crank pully tool?

This is a discussion on crank pully tool? within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Fellas, does anyone have the special crank pulley removal tool that is required/recommended for removing the crank pulley? I'm trying ...

crank pully tool?

Fellas, does anyone have the special crank pulley removal tool that is required/recommended for removing the crank pulley? I'm trying to find out if I can borrow it before I buy it. It's Kent-more P/N 499977300A. Here it is: Subaru Service Tools - Part Details

I need it for a timing belt replacement. I know people have done the job without it, but if I'm going to dedicate the time to do it myself, I would rather go into the job with the right tools rather than half way through the job find out that I can't get the pulley off or tightened back to spec.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Neil, set the parking brake good and tight and put the transmission into 5th gear. With the transmission in 5th, there is no way you are going to turnover the motor. I've done it, it works.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Wait a sec...

OK, got it. Great idea JR! My only restraint is, why didn't the mech at the suby dealer suggest that?
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I put a breaker bar and socket on the bolt. Bar on the driverside at the ground, and bump the starter. Mechanics trick. Been doing it for years.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

That's an interesting one as well... kinda like a reverse ipact wrench. do you make sure the breaker bar is snug up against your subframe of do you let it get a inch or so running start?
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    That's an interesting one as well... kinda like a reverse ipact wrench. do you make sure the breaker bar is snug up against your subframe of do you let it get a inch or so running start?
    Put it against the floor. And remeber to just bump. Don't let the motor start.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

I used JR's technique. Park + 5th gear + cheater bar got the job done. I did nto use the cam pulley holder tool. I used a couple heavy duty clamps to keep the belt in place after i got it started.

It took me roughly 12 hours which included replacing the water pump. If I had to do it again, I doubt it would take me that long. Most of the time spent was just me dotting my i's and crossing my t's. There was some swearing and wrench throwing that took place when it came time to remove the water pump and when I had to put the new belt in place, but other than that, it wasn't that bad.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.