Modified Exhaust Ticket in Phoenixville!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Modified Exhaust Ticket in Phoenixville! within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I searched and found nothing that provides information on this particular ticket in Pennsylvania; I was specifically told it was ...

Vez

Modified Exhaust Ticket in Phoenixville!

I searched and found nothing that provides information on this particular ticket in Pennsylvania; I was specifically told it was not a DOT Driving Violation...

What happened: I got a ticket for having a modified exhaust. I wasn't driving like a jerk nor was I revving my engine...just tooling along on my way to lunch.

Written on the ticket: "The defendant did create unreasonable noise by having a modified muffler/exhaust on his vehicle." It's listed as "Disorderly Conduct." No fines were listed since it wasn't a traffic ticket, and I was told that the fine is decided by the judge. He also wrote the judges number on the ticket and said I had to call. I asked about sending it in and he said I had to do that too. When I asked, why then do I have to call the judge, he replied I can do whatever.

I politely informed him that according to DOT specifications, my car is well within the acceptable noise limits. He then told me it wasn't a traffic ticket and has nothing to do with PA Driving Laws. He said that it's illegal to modify my exhaust. I countered (very politely) by saying that once you replace a defective muffler, you then modified your exhaust so that couldn't be illegal. He followed by changing his explanation to that you can't modify your exhaust to make it louder. I asked about the Harley that drove by that was 4x louder than my car... He said, that since that was how it was made, it's okay. So, it wasn't that my car was too loud, it was that it was louder than my stock muffler ...like this guy has a clue how loud my car is compared to a stock STI and say even if he is a Subie expert, how is it legal for him to say it's "louder" when no measurements were taken and he has no control to provide contrast? Is his opinion enforcable? It seems like this is just his opnion and has no supporting evidence. I told him it was no louder than my stock exhaust and I could prove it. He said go ahead and prove it. Doesn't burden of proof fall on HIS shoulders? Innocent until proven guilty. I'm not in direct violation of any law. His opinion is that my car is louder, without any proof that what he's saying is correct, can I really get fined for this?

I plan on making some comparrison videos and proving him wrong in court, but I shouldn't have to. Without any quantifiable instrumentation, how can he say that he knows it IS louder than stock?

Does anyone have any suggestions or -helpful- comments in regard to this, specifically in Pennsylvania?
    Last edited by Vez; 10-24-2008 at 11:56 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know the laws in PA, but I do know them in NY

According to 375.31 of NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law:
    Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device.

No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.

An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling it into the atmosphere.
    Now, your argument for defective parts is valid, except that there are certain exhausts that are deemed "OEM-replacement", and they're the only ones that are legal (outside of OEM, of course).

Out of curiosity, which CBE are you running?

A "disorderly conduct" ticket should be relatively cheap. Expect $100-200 if it doesn't get dropped (not that I know anything about getting a DO citation ).
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-24-2008 at 02:08 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

That sucks, Vez. Best of luck with the whole deal. I'm sure if you do fight it they will most likely drop it. Make sure you have enough info in court to make it not worth their while

Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    Doesn't burden of proof fall on HIS shoulders? Innocent until proven guilty. I'm not in direct violation of any law. His opinion is that my car is louder, without any proof that what he's saying is correct, can I really get fined for this?
    He doesn't have to prove anything, this isn't court. He can cite you for anything, even for being black on a friday night.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am good friends with an ex police chief who happens to be the head of security for the organization I work for. I will check with him - I am sure he will offer some good info. PM me as much info as you can.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    He can cite you for anything, even for being black on a friday night.
    I was once cited for that. Luckily it was Saturday night so I got out of it.

Vez, go fight it. If the judge asks why it was modified, tell him that your last muffler rusted out due to the car being a limited edition and not being driven often. It had water that pooled in the exhaust over the winter and it rusted out, you bought an aftermarket exhaust since it was more cost effective.

This one has me curious as to why he pulled you over to begin with so I have a few questions.

Was it a local police officer?
    Were you speeding at all?
    Are your windows tinted?
    Do you drive through this same area all the time? If yes
    Have you ever misbehaved in this area before?

I know of a few people who have been pulled over and given obscure tickets like yours.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rexbro View Post
    I know of a few people who have been pulled over and given obscure tickets like yours.
    Disorderly conduct is a B.S. ticket. I got one for running home drunk in the winter with no pants on once. Complete BS.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    Disorderly conduct is a B.S. ticket. I got one for running home drunk in the winter with no pants on once. Complete BS.
    If you weren't going commando through the neighborhood that was a bs ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by rexbro View Post
    If you weren't going commando through the neighborhood that was a bs ticket.
    He did have his night vision goggles on.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mbs627
    Pissing on a cop car when you're drunk gets you public indecency and disorderly conduct - just letting you all know

UNYSOC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Pissing on a cop car when you're drunk gets you public indecency and disorderly conduct - just letting you all know
    I got public indecency dropped! Thank you, Hanes! Your extra length wife beaters are the bomb!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mbs627
    I got public indecency dropped! Thank you, Hanes! Your extra length wife beaters are the bomb!
    I wasn't so lucky ...

Got another DOC for using a fake ID in front of a plain-clothes cop (he was next in line at the convenience store)

I can compare stories with you all night

UNYSOC

this type of tickets sucks. Your best bet is to just pay it. Not sure if you have cats but that ticket can be very exspebsive. You just have to learn to upshift sooner.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    I can compare stories with you all night
    Probably, but I'm still a dirtbag in the end.

I never had any problems when iI lived in PA, but down here in VA, I've been pulled over twice for my exhaust. They don't have any decibel specific laws, so they say it has to be factory diameter. real ghey.
    2006 WRX
    Opensource STG 2, Epic Engineering
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

http://s258.photobucket.com/home/joesubaru7/index
    DD: 2001 2.5RS
    Old: 1998 2.5RS [url]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.