Modified Exhaust Ticket in Phoenixville! - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Modified Exhaust Ticket in Phoenixville! within the Tri-State forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Amazing. It was probably the same guy...younger, in his early 20s.... He told me to call that number too. I ...

Vez
    Amazing. It was probably the same guy...younger, in his early 20s....

He told me to call that number too. I asked why I would need to call that number...I asked why this procedure is any different than say, a speeding ticket. He got angry and then said "Don't call it then; do what you want. I don't care if you call it or not." Then, when I did call, I got the same response as you....voicemail and when I finally spoke with a a person, she said the same thing: the cop should not have given me the number and I should not have called.

Side pipes? I think I met you at the KFC last year when I was in my buddies car for lunch!

My appeals trial is this Thursday in West Chester. I'll let you know the details of what happens and if I come up with anything else. I sent you a PM.
    Last edited by Vez; 02-28-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: I can't spell to save my life...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Good luck with this. Having had personal experiance with the appeals process in Chester county, you are going to need it. Not to bum you out, but it was my experience that regardless of the logic proposed, even when supported by cited case law and current book law, the local judges have total control of their court, and are by accounts, god-like in their powers.

That being said, one thing I thought you might consider is the calibration of the decibal meter you are using. Does it require calibration and if so, does it have an autocalibration function? If not, this could be brought up, much the same way as the calibration of the meters they use to check tint density was successfully used by defendants in the past. In this case though, the onus would be on you to ensure proper calbration as you are the one using the meter. FYI..if you know anyone that works in a manufacturing facility, their safety department will have a calibrated meter that you might be able to use, or even pull up and have do a reading. Large spaces with loud noises are required by OSHA to do dB readings and establish safe-noise corridors. Just a thought if calibration becomes a issue.

Good luck and keep us posted. Don't forget the court of public opinion too though. Your local paper would likely be very interested in a story like this. You seem to be very logical in your approach, and more importantly, have good oratory skills, which would be needed. It never pays to understimate the power of an article that was, say, in the local Judge's electoral area? Just another thought.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Vez
    Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. I had thought about the calibration issue. This particular meter has no autocalibrate and the manual states thet it has been factory calibrated and should not need recalibration. When I read that, I had that knot in my stomach flare up....but there is nothing to be done about it. The OSHA requirement....I hadn't thought of that. Ironically, I just took a safety certification yesterday that is required by OSHA. My timeframe is too small now to be able to track it down in my company.

I just was told I may have issues admitting my tests into evidence because of the striingent rules guiding the admittance of evidence into a case. However, wheter that is the case or not (no pun intended), it would support my argument against the DC since I'm demonstrating the willingness to prove I am not trying to break the law. It seems that I really will have to fight the DC moreso than the reason why I was cited. However, I still plan on explaining why I feel it was wrongly cited as DC, explain how there was no measurements taken, show that I was willing to do tests myself and according to my results, I am well within the legal limits set by the PA General Assemblt. This, coupleed with the officers testimony from the previous trial which verified that, when I was pulled over, I made the statement pertaining to my prior research to make sure I was not breaking any laws. Using all of this, I think makes a strong argument against my intentionally trying to break the law thus nullifying the DC charge. At least, that is my current plan and hopes. :P
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..

Vez
    Again, measurements taken from 50'...

Idle: 54 dB
    Horn: 84
    4th Gear@45MPH: 75
    5th Gear@45MPH: 72
    6th Gear@45MPH: 69

So, like I've previously stated, when I'm at 45 MPH I'm either in 4th or 5th gear. This puts me at an average of 73.5 dB...2.5dB over the average I found. I truly believe the lower pitch of the exhaust note, especially in the lower gears, makes it sound "louder", and it may actually be louder than a stock STI exhaust... albeit not by much, but I think it's this lower pitch which produces the effect that makes it seemingly sound louder.

My other measurements:
    4th@3k RPM: 75
    4th@4k RPM: 76
    4th@5k RPM: 82

5th@2k RPM: 71
    5th@3k RPM: 76
    5th@4k RPM: 79

6th@2k RPM: 71
    6th@3k RPM: 80
    Last edited by Vez; 02-10-2009 at 10:14 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

Wow Vez...I had no clue you were going through this dude! Subscribing and definitely wish the best of luck in this deal. Its retarded. I hate how some "officials" are blind. We've all dealt with it in some way or another...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Good luck with the appeal tomorrow Vez!
    You deserve to win with all the research and work you've put in to beat this ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by rexbro View Post
    Good luck with the appeal tomorrow Vez!
    You deserve to win with all the research and work you've put in to beat this ticket.
    +1 Go get 'em Vez!
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Vez
    Thanks, guys. I will be posting the results later today...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

I Support ClubWRX
    Subscribed for possible future reference. Good luck! Damn The Man!

Vez

Trial Results....

Commonwealth of PA..........0
    Car Enthusiasts..................1

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!! I have some errands to run, but I will write up a detailed post later tonight...tomorrow at the latest, explaining everything.

Thank you all, again, for your help and support. A special thanks to BlueHeavenWRX, Rexbro, and a law-school-student friend who prepared my argument for me!!! Wow, did he do an outstanding job!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081

DUDE! Congrats!!!

That is definitely a win for Car Enthusiasts everywhere. The best thing is, you now provide another clear cut evidence-based case to refer to for anyone else who ever decides to fight BS like this. Definitely exciting news!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    Commonwealth of PA..........0
    Car Enthusiasts..................1

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!! I have some errands to run, but I will write up a detailed post later tonight...tomorrow at the latest, explaining everything.

Thank you all, again, for your help and support. A special thanks to BlueHeavenWRX, Rexbro, and a law-school-student friend who prepared my argument for me!!! Wow, did he do an outstanding job!
    Awesome! Good to know if I ever get a ticket there I do have a chance. Cant wait to read the full write-up.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Bravo! Nicely Done Sir!!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome. That's all I can say. It is so rare these days to hear of a successful fight against the coursts regarding auto modifications. Damn nice!

Your law student friend could have a burgeoning side line of writing arguments for modified car owners. He might like to hear something like that.

Congrats!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    NICE! Just when I thought there wasn't an ounce of real justice left in the court system, you take it to them. Can't wait to hear the details.