Emissions pass?...PA drivers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Emissions pass?...PA drivers within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; If you have the OBD2 test, and not the dyno test, you will pass with a STG2 flash. I passed ...

If you have the OBD2 test, and not the dyno test, you will pass with a STG2 flash.
    I passed a lot of Subarus with no cats. It's not my job to check for cats. I am required to check the gas cap and perform the OBD test. 1995 and prior, I am responsible to do a visual inspection and make sure all components APPEAR to be there, APPEAR to be hooked up correctly, and APPEAR to work. It is not my job to actually made sure they are not gutted cats, BBs in the EGR hose, etc etc etc.
    It's mostly all in PA for emissions. They only do it for Federal Highway money.

- indytruckboy - PENDOT certified emissions inspector
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by indytruckboy View Post
    It's mostly all in ALL STATES for emissions.
    Fixed it for ya!
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by indytruckboy View Post
    If you have the OBD2 test, and not the dyno test, you will pass with a STG2 flash.
    I passed a lot of Subarus with no cats. It's not my job to check for cats. I am required to check the gas cap and perform the OBD test. 1995 and prior, I am responsible to do a visual inspection and make sure all components APPEAR to be there, APPEAR to be hooked up correctly, and APPEAR to work. It is not my job to actually made sure they are not gutted cats, BBs in the EGR hose, etc etc etc.
    It's mostly all in PA for emissions. They only do it for Federal Highway money.

- indytruckboy - PENDOT certified emissions inspector
    Thanks for posting, answered some questions I had as well too. I was under the impression it was visual inspections for many counties in PA.

Vez
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Unfortunately, the person in possession of the illegal car (removed cats) can be fined for the violation, even if they weren't the ones who performed the modification.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but can you please show me this law. I still can't find where removing cats as the end user (or driving a car with removed cats) is actually illegal. From everything I've found, all that matters is that it passes inspection. When people refer to removing cats as being illegal, I believe it's inferred that your vehicle will no longer be able to pass inspection as a result of having no cat, which is illegal, not the act of removing the cat. The way I read your link, changing the amount of cats only applies to everyone involved prior to sale. Even if an ilegally modded car was purchased, from what I read, it wouldn't matter since the sale was made and therefore would no longer be an issue.

I've heard other things that were commonly accepted as law but were common belief perpetuated by word of mouth and I wonder if this is one of those things... More insight and a reference would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Vez; 04-16-2009 at 06:51 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but can you please show me this law. I still can't find where removing cats as the end user (or driving a car with removed cats) is actually illegal.
    See post 4
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but can you please show me this law. I still can't find where removing cats as the end user (or driving a car with removed cats) is actually illegal. From everything I've found, all that matters is that it passes inspection. When people refer to removing cats as being illegal, I believe it's inferred that your vehicle will no longer be able to pass inspection as a result of having no cat, which is illegal, not the act of removing the cat. The way I read your link, changing the amount of cats only applies to everyone involved prior to sale. Even if an ilegally modded car was purchased, from what I read, it wouldn't matter since the sale was made and therefore would no longer be an issue.

I've heard other things that were commonly accepted as law but were common belief perpetuated by word of mouth and I wonder if this is one of those things... More insight and a reference would be appreciated.
    ""WARNING: In the U.S.A. or Canada, federal law makes it illegal for ANYONE to tamper with, disconnect, remove or otherwise render inoperative ANY automotive emissions related control device. In general, the entire fuel system and all its individual components (including the EFI ECU) are considered 'emissions related control devices'. The penalties for tampering can be substantial. A violation may make you liable for a fine of $2,500 or even more!""

I'll have my friend in law enforcement double check this for you, but I'm pretty sure this is dead on.

Well I have catless DP so when september comes around I will let ya know what happens...lol! I know from experience my focus used to pass and it had no cats at all....

I am not from PA - I live in DE & know a decide amount of people running catless (not just Subies) in PA - I know 1 guy w/ 96 Civic (715 horse @ the wheels) so insane (I know its no Subie but I like all cars - Subies are my fav I own 2) - I was w/ him not 2 long ago (about 6 months ago) & we were pulled over on Rt 1 in PA - the state cop gave if his ticket & was on his way - I really don't think a cop would check & for that matter even know what 2 look 4 (most but not all) - I mean how many cops do you see crawling under a car or open the hood unless looking for drugs or something. Again, I know I'm not from PA but as long as u r not throwing any codes - I think you should pass - but I do know if you know the right people you can get it thru - but that should be between u & the shop ONLY & should NOT BE POSTED on any forum. So, I don't know if that helps or not. But thats what I have learned or seen over the years. But there r no guarantees u may do all the work that u want & BOOM u r the 1 that gets caught - So u have 2 decide if u want to take that risk or not. I have an 06 catless but I don't have 2 go back thru DE Inspection 4 another 2 years. Thats when my issues w/ start.
    Last edited by crazycracker; 04-16-2009 at 11:27 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycracker View Post
    I am not from PA - I live in DE & know a decide amount of people running catless (not just Subies) in PA - I know 1 guy w/ 96 Civic (715 horse @ the wheels) so insane (I know its no Subie but I like all cars - Subies are my fav I own 2) - I was w/ him not 2 long ago (about 6 months ago) & we were pulled over on Rt 1 in PA - the state cop gave if his ticket & was on his way - I really don't think a cop would check & for that matter even know what 2 look 4 (most but not all) - I mean how many cops do you see crawling under a car or open the hood unless looking for drugs or something. Again, I know I'm not from PA but as long as u r not throwing any codes - I think you should pass - but I do know if you know the right people you can get it thru - but that should be between u & the shop ONLY & should not be POSTED on any forum. So, I don't know if that helps or not. but thats what I have learned or seen or the years.

The only place I've ever heard of a cop checking was in California.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Before I bought my exhaust I talked to my local dealer. I've dealt with the same guy for years and he's my center of knowledge on what I can and can't do. They tend to be a more mod-friendly shop though, so I'll preface what I know with "ask the shop you're going to".

I was told that in order to pass inspection I need to have at least 1 cat via visual inspection and no codes. That's it. As was already stated, it's not their job to determine if the cat is gutted or even high flow for that matter. In fact, according to the DEP website, in my county they're only required to run codes and check my gas cap.

I can also speak a little bit to emissions in PA because I work with diesel generators and heavy equipment. Although emissions standards aren't the same for passenger cars, they are still handled the same. Emissions control is handled by different entities depending on what county and even what municipality you're in. Even though there are federal regulations, policing is still at the local level so depending on who you talk to, the interpretation and enforcement of regulations vary.

Lots of good info right here... PA DEP I/M - Welcome to Drive Clean PA! - Pennsylvania's Vehicle Emission Testing Program
    Last edited by Ying; 04-16-2009 at 12:22 PM.

well i know someone that will pass your car with no cat and check engine light on lol let me know if you want me to give you his number , you live fairly close to me

I also believe that in PA with one cat you will be fine. I only have one cat (in the up-pipe), from the turbo back is catless. I had an inspection performed on the car in January and it passed the emissions just fine. Like was stated before, they checked the gas cap and did the OBD check and everything was fine. They did not even look under the hood or at the exhaust. My inspection was done in Berks County if you need any shop info, drop me a message and I will get you the number.
    Wicked Effects
    Blobeye Syndicate #108

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark04rex View Post
    so as im taking it now, as long as i have all the cats to pass emissions all should be well. Am i mistaken with this conception? I was planning on replacing my dp with an aftermarket catted one that wouldnt change the fact that i still have a front cat so i believe it will still pass emissions. Not to mention most stations in the area are pretty low budget lol. Gotta love the sticks

let me know how it goes.....and what shop you go to....i'm in the york area myself....and i;ll need someone to....don't know if you have check out csbs(? i think that is what it is called) in a nut shell it is a evo/sti/evo tuning shop on the corner of 30 and hills road...they have a butt load of sti's and evos out front...i went in there not to long ago...nice shop nice people and they have a awd dyno.....$200 for an hour of dyno time....and $400 for a dyno tune....if you ever want to roll around pm me and let me know

off topic....i notice alot of harrisburg/york people chiming in here....whens the meet?
    Last edited by effingturbo; 05-27-2009 at 11:23 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by effingturbo View Post
    let me know how it goes.....and what shop you go to....i'm in the york area myself....and i;ll need someone to....don't know if you have check out csbs(? i think that is what it is called) in a nut shell it is a evo/sti/evo tuning shop on the corner of 30 and hills road...they have a butt load of sti's and evos out front...i went in there not to long ago...nice shop nice people and they have a awd dyno.....$200 for an hour of dyno time....and $400 for a dyno tune....if you ever want to roll around pm me and let me know
    CBRD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast