Are you getting all the gasoline you paid for in PA? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

This is a discussion on Are you getting all the gasoline you paid for in PA? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally Posted by sti27cbrd that is particularly amusing considering how many more times i have heard of this being a ...

  1. #16
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by sti27cbrd View Post
    that is particularly amusing considering how many more times i have heard of this being a problem in NJ than other places around here. it only takes a few stations to make a problem more well-known, but i have heard of so many of them from jersey.
    NJ's environmental regulations are MUCH stricter than PA's. Plus, I'd assume with the population density here, more people=more cars=more gas stations=more leaks? Makes sense to me at least
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Simply saying if they only test 5 gallons to be 5 gallons, how do they know that that relationship pertains to the range of volumes being dispensed. I.e. who is to say that with a digital interface you might not be getting 8 gallons when 9 is pumped but 5 gallons when 5 is pumped. Seems like this would be easy to test by dispensing random amounts prior to measuring out the 5 gallons, not starting at 0 each time. My impression was they do not do that though. In OR they tested 5 gallons and 10 gallons (still sub-optimal IMO).
    I would imagine that the volume scales linearly regardless of total volume pumped. Therefore it could be off by a percent. As far as the margin of error of 5 cubic inches out of 5 total gallons, that would be 0.4%. Not too shabby actually.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

  4. #18
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,067
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    I would imagine that the volume scales linearly regardless of total volume pumped. Therefore it could be off by a percent. As far as the margin of error of 5 cubic inches out of 5 total gallons, that would be 0.4%. Not too shabby actually.
    Why would a linear scale be needed if only the total for a 0-5 gallon pull is used to test it and it is a digital interface?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  5. #19
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Why would a linear scale be needed if only the total for a 0-5 gallon pull is used to test it and it is a digital interface?
    Maybe I misunderstood your first question, but I don't see what you're getting at here...

    What you're saying, is that the miscalibration isn't necessarily an issue with the pump, but that the computer could be rigged to count up faster at 5+ gallons than the actual amount being dispensed?
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

  6. #20
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,157
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Simply saying if they only test 5 gallons to be 5 gallons, how do they know that that relationship pertains to the range of volumes being dispensed. I.e. who is to say that with a digital interface you might not be getting 8 gallons when 9 is pumped but 5 gallons when 5 is pumped. Seems like this would be easy to test by dispensing random amounts prior to measuring out the 5 gallons, not starting at 0 each time. My impression was they do not do that though. In OR they tested 5 gallons and 10 gallons (still sub-optimal IMO).
    Ah, got it.

    As I just found out the 5 gallon test is the standard in PA.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  7. #21
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,067
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood your first question, but I don't see what you're getting at here...

    What you're saying, is that the miscalibration isn't necessarily an issue with the pump, but that the computer could be rigged to count up faster at 5+ gallons than the actual amount being dispensed?
    Ding, yes. It only has to be accurate at one single point. It isn't even testing the relationship across 0-5 (i.e at 3 you could hypothetically get 2.5).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  8. #22
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    991
    Well then, in that case I suppose if you're running a gas station in PA, all you have to do is make sure you can pass the 5 gallon test. After that you can inflate your pump volumes as much as you think you can get away with!
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

  9. #23
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    991
    In case anyone's interested..

    A fuel dispenser salesman from Dresser Wayne (one of the major manufacturers in the business) came in to our office last week to talk to us about their products... and touched on the calibration testing.

    What I got from it, is that there isn't as much electronics involved in the pump/dispenser counter. There's a physical unit in there that counts the gallons pumped, and that relays the information to the mechanical or digital display on the front. So at least the products that we were shown, there isn't any way to "program" anything that would change after 5 gallons.
    Last edited by elwray; 01-11-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: caught typo after six months :-x
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

  10. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    No.

  11. #25
    Registered User elwray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by hol4 View Post
    No.
    No.... to what?
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    No.... to what?
    oops, sorry this response was supposed to go to another thread. my bad.

  13. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4
    Interesting post!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •