Modified Exhaust Ticket in Phoenixville! - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

This is a discussion on Modified Exhaust Ticket in Phoenixville! within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; *sigh* I have been bested. Okay, you have me beat by a few years. lol My guess is...about 5-10. Yes, ...

Vez
    *sigh* I have been bested. Okay, you have me beat by a few years. lol My guess is...about 5-10.

Yes, the Collegeville site. I started here almost 3 years ago. Wow, you seem to have been intimately involved with GSK (and it's predecessors). Lived in the UK AND Brazil!?! I bet that was fantastic! Brazil... *drool*
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So I thought I'd throw up a little update on that stupid ticket I had gotten in February for the "passing a schoolbus" incident...

I went to court yesterday. I didn't bother with the lawyer. I went to the site where it happened and snapped a few pics to have for the judge to explain my situation.

They called me up...read of the ticket and violation explanation on it and he just looked at me and said "what happened?" Now whenever I get in front of a person of authority...I have a tendency to sort of freeze up and stutter. I get really nervous no matter how much I breathe and try to calm myself down. I had rehearsed EVERYTHING I was going to say for a week on in. But in my explanation all I could get out was "I was turning out of a gas station. The bus was in front of me, perpendicular to me, so I honestly didn't see the lights"

I'm sweating at this point, he still looks at me...looks down at the file, looks at me...stays quiet for about a minute...Longest minute ever. Finally looks up at me..."you gotta be more careful. I'll amend it to no points and no suspension. Fine remains the same" and that was it...instant relief for me.

So, no 60 day suspension of my license...no 5 points on it to kill insurance...all I gotta do is pay the initial $350 fine, which is fine by me because they are allowing me to use a monthly payment plan. I'm also surprised they didn't raise the fine considering I got the other penalties dropped. In Jersey, they will hammer you for more money since they are doing YOU a favor, haha.

Noticing that the judge was being very lenient with the many cases before me, I thanked the judge and the prosecutor and went on my way, very relieved...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Vez
    Congrats! That sounds like it turned out really well (with the exception of the $, but even that...you said there was no increase, so even that worked out!). No points and no suspension...perfect. It sounds like he realiazed it really was an accident and you weren't trying to be a jerk by intentionally passing it knowing that it had it's lights on. I'd take note of the judge's name.... a reasonable judge seems to be a gold mine. lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm glad it worked out for you Mikie!
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

im from pottstown and all my buddies said they got all these tickets in phoenixville for there exhaust too....its a really stupid thing to get a ticket for but there really strict with it there

Vez
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDHdfc View Post
    im from pottstown and all my buddies said they got all these tickets in phoenixville for there exhaust too....its a really stupid thing to get a ticket for but there really strict with it there
    It's not that they're strict, because that would imply that they are enforcing the law to the letter. However, they're not enforcing ANY law without a decibel reading. That means they're just trying to accumulate $ for Phoenixville by issuing tickets that they KNOW are illegal.

It really is a racket.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

It's annoying is what it is

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I think this is good information for all of PA people that are getting these noise tickets. Thanks to this thread I was able to form a much more cohesive argument for court.

I was pulled over by the state police. The trooper stated that he pulled me over because of my exhaust. He stated that ANY modified exhaust in PA is not legal, and that he was going to mail me a ticket. He was in full uniform in a marked car at the time. So he then mails me a ticket for 4523(d) which states that an exhaust cannot be modified if it makes the vehicle louder than legal limits. The law then goes on to state that a test must be done to determine if it is above limits. But you probably know this already if you are reading the whole thread. When I got to court the trooper ask me if I had made the changes to my exhaust... I guess he wanted me to put a stock one back on. I answered, what do you mean, changes? He said that the law states that you cannot modify your exhaust, and I reply that the law actually states that it can be modified as long as it is withing legal limits. He replies, oh... I did not know that, I will just drop the charges then. So it was over in a couple of seconds. But I will keep the $20 sound meter, and a copy of the law in my car and if I ever get pulled over for this again, we are going to do the test on the spot or end the conversation there. BTW, I tested my car and it was 70db when the limit was 76 (under 35, soft) and 71.9db when the limit was 82 (over 45, soft). I have an nvidia up-pipe, nvidia catted down-pipe, and an injen cat-bat on a 2003 WRX MT. Honestly though, it is a nice sounding exhaust that is not too loud... definitely middle of the road of the ones I have heard over the years.

Oh, another note on this whole thing. If it would have just been the actual fine of $25, I may have just paid it to save myself the time and aggravation. But when they tack on EMT other various fees totaling $110.50, and make me pay up-front to enter a not guilty plea... it just makes me mad.
    Wanna ski or ride the park this summer? Check out www.twelve60.com for the upcoming season!

Awesome.. I can begin modding new wrx.. after my warranty runs out. Thank you vez! lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    One of the more impressive things about this is....I didn't even know the lawyer-to-be...he was a friend of a friend. I think that speaks volumes about how good of a person he his. Additionally, his permission for me to pass along his arguments to help anyone else in the same situation.

I hope this helps more people. If anyone has any questions or wants more details, please feel free to ask...here or in a PM. I'm glad to offer as much information as possible.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789