offset) Rota Boost rims, cause the stockers got to go )

I run RE-01r summer tires in 245/40/17 on matte graphite silver 17x8 (48 offset) OZ Racing Ultraleggera rims the rest of the year
    Last edited by Pavia; 11-07-2009 at 04:34 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Vez
    My winter combo is the stock wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, 225/45/17. I've never had any problems, whatsoever, since putting them on (had them for 3 winters). I have zero complaints about them.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I know I'm not a AWD guy like yourselves, but w/ my FWD MSP I've been running Toyo Proxes 4 A/S tires, on my second set now. I've been pretty impressed with them in the light slush/sleet/snow crap we get about 99% of the time when foul weather hits..and I'm not with the traction you guys are getting either with the extra drive wheels. A couple years back I was 45 miles from home during a rather bad storm & made it home with no problems....and noted 5 other cars (SUVs mostly) that were spun around & off the road....good enough for me to purchase a second set of them. when I'm fortunate enough to purchase a second set of rims, I will run these as my dedicated winter set & a set of summer-only stickies in the warmer months.
    03 Mazdaspeed Protege
    Currently:
    Custom SRI, Custom FMIC with HKS SSQV, GHL 3" down & midpipe with hi-flo cat, stock boost on Garrett T-25, crossdrilled & slotted rotors w/ stainless steel brakelines, Custom projector headlights w/ CCFL rings & LEDs, Reverse cowl CF hood, Prosport boost & water temp gauges, AWR motor mounts, NGK Powerdex Wideband O2, ....still more to come....

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Dunlop Wintersport 3D.
    I heard good things about those.

I go i409 on EDM wheels in 225/45R17. If you have a dedicated summer setup, it would be foolish to not get true snows.

(Plus my Suby sees almost more dirt than pavement. So deep snows work for me. I swap them on sometimes in the summer for SnG's.)
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

I'm looking to throw some winter rubber on the stock wheels this year. Then going to be getting a new set of wheels to put the stock rubber back on for the summer.

I know I don't need a "true" ice and snow winter tire for this area, but just HOW much worse is a cheap (~100$) tire, like the Altimax, versus the Sport 3Ds? I'd save about $200 or so, it looks like.

Also, is it possible to have the tire shop take out the TPMS from the stock wheels to put into my summer wheels ? If I have to drive around with a light, I'd obviously like to minimize how many months out of the year it's on...
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    My winter combo is the stock wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, 225/45/17. I've never had any problems, whatsoever, since putting them on (had them for 3 winters). I have zero complaints about them.
    Good to hear! I just had mine delivered today.

Currently running with eco tires that had come with the car... they're terrible. Can't stand when people cheap out on tires.
    2003 WRX Midnight Black Pearl

My Pics: Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast