Emissions pass?...PA drivers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Emissions pass?...PA drivers within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Does anyone from pennsylvania know if my 2004 wrx will pass emissions tests with a catted dp and catless uppipe? ...

Emissions pass?...PA drivers

Does anyone from pennsylvania know if my 2004 wrx will pass emissions tests with a catted dp and catless uppipe? Dont want to make the purchase if its gonna cost me more in the long run to pass emissions (im learning to hate the environment even tho i love the outdoors haha) anyone with any knowledge pertaining to this..please help!! thanks alot

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't request information about a shop that will illegally pass you on a public forum - if the shop is going to help you out, the last thing you'd want is for them to lose their inspection license because that information was freely available.

Losing their inspection license will kill their business - I wouldn't take my car to a shop that was shady enough to not be able to inspect cars in my state
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

sorry dumbass you mistook the question and ur not from PA anyway so shut up. I was asking if anyone has these mods done on their car and if they had any problems passing inspection/emissions testing. I dont need someone to "illegally" pass my car. Thanks for trying to be an ass but you completely took my post the wrong way. Think before you respond

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark04rex View Post
    sorry dumbass you mistook the question and ur not from PA anyway so shut up. I was asking if anyone has these mods done on their car and if they had any problems passing inspection/emissions testing. I dont need someone to "illegally" pass my car. Thanks for trying to be an ass but you completely took my post the wrong way. Think before you respond
    Flame on

Removal of an emission control device (e.g., catalytic converter) violates EPA Clean Air Act 203(a)(3)(b) (you can view the law here).

Any shop that passes you with an aftermarket downpipe/uppipe is illegally passing you, and can lose their right to inspect cars in your state.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-13-2009 at 05:01 PM.

UNYSOC

oooooo...haha sorry bout that. I had no idea that aftermarket downpipe/uppipes were illegal. I guess it doesnt matter if its catted or not? DAMN! well guess more "research" into this problem will have to be done. Thanks...seriously this time

I Support ClubWRX
    oooooo...haha sorry bout that. I had no idea that aftermarket downpipe/uppipes were illegal. I guess it doesnt matter if its catted or not? DAMN! well guess more "research" into this problem will have to be done. Thanks...seriously this time
    Apology accepted.

There's a reason that on every site that sells aftermarket pipes there's a disclaimer stating "off-road use only"

My post was not an attack at you. It was simply a "suggestion" to prevent a shop who is willing to help the owners of modified cars keep their vehicles on the road from losing their license, and thus, screwing those car owners in your area from a connection.

UNYSOC

right right, thats what i kinda meant when i said more research on the situation. Im gonna have to find a couple tuners around the area and get their take on things.

Vez
    Actually...

In PA, all you need to do is pass emissions. For an exhaust to be legal, you need to pass emissions and pass a dB test, but the dB test is not actually done. As long as you are okay with emissions, it doesn't matter what UP/DP you have. Make sure you don't have the CEL on, you should be fine. I have a catted DP (catless stock UP and a N1 race CBE) which is the only cat I have in my exhaust. With it and no other modifications, I pass emissions fine. I believe visual inspections are county specific and I don't know of any that do them, but I'm not 100% on that.

I've heard that it's law that you need to have as many cats in your current exhaust as it did from the factory, but I have never found anything to validate this claim. In the link idipskoalmint provided, it seemed that the removal of a cat was prohibited if done before the "ultimate purcahser" (I loved that term. lol) I still didn't see anything about The Ultimate Purcahser doing it. Did I miss it?
    Last edited by Vez; 04-13-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I Support ClubWRX
    sorry dumbass you mistook the question and ur not from PA anyway so shut up.
    This kind of insulting language is not welcome on our forum. Nothing has been said to you that would warrant this.

Please take a moment to read our rules, by clicking on our FAQ link at the top left of the page. We're a friendly forum. Please help us to keep it that way.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

my apologies raysfield, i mistook the comment as a verbal attack on me but was obviously wrong. It was uncalled for on my part, and wont occur again. Sorry buddy

I Support ClubWRX
    No sweat. A lot of people have come here from other forums, where the attitude is more hostile, or they may not be used to forums at all, so we try to understand. People are fairly blunt with their answers here..it can take some getting used to.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

so as im taking it now, as long as i have all the cats to pass emissions all should be well. Am i mistaken with this conception? I was planning on replacing my dp with an aftermarket catted one that wouldnt change the fact that i still have a front cat so i believe it will still pass emissions. Not to mention most stations in the area are pretty low budget lol. Gotta love the sticks

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez
    Actually...

In PA, all you need to do is pass emissions. For an exhaust to be legal, you need to pass emissions and pass a dB test, but the dB test is not actually done. As long as you are okay with emissions, it doesn't matter what UP/DP you have. Make sure you don't have the CEL on, you should be fine. I have a catted DP (catless stock UP and a N1 race CBE) which is the only cat I have in my exhaust. With it and no other modifications, I pass emissions fine. I believe visual inspections are county specific and I don't know of any that do them, but I'm not 100% on that.

I've heard that it's law that you need to have as many cats in your current exhaust as it did from the factory, but I have never found anything to validate this claim. In the link idipskoalmint provided, it seemed that the removal of a cat was prohibited if done before the "ultimate purcahser" (I loved that term. lol) I still didn't see anything about The Ultimate Purcahser doing it. Did I miss it?
    Unfortunately, the person in possession of the illegal car (removed cats) can be fined for the violation, even if they weren't the ones who performed the modification.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark04rex
    so as im taking it now, as long as i have all the cats to pass emissions all should be well. Am i mistaken with this conception? I was planning on replacing my dp with an aftermarket catted one that wouldnt change the fact that i still have a front cat so i believe it will still pass emissions. Not to mention most stations in the area are pretty low budget lol. Gotta love the sticks
    A "catted" exhaust is still illegal because it's a high-flow cat. A HFC does not clean the exhaust like an OEM cat (which is why they still provide the increase in power output), so it's still illegal. Even the Perrin 2-piece DP with dual HFCs is still illegal. The fact that Subaru put a pre-cat in the 2.0L WRXs is asinine, and was a design flaw. The removal of the UP cat is a modification which SHOULD be done on all '02-'05 WRXs, for the risk of engine (turbo) damage. Unfortunately, it's an illegal modification, and you're SOL if you were ever to get caught for doing the modification.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-13-2009 at 05:35 PM.

UNYSOC

thank u for clarifying that for me...greatly appreciated. I think I'm willing to take that chance. Can always throw the stock dp on if it really comes to that which i doubt it will but just in case

just buy one how many people in pa have a catless down pipe raise the hand me i have one get some one you know to pass i and thne if a cop ever goes under ur car to look just say u just got it no big deal/
    Blobeye Syndicate #004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast